What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Salt Chlorine generators for spas  (Read 6284 times)

laker

Salt Chlorine generators for spas
« on: June 02, 2012, 01:55:16 pm »
Getting quite a few calls lately from customers looking for chlorine generators for spas. How many techs and dealers have started selling these and what kind of feedback are you getting? I heard that Hot Springs is selling some spas with this technology. I've felt that most manufacturers distance themselves from this technology because of corrosion concerns. As successful as saltwater pools have been it's only a matter of time before consumers insist on a spa version. What's the best aftermarket inline product out there?

Hot Tub Forum

Salt Chlorine generators for spas
« on: June 02, 2012, 01:55:16 pm »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: Salt Chlorine generators for spas
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 03:51:30 pm »
We have been selling the Hot Spring ACE Saltwater system since its inception, I'll admit the first year (mid 09-mid 2010) there was some hiccups with the system but since they have introduced a redesigned cell and the systems have been working quite well since those updates.  Salt levels are maintained right around 1400-1500ppm so corrosion is not an issue.  Of course I have had several customers requesting an option for pre 2009 models and have directed a few to the Chlormaker inline system that can be found online and have been installed with good success for the small sample size I have encountered...one thing to note is you of course need "circulation" for the generators to work so having a 24hr circulation pump is the optimal scenario for the Chlormaker.  These systems run around 2,000ppm and can be had for around $325 I believe

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 11:26:57 am »
I have sold ozone systems as far back as the eighties. Del sent some engineers to my showroom floor to take measurements and size up the tubs for systems which used the the circ pump and some of the built-in plumbing. Watkins did not support that, and generally asked that we dealers not encourage ozone sales. I think they were concerned over the fact that some of our customers would go completely chlorine free and get a rash.  Now, they combine ozone with silver ions AND MPS oxidizer, backed up with occasional dosing of chlorine.

Also, they redesigned the tubs with a "contact chamber" which extends the amount of time the ozone is in contact with the water, greatly reducing off-gassing and making the systems actually work!

I know HotSpring announced a new ACE system which retrofits older HotSpring tubs - I just can't recall how far back it goes. I can find out on Monday if anyone wants to know, but I do know that it has a control head of it's own instead of integrating with the IQ-2020 box. I know that you must have the 'pass through' fitting in the filter box, and I don't think it will work with the IQ-2000 system.

HTH

8)

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 05:30:59 pm »
I have sold ozone systems as far back as the eighties. Del sent some engineers to my showroom floor to take measurements and size up the tubs for systems which used the the circ pump and some of the built-in plumbing. Watkins did not support that, and generally asked that we dealers not encourage ozone sales. I think they were concerned over the fact that some of our customers would go completely chlorine free and get a rash.  Now, they combine ozone with silver ions AND MPS oxidizer, backed up with occasional dosing of chlorine.

Also, they redesigned the tubs with a "contact chamber" which extends the amount of time the ozone is in contact with the water, greatly reducing off-gassing and making the systems actually work!

I know HotSpring announced a new ACE system which retrofits older HotSpring tubs - I just can't recall how far back it goes. I can find out on Monday if anyone wants to know, but I do know that it has a control head of it's own instead of integrating with the IQ-2020 box. I know that you must have the 'pass through' fitting in the filter box, and I don't think it will work with the IQ-2000 system.

HTH

8)

as far as the retrofit is concerned you basically cut a small hole and mount a new small "salt system control panel" which has 2 knobs to adjust ouput.  I know some of the older tubs already had a hole in place for the autofresh system so the cell cable would still be run through that same hole.  There is more info. available but this is just what I saw when I was at the factory in March of this year

chem geek

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 02:15:33 am »
Just note that the ACE system is more than a saltwater chlorine generator.  It is also a very powerful oxidizing system.  It's boron-doped diamond electrodes produce hydroxyl radicals at a fairly high rate that are more powerful oxidizers than even ozone, though are very short-lived (so don't enter into the main spa).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 04:10:26 am by chem geek »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 04:47:30 pm »
Awesome info - thanks!

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 04:47:30 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42