What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Generic filter threads broke  (Read 7659 times)

smackman

Generic filter threads broke
« on: May 02, 2012, 11:18:43 am »
I just installed a new Filbur Filter in my J 465 2 weeks ago and the threads are already broke. I pulled the filter because I noticed a lot of bubbles coming from the bottom when I was checking my bromine tablets inside the filter. The threads were so soft.

This is my 1st generic and I guess last Generic Filter. I have never had a issue before. I was told years ago never to screw a filter in real tight.

Should I just stick with OEM filters? Maybe I just had bad luck but the threads were super soft when I pulled it. I know heat would cause some of this but I have never had threads this soft feeling.

Hot Tub Forum

Generic filter threads broke
« on: May 02, 2012, 11:18:43 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Generic filter threads broke
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 11:23:09 am »
I use OEM filters most of the time, but I have had good luck with

Unicel as well. Though - it IS a little creepy having them stare at me as I get into my tub...

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 11:31:23 am »

Unicel as well. Though - it IS a little creepy having them stare at me as I get into my tub...

8)

Does their mascot haev a name? I vote for "Phil Terd".
220, 221, whatever it takes!

smackman

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 12:08:55 pm »

8)

Does their mascot haev a name? I vote for "Phil Terd".

LOL Great name

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 12:12:18 pm »
I was thinking of:

D. Pleated

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 02:13:45 pm »
 "Phil Tration"

Flyonthewall

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 04:11:05 pm »
you keep your bromine tabs in the filter compartment?  to you chem guys smarter than me, is that normal?  i've recently seen a few cases where hard plastic on filters turned into a soft, pliable material.  in one extreme case using spa system flush released the broken down compound from the pipes and deposited as a cat in the hat style tub ring.  i always assumed they were doing something out of the ordinary chemically.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 04:43:50 pm »
FYI, this is not really a "generic" filter. The big 3 filter manufacturers are Unicel, Pleatco and Filbur. Virtually all spa manufacturers use a filter from one of them (NO spa manufacturer makes their own filters)
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

smackman

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 05:06:23 pm »
you keep your bromine tabs in the filter compartment?  to you chem guys smarter than me, is that normal?  i've recently seen a few cases where hard plastic on filters turned into a soft, pliable material.  in one extreme case using spa system flush released the broken down compound from the pipes and deposited as a cat in the hat style tub ring.  i always assumed they were doing something out of the ordinary chemically.

The filter has a compartment on top where there is a sleeve attached to it; It come built into the filter. This is where I was told to put the Bromine Tablets. Look at #7 0n this web page;
http://pdf.archiexpo.com/pdf/jacuzzi/accessories-brochure/61902-64203-_13.html

smackman

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 05:13:57 pm »
FYI, this is not really a "generic" filter. The big 3 filter manufacturers are Unicel, Pleatco and Filbur. Virtually all spa manufacturers use a filter from one of them (NO spa manufacturer makes their own filters)
Its the only filter I have ever had where the threads broke after 2 weeks of use. I am very cautious of over tightening; These threads were so soft when removed from the water. I checked the secondary OEM filter threads and they were as hard as the day they were put in a year ago.

Maybe I just got a bad filter. It could be a bad idea putting the Bromine inside the filter. If I used a floating device, It would stay at the weir which would be 6 inches further from where the tablets are now.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 05:17:21 pm by smackman »

smackman

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 06:03:25 pm »
After thinking about it, I took the bromine tablets out of the center of the filter and will use my bromine float.

Bromine can generate heat under the right conditions; It is worth a try

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 06:03:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42