What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caught in "Analysis Paralysis"  (Read 10662 times)

ATC Buckeye

Caught in "Analysis Paralysis"
« on: June 30, 2012, 10:03:27 am »
Hello, I've been lurking around since I started shopping for my first tub, and now I'm caught in this over-analysis loop.  I always do this, especially with big purchases like this one.  Anyway, some quick info, this tub will be used 95% of the time by my wife and I, and eventually our kid (and hopefully someday, another kid).   I'm not too concerned about ultra-hydrotherapy, more just a nice place to relax and soak.  Since we've had a kid, we obviously spend a lot more time at home in the evenings than we used to.  I'm going to build a little 4x10 deck off my laundry room, which will lead out to a 10x12 concrete pad for the tub to sit on, and a sidewalk that will connect the tub area to my existing patio.   That way I can step out of my house, onto the little deck and right into the tub.

Anyway, my biggest hangup is that I'm 6'6", so naturally a lot of tubs that we've sat in don't have seats (especially loungers) that fit me.  I really want a lounger but not one that I'm folded up like a sardine in.  We've looked at the following:

Artesian South Seas (too small)
Hot Springs Hot Spot Tempo (lounger doesn't fit me)
Viking Destiny River Tradition and Heritage (both fit me really nice, one has a lounger, one doesn't)

And finally, the one I'm seriously considering, is a Coast PL40 refurbished model.

The Coast is really an attractive option. The sales woman says it's a $10,000 spa new My hangups are that it's from 2002 so that seems quite a bit old, and it has a cedar cabinet instead of synthetic, which seems to be easier to take care of.  The dealer that's selling it is brokering it for one of their customers an older couple that used it in a sunroom.  It's never been used outside, is in excellent condition, and they have done all the service on it.  It got a new control board in 2007 and one new pump in 2008.  It also comes with a new $450 (according to the sales woman) cover.  They're asking $3600.  It seems expensive for a 10 year old tub, but for real it's in great condition.  And, the biggest plus, is it fits me 100% perfectly, in all seats, and has the exact setup my wife and I are looking for.  They offer wet demonstration and testing before I have to pay them anything, and a 90 day 50% off any service needed warranty as well as a 90 day trade in guarantee.

I think i'm narrowing it down to the Vikings, or the Coast.  Any opinions would be awesome.  I've attached some pictures of the Coast.   It's got everything we want, minus the age.

Thanks everyone.

Hot Tub Forum

Caught in "Analysis Paralysis"
« on: June 30, 2012, 10:03:27 am »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: Caught in "Analysis Paralysis"
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 11:23:54 am »
The refurb'd Coast looks really clean, it wouldn't be so bad to start with something "cheaper" so you can determine how much your really going to use it.  Nothing worse than dropping 9 or 10k on something to find out you really don't use it much (just ask 80% of boat owners  ;D)  If you are interested I'd go down there with $3000-$3200 in cash and make a deal...gl

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 01:09:46 pm »
The refurb'd Coast looks really clean, it wouldn't be so bad to start with something "cheaper" so you can determine how much your really going to use it.  Nothing worse than dropping 9 or 10k on something to find out you really don't use it much (just ask 80% of boat owners  ;D)  If you are interested I'd go down there with $3000-$3200 in cash and make a deal...gl

This sounds like a good plan!    They putting any kind of a warranty on it?   Might bring it up while negotiating, least 6 months or a year parts/labor would be nice. 

ATC Buckeye

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 01:44:44 pm »
It's 90 days, they will pay half the repair bill, if anything comes up.  I liked the dealer quite a bit, and it's close to my house.   Also, within that 90 days, I can exchange it for another refurb, or a new spa minus freight charges.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 02:41:11 pm »
That cabinet looks GREAT - are you sure it's not composite of some kind? Wow!

Minor point: I have never liked tubs which put a lip around the top of the cabinet/under the lip of the shell. Tends to collect water which can make it into the cabinet if that joint is not sealed with silicone or caulk or something.

Certainly not a big deal, and in your case I don't think it outweighs the fact that this tub FITS you, but I thought I would bring it up because it's a very slow day in the store so far...

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

ATC Buckeye

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 02:47:01 pm »
That cabinet looks GREAT - are you sure it's not composite of some kind? Wow!

Minor point: I have never liked tubs which put a lip around the top of the cabinet/under the lip of the shell. Tends to collect water which can make it into the cabinet if that joint is not sealed with silicone or caulk or something.

Certainly not a big deal, and in your case I don't think it outweighs the fact that this tub FITS you, but I thought I would bring it up because it's a very slow day in the store so far...

8)

It's cedar.  And yeah it's gorgeous.  You can tell it's been indoors its whole life. I really like the tub, I'm just concerned about that 10 year age, when I can get a brand new Viking for not much more.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 08:26:27 pm »
That spa has been kept indoors it would seem and while it looks very nice for that vintage its still $3600 for a 10 year old tub which is high IMO even in that condition because its till 10 years old and without a warranty. I'd offer less and expect to haggle but if they are firm simply compare it to your others chocies and let your gut decide.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Philpug

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 09:53:09 am »
10 year old efficiency too. If they are "brokering" it for another customer, it is going to be tough to get them to warranty it. Ask how it will be backed after purchase?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 10:05:51 am »
Can you describe/explain how "efficiency" for spas has changed in the last 10 years?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

ATC Buckeye

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 10:52:40 am »
10 year old efficiency too. If they are "brokering" it for another customer, it is going to be tough to get them to warranty it. Ask how it will be backed after purchase?

The warranty on their refurbished tubs is 90 days, they will pay half the repair bill, if anything comes up. They've gone through it already, and have serviced it at this location since new.  I liked the dealer quite a bit, and it's close to my house.   Also, within that 90 days, I can exchange it for another refurb, or a new spa minus freight charges.  I also get the chance to see and test it full and operating before forking over any dough.

I would also like to know if efficiency has changed in the last 10 years.  This tub has full foam insulation, and seems well made.  Also the cover is new and will hopefully insulate well.  I'm definitely not interested in buying something that will cost me a small fortune to operate.

I visited a hot springs dealer that claimed $25 a month to run his Hot Spot Tempo, where the sales woman for the refurbed Coast seemed much more realistic at 30-80 a month depending on the hundred different factors that determine operational costs.  I tend to believe she's being more honest than the Hot Springs guy.

Philpug

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 04:31:30 pm »

The warranty on their refurbished tubs is 90 days, they will pay half the repair bill, if anything comes up. They've gone through it already, and have serviced it at this location since new.  I liked the dealer quite a bit, and it's close to my house.   Also, within that 90 days, I can exchange it for another refurb, or a new spa minus freight charges.  I also get the chance to see and test it full and operating before forking over any dough.

I would also like to know if efficiency has changed in the last 10 years.  This tub has full foam insulation, and seems well made.  Also the cover is new and will hopefully insulate well.  I'm definitely not interested in buying something that will cost me a small fortune to operate.

I visited a hot springs dealer that claimed $25 a month to run his Hot Spot Tempo, where the sales woman for the refurbed Coast seemed much more realistic at 30-80 a month depending on the hundred different factors that determine operational costs.  I tend to believe she's being more honest than the Hot Springs guy.

That is all good news that they are standing behind it and you have the chance to upgrade in 90 days. If you have a warm and fuzzy feeling of the place and feel comfortable with them, all the better. My guess for the heating/efficiency costs will be somewhere in the middle of the numbers you have, a warmer region, on the low side and a colder region on the higher end.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 04:42:55 pm »
Can you describe/explain how "efficiency" for spas has changed in the last 10 years?

I'd like an answer to this as well...industry "standard" assuming the coast is a  full foam spa is going to be a 1/2lb urethane foam...well in my estimation a 1/2lb foam 10 years ago vs a 1/2lb foam today is going to be exactly the same

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 07:54:39 pm »
I would be surprised if there is much of a difference in the efficiency.

I suppose some changes which you could very easily check would be:

Do the jets feed in cold, outside air or are they doing something (pretty much anything) to recapture some heat from the motor compartment?

Is the cover good - or better yet: new?

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

ATC Buckeye

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 08:03:26 pm »
It is full foam. 

And it comes with a new cover that the dealer says is about $450, can't confirm nor deny that price.  But it is new.

ATC Buckeye

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 09:21:53 am »
well, yesterday we went around and sat in all the available brands around here.  And to be perfectly honest, this one is the only one that satisfies all our requirements, and its significantly cheaper than our next favorite, the Sundance Chelsee.  I still feel like its awfully expensive considering its age.  But the condition is awesome.  Tough call.  Is there a life expectancy for these?  Id hope to keep it for 10 years or more.  I plan to live in this house until I retire at least.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 09:21:53 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42