What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pad/patio  (Read 5810 times)

ronsno

Pad/patio
« on: May 20, 2012, 01:29:43 pm »
We did it, we put in an order for a Jacuzzi J-345.  In preparation for our new tub, we are expanding our patios and creating a separate pad for the hot tub itself.  A little background, I'm trying to hide the tub.  We have a very nice landscape that we have done ourselves.  My wife is in the horticulture industry and is very concerned about the look of the hot tub.  So I'm setting it next to the house on one of the sides and we are going to landscape on two sides of the tub.  The only angle you will see it is from the entrance to the tub which is to the back/far-side as you approach.  From our patio you won't be able to see it.  To get to the entrance you walk around it to what would appear to be the backside/far-side from the patio.

The question is how big should we make the pad for the tub.  The pad is going to be exposed concrete aggregate to match the rest of our patios.  The outside dimensions of the tub are 84"X84".  The bottom pan of the tub is 78"X78".  Should the pad be 78X78 just large enough for the pan; 84X84 as large as the perimeter; or larger than the tub? Again 2 sides will be landscaping including large boulders 18-24" high.  The lift is going to open towards the house.  The tub will be 12" from the house.  The lift needs 10".  My gut reaction is 78X78 or maybe slightly larger, 80X80.  Thanks in advance ;D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:32:49 pm by ronsno »

Hot Tub Forum

Pad/patio
« on: May 20, 2012, 01:29:43 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Pad/patio
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 04:36:18 pm »
As 78"x78" will be permanently covered by the spa, why would you spend the $ to make it exposed aggregate??? I'd come out at least 2' in front of the spa where you'll be entering, to at least be able to put a set of steps.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

ronsno

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 06:23:29 pm »
Were exposing the aggregate to match the rest of the patios, but if it's completely covered it doesn't need it.  So if we go 78X78 we wouldn't expose the aggregate only if we have anything visible.  That's basically my question, should we have an edge?  We are going to have steps built that will be the full length of the entry side.

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 06:49:26 pm »
Are you going to be using the steps? If so, if the pad is too small the steps will be sitting on no padded ground if that's ok.

ronsno

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 08:44:57 pm »
We are going to have a custom built step/landing pad, that will be the full length of the tub.  We are waiting to see how it turns out before they are built.  This entry side is compacted quarter minus gravel.  We have these quarter minus gravel paths around our house. So its very natural. We may have the step built into big rocks.  The steps could rest on the gravel.  The problem with extending the pad this direction is we don't know what the step will look like yet or how big.

ronsno

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 08:55:42 pm »
Let me rephrase the question.  If we have the pad only as big as the tub, do want it only as big as the pan or as big as the perimeter, or slightly bigger than the perimeter. 

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 12:41:19 pm »
   Yes you want to have the pad a bit bigger than the base of the spa.  The base of the J-345 is actually 73X73 so you could make your base say 6'2" by 6'2" and be fine or a bit bigger really whatever works for you. 

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 01:10:20 pm »
Let me rephrase the question.  If we have the pad only as big as the tub, do want it only as big as the pan or as big as the perimeter, or slightly bigger than the perimeter.

Technically it only needs to be the size of the pan though unless your desire is to not have any pad showing I'd go a couple inches beyond just so I don't have to be perfect with placement. Actually I would also extend it in the front of the spa so you have an area to place steps.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

ronsno

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 02:36:41 pm »
Thanks guys ;D

Bill

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 10:19:15 am »
Another thing to consider if you haven't already, is keeping access to the guts of the tub for servicing.  You don't want to have to move a bunch of boulders, decking, steps to open her up.

ronsno

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 11:31:35 am »
Thanks for the advice.

The front side (controller), except for stairs, and the left side are open.  Only about 18" of the left side is next to the house. The area opens up after that.  The right side will have landscaping/shrubs, but placed far enough away to get access if we had to.  Even the backside with the boulders will have at least 12".  The illusion of being hidden comes from plants that will grow higher than the tub.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 11:31:35 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42