What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: J-325 vs Caldera Marino  (Read 7474 times)

Flyonthewall

J-325 vs Caldera Marino
« on: March 14, 2012, 06:20:03 pm »
my brother in-law has asked my advice regarding these two units.  he says he can get either for around $6000.  i took a preliminary look and found the jacuzzi to be smaller, with fewer jets and hp.  on the plus side it has a better warranty and a circ pump.  i am pretty sure its more energy effecient than the caldera, something i know my bro in-law will appreciate.  any thoughts?  does that jacuzzi price seem about right, or lower than average?  the marino price seems just ok for what they sell for around the u.s.  he's in eastern canada btw.

Hot Tub Forum

J-325 vs Caldera Marino
« on: March 14, 2012, 06:20:03 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: J-325 vs Caldera Marino
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 10:19:32 pm »

For 2012 mdl were in the 6800 range.   The 325 is also a 110v/220 probably why the caldera has more hp?? 

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 11:30:23 pm »
Watkins has pretty much lead the way with energy efficiency - so I'm curious: why do you say, "i am pretty sure its more energy effecient than the caldera?"

Just wondering.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 01:45:04 pm »
  "Watkins has pretty much lead the way with energy efficiency"

How so?

Flyonthewall

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 01:46:52 pm »
Watkins has pretty much lead the way with energy efficiency - so I'm curious: why do you say, "i am pretty sure its more energy effecient than the caldera?"

Just wondering.

8)
i truly believe the Hot Spring Landmark class is the most effecient available.  this marino is an exact replica of the rythym.  from what i've seen of them, and relays, they will cost a little more monthly than a smaller spa with a circ pump and decent insulation.  of course any honest test would run both of their jet pumps to guage the energy costs.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 02:16:04 pm »

"i truly believe the Hot Spring Landmark class is the most effecient available"

Curious again how so? 

Flyonthewall

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 02:37:24 pm »

"i truly believe the Hot Spring Landmark class is the most effecient available"

Curious again how so?
not really looking to start a debate thread, thats why i made it clear it was only my opinion.  in my personal case i've seen about a 10-12 dollar a month in utility bills since i got my 110v jetsetter.
i think, based on what i know of my sister/bro in-laws spa habits, i'm going to reccomend the jacuzzi in this case. 

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 02:42:50 pm »
my brother in-law has asked my advice regarding these two units.  he says he can get either for around $6000.  i took a preliminary look and found the jacuzzi to be smaller, with fewer jets and hp.  on the plus side it has a better warranty and a circ pump.  i am pretty sure its more energy effecient than the caldera, something i know my bro in-law will appreciate.  any thoughts?  does that jacuzzi price seem about right, or lower than average?  the marino price seems just ok for what they sell for around the u.s.  he's in eastern canada btw.

I'll give you a couple tips: hp listed on spec sheet means absolutely nothing, nada, zero....wet test a tub to determine how the jets "feel" to you. And "I'm pretty sure its more efficient than the caldera" is painting a pretty broad stroke...what are you basing that on? actual numbers based off a power monitoring device? or some sales-guy or brochure with catchy marketing terms?  I think both are from reputable manufacters and according to you are around the same price so a wet test would help determine the best tub...also keep in mind you want to buy from a reputable dealer who will take care of you after the sale

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 03:25:30 pm »
   I look at it as one spa thats larger and has two "larger" 220v main pumps vs another with one main pmp and 1 circulating pump std and without looking I am guessing the caldera doesn't have a circ pump but a option?  That in itself would make me believe it uses more power regaurdless if they think they are the leading innovators of power efficiency.     Either way are we talking "major" differences in any of the 2 brands, probably not.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 06:35:16 pm »
   I look at it as one spa thats larger and has two "larger" 220v main pumps vs another with one main pmp and 1 circulating pump std and without looking I am guessing the caldera doesn't have a circ pump but a option?  That in itself would make me believe it uses more power regaurdless if they think they are the leading innovators of power efficiency.     Either way are we talking "major" differences in any of the 2 brands, probably not.

1 pump powering 15-17 jets and 2 pumps powering 35 jets..... jet per pump ratio is basically the same...and your right nothing "groundbreaking" with either of these models hence the 6k price tag, however I believe all 300 series have a 5yr component warranty which is better than the Marino

hottubted

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 09:58:27 am »
J-325.....done.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 11:30:07 am »

hottubted

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 04:24:29 pm »
Sorry Jim...go with the Jacuzzi J-325 is what I meant! Would be a better tub if it had a touch more H.P. , but it's a large 4 person tub with great comfort!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 04:24:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42