What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Overwhelmed with hot tub decision  (Read 10487 times)

Knight1001

Overwhelmed with hot tub decision
« on: April 04, 2012, 12:38:31 pm »
Hey everyone,

After browsing the internet for weeks looking for hot tub information, I have come to find these forums to be the best/most consistent/most recent. Hopefully I can get some sound advice/guidance from someone that isn't a local salesman.

I am looking for a hot tub, with the following basics:
6-7 Seater (4 comfortable), 375+ gallons, maybe a Lounger?, 40-60 jets, and some sort of lighting system. Initially it will be put on sand or those portable slabs, and eventually on or in a deck. (House being built in July) Don't need sound, waterfall/stream would be cool but not needed.

Originally I REALLY wanted a lounger, but I haven't wet tested anything yet. (Will be in a few weeks). If I stick with a 7x7, I'll go without a lounger because of the limited space. If I can find an 8x8 that I like, I may include a lounger. Price and quality are my two main concerns. I don't want cheap garbage, but I don't want overpriced mediocre stuff. Looking for the best bang for the buck in my price range, which seems to be around $11k (cad) before taxes.

For local dealers, I have a variety. Jacuzzi, Coast Spas (Hot Springs/Hot spot as well), Vita Spas, Arctic (Clearwater/Coyote), Dynasty, Aloha Spas, and maybe a few others.

Initially I really liked the Vita spas Envie. It was through the dealer I bought my pool table from. It felt like a good size with most of what I wanted. After trying to research them I haven't come up with much info, which of course scares me a little. Comparing to that, I visited the Aloha (I believe they are chinese made, with Balboa systems). The sales lady was good, and seemed very honest and open. Wasn't sure I felt comfortable with shipping everything from China. The Jacuzzi rep wasn't in so I didn't get to talk to them, but their listed prices were way too high.

I traveled to coast spas after, and the sales lady was terrible. Seemed new (didn't have business cards), and didn't know much about anything. Also, she quoted me on two spas, and completely botched the math on the quote. Somehow the cheaper tub ended up being more expensive than the larger tub. I left somewhat disappointed because I read good things about Hot Springs.

Then I stumbled upon Arctic spas. The salesman (owner) there blew me away. Seriously, couldn't have asked for a better experience with a dealer. I felt comfortable. We sat in the dry tubs, and talked about a wet test when we get back in the country. Spent almost 2 hours there. The Arctic spas do seem more expensive than all the rest, which is disheartening. After comparing the 7x7 Yukon to the 8x8 Envie, and the larger Hot Springs/coast, it felt overpriced. He was pretty firm on his price which bugged me a bit. I understand he needs to make money, but I also understand that the mark up is significant. I worked in retail for years with electronics, so I understand the sales game. One thing that scared me from here was the initial setup couldn't be done, because they don't do the electrical part.

Does anyone have experience with, or comments (opinions), about any of these companies? Maybe some guidance on what I can expect to get for that price listed above (11k cad)

Thanks ahead of time, for anyone with a moment to discuss things. Much appreciated!

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 12:42:18 pm by Knight1001 »

Hot Tub Forum

Overwhelmed with hot tub decision
« on: April 04, 2012, 12:38:31 pm »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: Overwhelmed with hot tub decision
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 01:51:34 pm »
based on your info. my favorite tubs/recommendations in that range are a Hot Spring Vanguard or a Jacuzzi J-365....both of those models also have "sister" tubs with loungers as well...the Hot Spring would be a Aria and the Jacuzzi J-355.....of course personal preference, a wet-test and a gauge of the "quality" of the dealer should also factor into your personal decision but I think those spas are above anything else you have listed...my .02, good luck

Knight1001

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 02:54:24 pm »
Thanks TwinCities.

I wish my Hot Springs dealer would have given me a better impression.

I just got back from Jacuzzi, and indeed it is the 365 we are going to wet test tonight. The salesman we talked to had a real good feeling and I am happy with what i've been hearing of Jacuzzi. They quoted us around $10900 before taxes, with what seems like everything except the audio. (3 mth chem, cover, cover lifter, steps, delivery). Seems reasonable?

Hot Tub Guru

• Heavenly Times Hot Tubs & Billiards
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 04:53:21 pm »
Let me know if you have any questions regarding the Arctic Spa as I've been a dealer for 13 years now.  As far as the electrical that at least in my area needs to be done by a licensed electrician.  I have one we recommend.  So if the other companies do the electrical work make sure they are licensed.  That way you are protected if anything happens to go wrong. 

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 11:34:22 am »

But you stated in your original post that the Hot Spring salesperson was new, didn't have business cards and probably didn't seem prepared... Do you think that reflects the store in general or might that have been truly just a reflection on where she was at that time in her training? I've seen many new salespeople struggle at first, that’s not something new.

Call and find out when a manager is going to be there and visit again and see what you think with someone who's been there awhile and maybe represents the dealer more accurately.

Smotz

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 05:45:28 pm »

Went through the same thing you did - went to a bunch of dealerships, internet shopping, wet tests, etc.

Finally settled on the Jacuzzi J-375.  Had it delivered yesterday!   It's amazing. 

It's a 2011 model and I paid $ 8000 out the door including taxes, steps, delivery, cover, cover lifter, and starter chems.  Because I bought it last month when Jacuzzi was having a promo I get a $ 500 rebate (at some point).

Thanks TwinCities.

I just got back from Jacuzzi, and indeed it is the 365 we are going to wet test tonight. The salesman we talked to had a real good feeling and I am happy with what i've been hearing of Jacuzzi. They quoted us around $10900 before taxes, with what seems like everything except the audio. (3 mth chem, cover, cover lifter, steps, delivery). Seems reasonable?

lyncch00

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 06:51:37 pm »
I looked and researched for over a year before settling.  I wasn't in a rush.  Many smaller dealers closed down where I live so local selections were down to one large dealer that carried several different manufacturers at various times and hot springs.  Everything you're looking at is good quality.  I eventually ended up purchasing from a snake.  I knew it, but, it was the tub I liked through research, fit where I wanted to put it in my yard, and wet tested the best for my wife and I. My only advice is verify which model you are looking at and if its 2011, get a deal.  It will all boil down to the wet test.  When you place the tub remember, the tub is LARGER with the cover mounted and open.  Let us know what you get.   

d00nut

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 11:40:01 pm »

Went through the same thing you did - went to a bunch of dealerships, internet shopping, wet tests, etc.

Finally settled on the Jacuzzi J-375.  Had it delivered yesterday!   It's amazing. 

It's a 2011 model and I paid $ 8000 out the door including taxes, steps, delivery, cover, cover lifter, and starter chems.  Because I bought it last month when Jacuzzi was having a promo I get a $ 500 rebate (at some point).

Congrats on the spa!  That is a ridiculously low price, so you should be very happy with it!

Smotz

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 09:05:54 pm »
Thanks, man.  (don't mean to steal the tread).

I am certainly not an easy sale.  I am very happy with how the negotiation went :) 

We all have to consider all of the other items that may need to be included
For instance, I paid:

$ 1000 for Electrical work
$ 1450 for site preparation
$ 200 in misc items

But i also wanted to give the OP a reference point.

Congrats on the spa!  That is a ridiculously low price, so you should be very happy with it!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:07:34 pm by Smotz »

Knight1001

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 01:17:31 pm »
I want to give an update, and thank everyone who regulars this forum or answered my thread.

We ended up going with the J-365, 2012 model with the UV filtration. Wet tested it and it was comfortable. We will take delivery when the house is done in July.

We paid around $11000 (Canadian), taxes, cover, lifter (hydraulic), steps, custom order color choice, 6 months of chemicals, delivery.

Thanks again and i'll update when we get it delivered!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 01:17:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42