What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How much are tubs marked up?  (Read 16392 times)

Newbie25

How much are tubs marked up?
« on: July 08, 2012, 09:09:34 pm »
I'm considering a Hotspring Hot spot Relay at $5830 with cover, start-up chems, delivery and subpanel.  I posted before but only received 1 response from a Hotspring affiliate.  There is not much info on pricing so could someone who does not represent Hotspring help us on how much we SHOULD spend on this tub? 

Hot Tub Forum

How much are tubs marked up?
« on: July 08, 2012, 09:09:34 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: How much are tubs marked up?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 10:19:46 pm »
 You should spend about 5825.00  Ya know dealers do not really get rich off a spa sale, they have overhead like trucking cost, delivery cost, the sub panel cost, oh and then there is that whole I have to keep my employees employed cost, fuel cost, insurance cost.  Would you like me to keep going cause this cost me money, it's my time to answer this, oh wait I am off today. I will charge you Monday.    5830.00 is a good price for that spa, if it's anywhere my cost are for a J-235 and I should know.  It's a good price.  If you are happy with the spa and the dealer buy it, he is not taking you to the bank. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 10:33:52 pm by Jacuzzi Jim »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 12:07:10 am »
Hey Jim, you ever get your Lear jet working? Or are we just going to stick to racing our Ferraris? I know I know, owning a business and working 70 - 90 hours a week doesn't leave much time for fun...but come on! Lets spend some of that bank!
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 12:15:11 am »
Hey Jim, you ever get your Lear jet working? Or are we just going to stick to racing our Ferraris? I know I know, owning a business and working 70 - 90 hours a week doesn't leave much time for fun...but come on! Lets spend some of that bank!

Fortunatly I don't own the business, but I do the purchasing and ok the bills to be paid on the spa side.   And I know it's not cheap!!    But the owners Ferrari is in the shop.  ;)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 12:25:22 am »
If a dealer answers for you, they are going to say, "enough to keep us in business so we can be here for your warranty."

If a shopper answers with what THEY paid for the exact same spa, you can't use the number unless it came from the same dealer you are shopping because the prices reflect the cost of doing business in very different parts of the country or world. And then one dealer makes all his money on spa sales, another may have other parts to the business making money, while still another dealer may have other areas of the business losing money...

I'm sorry, but I have some bad news for you: there is no way to get somebody else's price for you spa, and unless somebody just happens to be on the web boards who just bought a Relay, you're not likely to get many other responses - again, sorry.

But if you like the tub, and feel comfortable with the dealer, ask them to include a step and a lifter, and enjoy your new tub!!

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Newbie25

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 10:41:52 am »
Thank you for the replies, some of you were very helpful.  Try to remember people come to these forums for help and the sarcastic assumption that everyone else should know what you know only serves to shy people away from asking questions, (unless I'm mistaken, this is the purpose of this forum).  Dr. Spa, your reply was completely irrelevant and uncalled for.  If you're not going to be helpful, why bother to reply unless you just enjoy being difficult!

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 10:48:59 am »
regardless of what you "know" about markup the dealer is still going to sell it for at least the minimum amount he needs to keep his doors open, knowing the markup does not help in any way, shape or form in negotiations, just an fyi....but yes as I stated in your other thread that is a great price for that tub

Newbie25

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 11:09:55 am »
Thanks again.  We're scheduling a test soak, something I would not have known to do if not for this forum.  If all goes well, we'll close the deal!

sorebikr

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 12:10:55 pm »
regardless of what you "know" about markup the dealer is still going to sell it for at least the minimum amount he needs to keep his doors open, knowing the markup does not help in any way, shape or form in negotiations, just an fyi....but yes as I stated in your other thread that is a great price for that tub

After 2,500 posts, I think he's entitled to make jokes once in a while. 

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 12:11:13 pm »
I totally forgot to say this: We sell it for just slightly above that price, with step, cover, a start-up supply kit, delivery, sub panel, and Rubber Ducky for fun.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 12:44:46 pm »
Thanks again.  We're scheduling a test soak, something I would not have known to do if not for this forum.  If all goes well, we'll close the deal!

did someone say wet test? yes come on in, the water is warm and the ducks don't bite  8)

d00nut

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 02:03:56 pm »

did someone say wet test? yes come on in, the water is warm and the ducks don't bite  8)

The new Hot Spring siding makes it so much better than a Caldera!

goose973

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 02:13:42 pm »
Newbie, I came on this forum several months ago and asked a very similar question, only it was about Sundance tubs. I got about the same response, and, yes, I got some wise guys that busted my chops for asking if I was getting a fair price. You see, there is no guide to hot tub prices, no resource that clearly states what they cost the dealer, etc. I would agree that you have to like the tub AND the dealer you're buying it from (very important), and I would pay a little more to get both if I had to. However, I refuse to pay more than I have to if the tub and dealer reputations are equal. I would advise you to shop the same tub at another dealer and see what they want for it. I did, and saved $1200 on the exact package from another dealer I like. That's about the only way to make sure you aren't grossly overpaying.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 03:56:33 pm »
Its a fair question. No one wants to feel they have paid too much. This forum has consumers and dealers. The consumers want the best deal they can get and the dealers want to make a living so there is bound to be conflict. As long as we can be polite I am sure we can all get along, but some have more of a problem with that than others

My experience was to decide the tub that I wanted and then visit three reputable dealers and play one off against the other. They have a margin just like any retailer and will know what there minimum profit will be. The trick is to get them as close to that as possible and also get the extras thrown in.. installation, steps, cover litter, chemicals, crane lift etc.
If you were buying a car you would do the same, mats, service, a full tank of fuel etc so its no different buying a tub. Get what you can. The dealer won't sell it to you if he's not making a profit!

sorebikr

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 05:51:35 pm »
My experience was to decide the tub that I wanted and then visit three reputable dealers and play one off against the other. They have a margin just like any retailer and will know what there minimum profit will be. The trick is to get them as close to that as possible and also get the extras thrown in.. installation, steps, cover litter, chemicals, crane lift etc.
If you were buying a car you would do the same, mats, service, a full tank of fuel etc so its no different buying a tub. Get what you can. The dealer won't sell it to you if he's not making a profit!

And therein lies the rub, or to be put another way, my Economics major finally has some bearing on reality.  If you happen to be in an area where you have 3 dealers selling the same brands within a reasonable distance of your house, then you benefit from the over-supply with lower prices.  If however, you were like me in the middle of nowhere PA, you end up with a choice of 3 different dealers in a 200 mile radius.  Hard to negotiate well within a oligopoly.  So if you find yourself in the latter situation, figure out the tub that makes you happiest for the price you can afford with a dealer your comfortable with and go soak.  Over the life of the tub, the few hundred buck you might've saved will net out to $7/mo.  Not really enough to keep you up at night. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 05:51:35 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42