What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Cover and lift recommendations  (Read 2972 times)

ThaDraGun

New Cover and lift recommendations
« on: February 15, 2012, 04:54:58 pm »
Just bought a new house in June and the previous owners left the hot tub. I guess it kinda came with the deck. :)
I'm not sure if its from the snow and ice, or if my son sat on the cover but its now cracked and dipped in one spot. I'm pretty sure its 5yrs old anyways and really heavy so its obviously time for a new cover.

I have never owned a hot tub before so I dont know what features to look for when buying a good cover.  I live in Canada so I thought a thicker cover then the standard would be better with our cold winters. I tried going to one of the stores that sells hot tubs here and they didnt explain anything too me about their covers just quoted me 1 price, told me the thickness and thats it. I asked if they knew the R value or anything else and they had no idea. Not so much help.
This is the cover I was thinking about getting, does it sound like it will be ok? Also I thought if I order online I will get a better deal.

"ULTIMATE COVER"
$399.95

5" - 4" Tapered Cover - Save money on energy costs
Winter Special - Free 6mil Vapour barrier upgrade - Reg $34.95

5" - 4" tapered Ultimate cover is engineered with extra insulation and features to save on your tub's heating energy and chemical costs. Environmentally friendly CFC-free insulation with the highest density 680g (1.5 lb) closed cell foam providing an R22.1 insulation rating

Other Features:

-Foam inserts wrapped in poly bags and heat sealed for minimal water absorption over the life of your cover
-Manufactured using durable marine grade top vinyl with UV & mildew inhibitors to help your cover last for many years
-Thickness of 5" tapering down to 4" to assist moisture runoff as well as an aluminum "C" channel running the entire length of the fold for added support.
-Folding hinge with double reinforcement and heavy duty reinforced handles to assist in proper cover removal
-Extensive stitching throughout and extra reinforcing of critical areas
-4 lockable child safety straps helps protect your children and pets while meeting all ASTM standards for hot tub covers
-5-year limited warranty

++ upgraded covered hinge (extra $24.95)

The cover we have now is REALLY heavy. Im sure its waterlogged and thats why. My wife has a hard time lifting it up by herself and when its really cold out its even hard for both of us to lift it together.  Thats the main reason I was considering a lift cover. I have no idea how heavy a new cover is, so Im not sure if we really need one but I read using a lift is better for your cover anyways and it will make it last longer.

So my other issue is that my hot tub is installed right in the deck. What are my options for cover lifters? The only ones I can see are the covermate III and the Cover Valet that can deck mount. Any other kind I can use, if not which is better? Will these lifts support 5" - 4" cover, or only 4" - 3"?

Here's my hot tub. As you can see there is no room to attach a mount to the side like how most of seem to have to be installed

Thanks,
Marcel
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 04:57:30 pm by ThaDraGun »

Hot Tub Forum

New Cover and lift recommendations
« on: February 15, 2012, 04:54:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42