What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Nature 2 and foaming  (Read 5392 times)

azloafer

Nature 2 and foaming
« on: January 15, 2012, 10:54:04 am »
I noticed that members using Nature 2, as we do, have two different methods, both starting with the cartridge in the filter of course.  I have been using Nature 2 and  MPS daily, as suggested in the instructions, with Dichlor once per week method.  I have a lot of foaming when the pump is on high speed.  I wonder if I should try the Dichlor daily, MPS once per week method to see if the foaming goes away.  There have been days when the MPS dip strip indicated that I needed extra MPS.  It seemed as though the additional MPS increased the foaming.  The foaming that I am talking about is foam that is just there while the pump is on high.  As soon as the pump is on low or off the foam goes away.  We just don't like two inches of foam on the water surface when we are relaxing in the tub.  Any thoughts on this?

Hot Tub Forum

Nature 2 and foaming
« on: January 15, 2012, 10:54:04 am »

clover

Re: Nature 2 and foaming
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 01:08:54 pm »
Please allow me to ask again, what are you wearing into the spa?  Foam is usually caused by residual soap in fabric.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

chem geek

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 05:04:53 pm »
You can also increase your Calcium Hardness (CH) level to around 120-150 ppm to reduce foaming, though as noted above the true source is from soap-like substances.  Harder water suds less which is why a higher CH level can help reduce foaming.

azloafer

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 05:52:35 am »
Please allow me to ask again, what are you wearing into the spa?  Foam is usually caused by residual soap in fabric.
We don't wear anything into the spa.  I do notice that if I put extra MPS into the water it foams more and that is why I wondered if that was the cause.  There must be some reason for some spa users to use Dichlor daily instead of the daily MPS as directed.  I am confused.  Our spa is small with only 150 gallons of water so I suppose being a tad off can make a big difference.  We are going to be adding a Covermate 2 lifter and a handrail to the spa this week.  Both are the type that require the spa to be emptied so that the base of each can go under the spa.  No screws into the cabinet.  Now would be the time to decide which method of sanitizing the new water would work best.  I was hoping someone who is using Dichlor daily and MPS weekly could explain why they went this route and if it was because of foaming.

azloafer

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 02:19:34 pm »
I am wondering if I should, in addition to keeping Calcium a little higher, also keep the MPS on the low end of OK. 
I may experiment with that scenario.  Thanks, Joe

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 02:56:09 pm »
We don't wear anything into the spa.  I do notice that if I put extra MPS into the water it foams more and that is why I wondered if that was the cause.  There must be some reason for some spa users to use Dichlor daily instead of the daily MPS as directed.  I am confused.  Our spa is small with only 150 gallons of water so I suppose being a tad off can make a big difference.  We are going to be adding a Covermate 2 lifter and a handrail to the spa this week.  Both are the type that require the spa to be emptied so that the base of each can go under the spa.  No screws into the cabinet.  Now would be the time to decide which method of sanitizing the new water would work best.  I was hoping someone who is using Dichlor daily and MPS weekly could explain why they went this route and if it was because of foaming.

I do dichlor and MPS once a week because it is cheap, easy, and effective imo....I keep Calcium around 150ppm, TA around 80-90ppm range, and always make sure you have 1 or 2ppm chlorine in the water.  Also like stated above keep as many soap and oil based products out of the tub as possible, and be religious about cleaning your filter(s)....once your TDS (total dissolved solids) becomes high, drain your spa, clean it, and refill with fresh water (2-4 times per year depending on use)....thats it...easy peasy  ;D

azloafer

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 11:33:33 pm »
With a once per week treatment, how often do you use your spa?  We use ours nightly for one hour.  Wouldn't I have to treat the water several days per week?  I would think once per week would not be enough.  Joe

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 11:11:53 am »
With a once per week treatment, how often do you use your spa?  We use ours nightly for one hour.  Wouldn't I have to treat the water several days per week?  I would think once per week would not be enough.  Joe

MPS once per week and always maintain 1 or 2ppm of chlorine is what was stated, that usually requires 2 additions during the week based on my particular use.  Of course I do not have kids, nor do I like people in my spa  ;D

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 11:53:09 am »

MPS once per week and always maintain 1 or 2ppm of chlorine is what was stated, that usually requires 2 additions during the week based on my particular use.  Of course I do not have kids, soaks are nowhere near an hour, and I don't like other people in my spa  ;D...if you and your family are using an hour per day, then most definitely you will need more chlorine...if you want you could probably pm user 'chem geek' and he can probably give you exact #'s based on bather load factoring in 25% or so reduction in chlorine per day...he is probably one of the most knowledgeable around here when it comes to chemicals

azloafer

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 08:33:08 pm »
I guess I had the idea that the MPS was going to almost replace the use of chlorine.  Maybe that is where I went wrong.  Thanks for the info. Joe

azloafer

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 09:48:23 pm »
I just got done checking all the info that I could find on Nature2.  In fine print I found this statement: "Shock treat with Dichlor if foam develops."  I just never saw that before!  I guess there are times when foam happens or they wouldn't make this statement.  Live and learn.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 09:48:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42