What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Leaving tub alone for 1st time.  (Read 6143 times)

agh1890

Leaving tub alone for 1st time.
« on: February 15, 2012, 11:35:59 am »
I am currently own an Artesian hot tub that went live in early January.  I am still working to figure out all the things I need to know but so far have had no real issues.  I have an ozonator, a circulation pump,  and and using natures2 and dicholor as my sanitation regiment.  Once a week I use MPS shock instead of Dichlor.  This seeme to work out and is what my deal told me to do.  Occasionally the water gets a little cloudy but I think this is because my chlorine levels crash to zero so I have been trying to keep it up a little higher.

Anyway we are going away for 4 days and I was wondering if there is anything I should do to the tub before i leave.  I was planning on turning the temp down to like 98.  Should I add a bunch of chlorine so they levels will stay up and my water will stay clear? 

This will be the 1st time we have even been apart for more than a day so any advice would be appreciated.   

Hot Tub Forum

Leaving tub alone for 1st time.
« on: February 15, 2012, 11:35:59 am »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: Leaving tub alone for 1st time.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 12:11:57 pm »
with silver ion and an ozonator 4 days is nothing...make sure you have a good chlorine level before you leave and it will be fine

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 06:07:29 pm »
Be aware: your tub WILL miss you.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Flyonthewall

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 07:16:32 pm »
and yes, turning it down is a good idea.  if you left it at 102 you can be assured that the heater would have run for at least a couple hours over the 4 days to maintain that number.  to raise it from 98 to 102 upon your return will not take a couple hours.  as an added benefit the cooler water will demand less chlorine.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 08:50:18 pm »
This is like a guy who got a pet dog and has spent EVERY minute with it since the day it came home and is worried what will happen if he leaves the dog alone for 8 hours when he has to go back to work.  Don't worry about it!  I've gone 2 weeks without even bothering to check the tub.  Once it is in balance, it's pretty "idiot proof".  In my case, the chlorine will last about a week.  The water will be neutral for the next week.  no problems.

PS - I've only used MPS about 5 times in the many years I've owned it.  It's just not needed.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Waterbug

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 08:43:57 pm »
  If you ever anticipate being gone for a longer period of time, buy a chlorine float.  Get it ahead of time to allow yourself time to mess with  it and get it dialed in.  With a float, you can leave it for a month.

d00nut

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 09:20:14 pm »
  If you ever anticipate being gone for a longer period of time, buy a chlorine float.  Get it ahead of time to allow yourself time to mess with  it and get it dialed in.  With a float, you can leave it for a month.

Chlorine tablets will lower the pH dramatically.  A floater is best used only if it's bromine in my opinion

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 09:27:43 pm »
Chlorine tablets are tri-chlor....which as spa temperatures dissolve so quickly they're near impossible to control.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 10:04:40 pm »
I left my tub for 18 days and came home to  crystal clear water. I use the Bromine frog and I also lowered my temperature. Oh and I didn't miss my tub at all.. :D  I was in Tuscany lol!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 07:08:59 am »
I left my tub for 18 days and came home to  crystal clear water. I use the Bromine frog and I also lowered my temperature. Oh and I didn't miss my tub at all.. :D  I was in Tuscany lol!

That's a good sign your neighbors aren't using your tub while your gone.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 06:47:17 pm »
Floaters = evil.

If you use them, do so ONLY for short periods of time, such as a vacation or such.

Tri-chlor tabs eat spa covers, headrest pillows, and pump shaft seals.

"Bromine" tabs contain Chlorine (up to 45%) so they are NOT good for covered spas. Pure Bromine, such as "Brilliance" is chlorine-free, and works well. You do have to shock it once per week to make up for the lack of chlorine built in.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 06:47:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42