What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Problem with hot tub  (Read 6697 times)

melloyello

Problem with hot tub
« on: April 03, 2012, 10:11:55 am »
I have a Dynasty spas with a AP-1400 box on it. I think my contactor went out, but not 100% sure. When it is all hooked up right it doesnt do anything will not come on at all. I ordered a new contactor off the internet and the same thing happens so i thought maybe they sent me a bad one. I am not getting power thought this I do know that for sure. It is a 50 amp 230, it doesnt click like its tryin to come on either. I can hook the wire up by bypassing the contactor and everything works like its suppose to. the heat cuts on and off the pump runs like its suppose to and everything. So my questions are will it hurt to leave it bypassed? Is there a way to test to see if it is bad? And what else could it be or should I check?

Hot Tub Forum

Problem with hot tub
« on: April 03, 2012, 10:11:55 am »

smackman

Re: Problem with hot tub
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 10:32:22 am »
The big question mark is What are you bypassing. Probably A flow switch; Temperature Sensor etc. If you can, find out what has you locked out. Personally, I would not leave it bypassed because if something is actually wrong it will cost more than  a Service call.

Do you have the ability to check the voltage to the coil on the contactor? You can probably see what the voltage needed is by looking on the contactor. If you do not feel comfortable with this call a Service Tech. Playing with Electricity can be  A SHOCKING EXPERIENCE.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 12:06:22 pm »
YES it can hurt, or even KILL, to leave it bypassed.

EVERY aspect of a spa pack is to properly control everything and keep YOU safe. Making changes or modification can cause a life threatening situation.

I would highly advise you to call in a professional that's experience with repairing spas. No offense, but, from your post it doesn't sound like you have an understanding of how a relay works, and as such, are taking shots in the dark, looking for short cuts and work-arounds. Again, with water and electricity, this can cause a life threatening situation.

That said :-)...there are a few different AP-1400's, but if this is the main relay immediately after the terminal strip for incoming power, the relay coil is powered through the hi limit switch (and possibly an on/off rocker switch if so equipped)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 06:33:20 pm by Dr. Spa™ »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

melloyello

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 05:07:59 pm »
well i dont know much about spas, i just bought this one used not long ago but it worked fine for about 2 weeks, then just stopped workin all together, I am not a license electriction but i have worked wiring house so I know about electricity enough to not do anything stupid. so here is the way it is wired L1 comes in and has 3 wires (black) coming off one to a 220 GFCI the other 2 to the 2 post contactor that I think is the problem.  from the contactor one goes to a fuse then to power hookup where the jet vac. line comes in. the other goes to a single contactor  then to the heat.  L2 has 2 wires (red) to 2 post contactor from that 1 goes to heat the other goes to power the pump. I do have a voltage meter i can test the coil with but not sure what to test. I did test to see if power was goin though and it was not which is why I was thinking it was the contactor, but I am not sure what kicks this one on or what it does thats what i am trying to find out because if i knew what kicked it on i could test it to see it that was the problem. I know i could call a service guy but the truth is i live in a small town of about 500 people nobody here know how to work on them, and the closest city to me is over a hour away and they charge over $100 a hour and I just cant pay that dont have the money for it, but I also dont want to get killed in it. Thanks for the help

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 06:32:40 pm »

the relay coil is powered through the hi limit switch (and possibly an on/off rocker switch if so equipped)

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

melloyello

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 07:53:19 pm »
well the high temp limit switch is going to the side of this contactor is there anyway to test it to see if it is bad?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 08:58:32 pm »
Voltage applied to the SIDE of the contactor is what powers it (makes it open and close). Ohm meter

smackman

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 09:43:11 pm »
well the high temp limit switch is going to the side of this contactor is there anyway to test it to see if it is bad?

If you feel safe, Pull the 2 wires off the contactor that are the High Temp. Switch. Make sure the power is off. You will need a Ohmeter to measure Resistance between the 2 wires to see if the Switch shows open or close.
It should show closed or near 0 on your ohmeter;
 If it is open, your meter will show a high ohm reading possibly infinity.

This High Temp. Switch should be Closed.

If open, Then that is your problem or one of them.

DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU HAVE NEVER USED A OHMETER. Do not try and play electrician. I was a plant E&I Technician for "many" years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 09:43:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42