What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: PH issues  (Read 3234 times)

smackman

PH issues
« on: June 05, 2012, 09:48:35 am »
My PH is High from the tap water. It takes approx. 1 lb of PH down to achieve the proper PH and Alkalinity(PH 7.6 Alkalinity approx. 120). My Calcium Hardness is low so I add Calcium Chloride to get a reading of 150. I add calcium Hardness then wait 2 hours before I add PH Down. After the PH,Alkalinity and Calcium Hardness are within the "limits" I start adding the Sanitizer.

Here is my Question:
Does the Calcium Chloride cause the PH to go Higher? It just takes a lot of PH down to get my PH and Alkalinity in order. I have to raise my calcium hardness or my Hot Tub is as slick as Whale poop.

Hot Tub Forum

PH issues
« on: June 05, 2012, 09:48:35 am »

sorebikr

Re: PH issues
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 09:59:53 am »
Out of curiosity, what sort of tub do you have?  In ground, acrylic? I only recently learned that water hardness is irrelevant if you have an acrylic shell and the tub isn't near concrete where pitting would be a concern. 

smackman

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 10:23:49 am »
Out of curiosity, what sort of tub do you have?  In ground, acrylic? I only recently learned that water hardness is irrelevant if you have an acrylic shell and the tub isn't near concrete where pitting would be a concern.

I believe it is Acrylic. It is a Jacuzzi 2010 J-465. I understand what you are saying but my water is so soft that getting in and out of the Hot Tub can be a Hazard because it is so slippery from low Calcium Hardness. Also, I was told that soft water would suds quicker than a properly balance Hot Tub.
Maybe on of the experts will weigh in.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 11:09:09 am »
CH 100-150 is a good range
I like Alk. around 80-100ppm

I have areas around here where some tubs take 28+ ounces to drive alk. and pH down...if you don't like using so much product you can pick up a gallon of acid at Menards... I know there is conversion charts on the web for calculating how much to add

smackman

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 01:56:15 pm »
CH 100-150 is a good range
I like Alk. around 80-100ppm

I have areas around here where some tubs take 28+ ounces to drive alk. and pH down...if you don't like using so much product you can pick up a gallon of acid at Menards... I know there is conversion charts on the web for calculating how much to add

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 01:56:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42