What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New owner. Help needed about chemicals  (Read 3753 times)

Jengef

New owner. Help needed about chemicals
« on: May 23, 2012, 06:02:06 pm »
Just bought a hotsprings grandee hottub. It's 6 years old but is immaculate , the delivery/installer man said he's never seen one in such good condition. I'm just a bit confused about how/when to put the chlorine granules in. The delivery man said 1 tsp each morning. The man in the office said 1 tsp per person that's been in it when we get out for the evening. The instructions just say check levels and alter accordingly. I'm so confused.
How long before it becomes second nature. 

Hot Tub Forum

New owner. Help needed about chemicals
« on: May 23, 2012, 06:02:06 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: New owner. Help needed about chemicals
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 06:35:09 pm »
Just bought a hotsprings grandee hottub. It's 6 years old but is immaculate , the delivery/installer man said he's never seen one in such good condition. I'm just a bit confused about how/when to put the chlorine granules in. The delivery man said 1 tsp each morning. The man in the office said 1 tsp per person that's been in it when we get out for the evening. The instructions just say check levels and alter accordingly. I'm so confused.
How long before it becomes second nature.

Add daily?! No way.

I follow general method of adding 1 generous tsp/person of chlorine granules after each use, check ph/alk weekly (or so) and adjust as needed, shock every couple weeks (or so) and clean the filters every month (or so).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Jengef

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 03:44:41 pm »
Thankyou spatech_tuo, much appreciated. Im so worried about it. Already worried about 3 months time when I come to emptying and refilling.  Stupidly went on a water meter 2 months ago as well might have to ask to have it taken out  :)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 04:33:10 pm »
Thankyou spatech_tuo, much appreciated. Im so worried about it. Already worried about 3 months time when I come to emptying and refilling.  Stupidly went on a water meter 2 months ago as well might have to ask to have it taken out  :)

The first time around you might refill after just a couple months due to intial heavy use and getting accilimated with water care but once you get the hang of things (and you will) you'll be able to get more than 3 months I have no doubt unless you've got a bunch of kids going in. I go 4, 5 and even sometimes 6 months between refills.

Jengef

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 06:21:33 pm »
Thanks again. Another question if u don't mind, if we are using the tub all evening do I need to add chlorine during use and if people are in it or just wait till we finished or the evening. Sorry to sound so dumb.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 06:58:31 pm »
Thanks again. Another question if u don't mind, if we are using the tub all evening do I need to add chlorine during use and if people are in it or just wait till we finished or the evening. Sorry to sound so dumb.

Wait until you are done unless you have really dirty friends going in and in that case you might want to hose them off before they get in and then find cleaner friends.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 09:38:13 am »
People getting in and out during the length of an evening is a clear call to keep a bit of chlorine in the tub. Add it discreetly (sneak it in a pill bottle or some similar plastic container) but add it!

And yes, all kidding aside, if you can get your guests to rinse off you will save money on chlorine, and be safer. Here in this beach community many houses have outdoor showers. They are put in primarily to rinse off sand and/or sunscreen after a visit to the beach, but they are great ways to allow a guest to enjoy a quick rinse before entering the tub.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 09:38:13 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42