What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie Needs help - Used purchase  (Read 5858 times)

Andy

Newbie Needs help - Used purchase
« on: October 03, 2011, 05:57:19 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking and searching for months trying to educate myself, thanks to all the members for the valuable information.

I am 33 yrs old, with a wife, and three kids (8,6,4). I would like to buy a used spa. My reason for used is that I am not sure if a spa will fit our very busy family schedule, so I would prefer not to splurge on our first spa. I have narrowed my focus on Arctic Spas. They sell alot of spas in this area (Edmonton), and so there are alot of used ones for sale.

I am mostly looking for opinions on pricing. All prices are CAD. These are three choices I have looked at.

1) 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend Extreme - Fully loaded. It was in very good condition (only cabinet needed re-staining), recently had a pump and light seal replaced under warranty. They started asking $8000, but then lowered to $7000. That still seems high to me. They showed me their original sales receipt for $19,800, so I think they feel that they should be getting back more out of a 5 year old spa. I offered $5000, no dice.

2) 2002 Arctic Avalanche Signature - Nice used unit, the cedar cabinet still looks as good as new. Everything seemed to be working well. They are asking $3500, not sure if they would go lower as I did not place an offer yet.

3) 2000 Arctic Summit Signature - From a dealer, fully reconditioned with 1 year parts and labour warranty, for $3500.

Do these prices seem fair to you guys?

My gut feeling is to go with the older cheaper models, however, I am scared of buying an 10-12 year old hot tub,  and regretting that I did not put a couple thousand more on the table. What would be the oldest hot tub you guys would consider buying?

I really liked the Tundra, but I think they are asking too much, or maybe I am wrong on that.

I have also considered buying a cheap new tub (Costco), rather than a quality used. Not sure if that is a good idea.

Anyways, just looking for some feedback from the pros. I am new to this game and do not want to regret my choice.

Thanks,

Andy

Hot Tub Forum

Newbie Needs help - Used purchase
« on: October 03, 2011, 05:57:19 pm »

sorebikr

Re: Newbie Needs help - Used purchase
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 06:12:52 pm »
I imagine something you'll be asked in short order is how handy you are, and how comfortable you are fixing things yourself if anything goes wrong.  (If your pumps or heater die in the dead of winter for example).  That may help people provide better info.  Also, I agree with your assessment on door #1 - I wouldn't feel comfortable paying more than $5000 either.

Andy

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 05:25:59 pm »
Thanks Sorebikr,
You've added a perspective I didn't think about. I am very handy, however, very short on time these days. I do want this purchase to be something I enjoy, so finding time to repair it, versus enjoying it, could be difficult. The used hot tub market in my area seems to be very inflated.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 08:21:21 pm »
personally I wouldn't go older than 10 years, but with that said we have hundreds of customers with Hot Springs 15-20 years old that still run like the day they bought it, so its not like there is an exact "lifespan" of a tub...as far as what you have listed is #1 a private seller? no way am I buying a used tub for 7k with no warranty, too much risk for that kinda $ (strictly my opinion of course) 2 and 3 with negotiation seem like reasonable options that won't break the bank, just curious why strictly Arctic? if you expand your search you will have more options to find a great deal without sacrificing anything imo...

Andy

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 11:13:42 am »
TwinCitiesHotSpring ,

#1 is a private sale.

My reason for going with Arctic, is that they seem to be the easiest to work on. And since I am looking at used tubs, I know sooner than later some maintenance will be required. Just trying to mitigate future repair costs. Also, there are a ton of used Arctic Spas for sale in this area because the factory is here.

I started out looking new, and was very impressed with the Hot Springs product (I really liked the Vanguard, almost bought it right on the spot, but then I realized that my wife would end up with the tub in the probable divorce that would follow shortly after anyway  ;)), as well as Catalina (Stealth Saber), and Arctic (Summit & Tundra). However, it seemed like anything I really liked would cost around $10-12K. So, I decided to start with used for our first tub.

Thanks for the reply.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 11:17:52 am by Andy »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 12:17:54 pm »
1) They paid $20K in 2006; was it trimmed in 24k gold? The fact they paid that much is not your concern, they may regret not considering your $5k offer as I think you were being fair for sure (IMO).

2) $3500 is high for a 9 year old tub from a private owner but if its really in as good of a condition as you say its close enough to counter with something like $2500 (and with ANY used tub at some point you need to see it filled, up to temp and running or you need to skip it, no exception).

3) A 11 yr old spa should not be selling for $3500 except if its totally refurbished, comes with an in-store warranty (and 1 year is very good) and then its possibly ok if its looks/runs very well but offer them less (everything is negotiable and they may have marked it $3500 hoping to get $3000).

I might extend my search to include some of the other top brands at this point but if you really like #2 or #3 and they check out try negotiating.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 02:38:27 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Andy

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 07:41:12 pm »
Spatech_tuo,

I think they did not think twice at the MSRP price, and signed on without hesitation. I might try them in a few weeks and see where things sit. I would really like to get that hot tub. I would love to tell them they grossly overpaid and my offer of $5000 is more than fair, however, that tact may offend them.

I am finding that patience is the key when looking at used hot tubs..... it's too bad I am getting impatient.

Thanks for the great conversation. I have no one else to talk to about this.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 12:23:01 pm »
Spatech_tuo,

I think they did not think twice at the MSRP price, and signed on without hesitation. I might try them in a few weeks and see where things sit. I would really like to get that hot tub. I would love to tell them they grossly overpaid and my offer of $5000 is more than fair, however, that tact may offend them.

I am finding that patience is the key when looking at used hot tubs..... it's too bad I am getting impatient.

Thanks for the great conversation. I have no one else to talk to about this.

your patience will payoff in the end  ;D worst case scenario take a short little drive to MN, I have a 2004 Grandee with a pearl shell we can throw on a trailer for you... ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 12:23:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42