What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hydro Spa Omni vs. Master Spa D.E. Portsmouth SE  (Read 8431 times)

Cappy

Hydro Spa Omni vs. Master Spa D.E. Portsmouth SE
« on: April 28, 2004, 07:25:59 pm »
Howdy!   I've got a deposit placed on a Master Spa Down East Portsmouth SE model which ran (before tax) $6295.    We already did a "fit test" and chose this model over several others, as I'm 6'2,  250 lb. - and it fit like a glove.  Really comfortable.   The price locks us in until the end of Sept., which gives us time to still look around "just in case"...

Not long after placing the deposit, it turns out one of my brother's friends works for Hydro Spa, which means as it turns out he can get us a deal on their top of the line model- the Omni with all the bells and whistles- delivered for just $5500 bucks.    

If memory serves me correctly, I had already seen the Hydro Spa, and what really struck me was seeing all those chrome rings around the jets showing corrosion, right there in the showroom!  It was a real turnoff. However, the lifetime warranty would solve that issue.

Oh- speaking of warranties, the Master Spa price included the 5 year extended warranty, which the dealer threw in as part of the bargain.

My question is of course, does anyone have any comments/advice on which would be the better deal?  Thanks in advance for any input-

Cappy

Hot Tub Forum

Hydro Spa Omni vs. Master Spa D.E. Portsmouth SE
« on: April 28, 2004, 07:25:59 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Hydro Spa Omni vs. Master Spa D.E. Portsmouth
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 08:33:07 am »
 I'd say no thanks to the rust bucket, lifetime warranty or no.  

Sounds like Master was a good fit for you.  I suggest you try a couple more brands out, and then you'll know for sure.  

The best deal isn't always the cheapest price.  Lifetime warranties are often so full of exclusions and conditions that they are not all they sound like.  Check out this the terms of this warranty very carefully.  
Brewman

spaguyohio

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 01:12:05 pm »
Of the two, the Down East is better built in my opinion. Hydrospa is just starting to come into the Cleveland market, and Ive seen the insides of them. Its a good spa for the money.

I have a Down East Spa, and love it.  Local show I was at while visiting friends in Buffalo last weekend had that model for 6100 with steps, cover butler, colorscape light, starter chemicals, cover, and delivery.  What city are you in?

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 03:00:50 pm »
I am not a big fan of Master but Hydro Spas I would not even let my mother-in-law have one.

Gary
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Cappy

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 05:21:57 pm »
Brewman, thanks for the opinion- we're thinking alike here!  I was both shocked and dismayed that a dealer would be foolish enough to leave such a sorry looking sight right there in the showroom, especially with an $8200 price tag on the thing!

BTW,  is your nickname actually beer related?  Funny, I'm actually sacrificing my custom test brewery to make a home for the spa!  :-[

Spaguy, that sounds like quite a deal.  I paid $200 more, but got the same goodies,  I'm satisfied.  Besides, I screwed the dealer BIG time for my new Sonata, it was time to give in somewhere...  heh.   BTW, I'm near Providence, shopping in nearby MA.      The dealer's got a good reputation, and over the years has refused to continue selling several brands that didn't service their warranties as promised, which was a good sign.

Gary, you're one of the few dissenting votes I've seen against Master Spa, but I still respect your opinion, thanks.    The wife and I were just discussing the subject before I checked in now, and we decided we really like the SE model, we're gonna grab it before it's no longer available.  Our deal holds through Sept. though, so I've got some time to prep the area- which includes ripping down my brewery!    I've already drawn up the plans for our new spa/screened in room, which will be 12 by 21 with an interior vinyl roof for moisture protection and screened walls all around.

... anyone got about 12 grand they feel like tossing my way? ;D

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 06:36:04 pm »
Cappy-

You got it!  One of my many (too many, according to Mrs. Brewman) hobbies is home brewing.  I have a kegging setup, with four taps.  
Now that the spa is in and done, I can concentrate on completing the rec. room in the basement.  I can't wait to get my pool table back together, and the rest of the bar built.  The rec. room is in the basement, which walks out to the spa.  

Good luck with whatever spa you choose.  There are a lot of good ones out there.

Brewman
Brewman

Cappy

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2004, 09:09:59 pm »

Yeah, funny how wives think beer equipment is taking up space that could be better used in other ways...  in this case mine was finally right though!   The brewery is 12 by 14,  a pretty good chunk of back yard.   I've decided to cut back from 2/3-barrel batches and just set up in the work shop again, where I can still get by.  The only problem now is, how to use up the 48 lb. of hops in the freezer!  ???

spaguyohio

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2004, 09:23:06 am »
congrats on the SE, Im sure you will enjoy it immensely. For New England area, thats a great price. Talked to someone other day who wanted a Master LSX, local dealer was 12,500 in CT. He was traveling through Indiana, got a dealer to sell him one for 9500, then he bought a trailer to haul it back with him. Still saved money.

Cappy

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2004, 06:42:12 pm »

Thanks, Spaguy.  We can't wait to get set up, but there's a LOT of work ahead. Actually I don't mind though, we've lived here 19 years and haven't stopped yet!

I guess pricing really can be pretty crazy out there eh?  Like several people have mentioned though, part of the package is the dealer you work with too, and we're lucky to have a good one here.  They've been around for probably 30 years now, and that's not due to screwing customers over.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2004, 07:45:27 pm »
Forty eight pounds of hops?  Wow, you must have one heckava setup!  I only work in five and ten gallon batches.  What do you do with all that product?

Brewman
Brewman

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2004, 09:20:58 am »
I too have a kegging system set-up. When the sife saw me running a line from my beer fridge right next to where our tub is going to sit all she could muster was, YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING' RIGHT? :o

I replied, of course not my love :-*.  This is simply so that I may truly enjoy my tub as often as one possibly can.

Cappy

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2004, 08:03:10 pm »
Forty eight pounds of hops?  Wow, you must have one heckava setup!  I only work in five and ten gallon batches.  What do you do with all that product?

Brewman

I DRINK it, of course!  ;D    No, I'm not kidding, I really did.  Using a 60 oz. pitcher, I'd normally fill it a couple times just to quench my thirst; if I'm chatting with my buddies (we've had an online gang getting together every Friday/Saturday night for over 10 years straight!) I might do three.    

As an automation designer/toolmaker/maintenance technician and lifelong carpenter, building my brewery and all the equipment in it was a labor of love, and really got pretty crazy for a while... the goal was threefold:   A. Perfect an IPA or ESB that could be drank by the gallon with no over-full feeling but overflowing with fresh hop flavor; B. Cost about the same per barrel as most people pay for a sixpack; and C: Do it all in 4 hours per brewing session!

After building 12 x 14' brewery that contained a custom grain mill, hop back system and 2/3 bbl. output every 4 hours from weighing grain to the last pot scrub, I accomplished all that in just under 3 years and 2000 gallons.   Meanwhile, my web site dedicated to beer and brewing grew to over 50 megs!     Yeah, I got carried away...    I toyed with the idea of writing a book on brewing, but as time went on priorities changed.   I had learned what I set out to learn about brewing, and sadly a large part of that was that I'm too entrenched in the field of technical work to go out and start brewing for a living.  Another was that heck, I can brew in the workshop- back where I started- and convert the brewery into the most enjoyable spot on our property- a 12 x 21 screened in spa, with the occasional keg of 5-hop ale on tap! ;)

SpaGuy911

Re: Hydro Spa Omni vs. Master Spa D.E. Portsmouth SE
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 08:27:01 pm »
Down East takes the crown!

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Hydro Spa Omni vs. Master Spa D.E. Portsmouth SE
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 08:27:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42