What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Springs Vista Issue  (Read 5641 times)

taweste

Hot Springs Vista Issue
« on: September 24, 2011, 08:18:12 pm »
I am looking for some advice on what to do with my 2004 Hot Springs Vista. The tub was orginally purchased by my parents, and once all the kids moved out it did not get much use. It was drained approximately a year ago, but was not properly winterized.

My parents offered the tub to me and I built a deck for it. Recently, I had it delivered to my house (cost approx $500), and bought a new cover. However, after finishing the electrical work and filling the tub I discovered that the heater needed to be replaced (approx $300, not purchased yet). Also, there is a substantial leak through one of the ports were one of the pump lines runs into the tub.

Once I found the leak I decided that It may not be worth the added expenses to get it up and running. My concern is that even if I spend the $300 on a new pump, and somehow fix the leak, I still do not know if there are any additonal leaks. What do people think, should I continue to attempt to fix the tub, or do I take a loss on the moving and cover expenses, and purchase a new tub?

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Springs Vista Issue
« on: September 24, 2011, 08:18:12 pm »

Waterbug

Re: Hot Springs Vista Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 09:46:58 pm »
  If you're going to buy a new tub, look for one that could use the same cover.  Also, try negotiating a trade-in.

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 10:16:59 am »
Before you throw in the towel I would try and get it fixed and running. The Vista is a very nice spa and for the cost of a few repairs you could have a really good bargain.  :) Even if you spend $1,500 to get everything up to par you are still ahead of the game. MSRP on that tub in 2004 was $10,095. You probably won't get more than about $2,500 if you trade it in.
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 06:03:18 pm »
Once I found the leak I decided that It may not be worth the added expenses to get it up and running. My concern is that even if I spend the $300 on a new pump, and somehow fix the leak, I still do not know if there are any additonal leaks. What do people think, should I continue to attempt to fix the tub, or do I take a loss on the moving and cover expenses, and purchase a new tub?

The "fail to winterize" stories are sad but if you're doing this yourself first try to fix the leak(s). The cost will be minimal since thats mostly about time and effort. If you get the leak fixed then it'll be worth the cost to get the new pump.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 07:57:01 pm »
I don't see enough info in your post to determine that you need a new pump (as opposed to a seal and o-rings) and I don't know from your post where the other leak may be, if any.

What I would do is to get a pro out there - preferably a HotSpring dealer - and get an itemized bid on the repair. If your tub has removable side panels, you should have the tub sitting in the clear and ready for the repair man to get to all the sides, if you have water coming from the sides of the tub.

If the leaks are all in the motor compartment, you may have a repair on your hands, and a good spa for the price of delivery and a cover.

FWIW - This tub is self draining. If you have to shut it down in winter, you simply remove the main drain cap and the secondary drain cap. It will empty all the plumbing and pumps for you. You can stop at that point - however - Some people shop vac any remaining water from the seats, and as long as you have the machine in your hands you might as well pull any water out of the jets and filter area that you can.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 03:34:19 pm »
I don't see enough info in your post to determine that you need a new pump (as opposed to a seal and o-rings) and I don't know from your post where the other leak may be, if any.

What I would do is to get a pro out there - preferably a HotSpring dealer - and get an itemized bid on the repair. If your tub has removable side panels, you should have the tub sitting in the clear and ready for the repair man to get to all the sides, if you have water coming from the sides of the tub.

If the leaks are all in the motor compartment, you may have a repair on your hands, and a good spa for the price of delivery and a cover.

FWIW - This tub is self draining. If you have to shut it down in winter, you simply remove the main drain cap and the secondary drain cap. It will empty all the plumbing and pumps for you. You can stop at that point - however - Some people shop vac any remaining water from the seats, and as long as you have the machine in your hands you might as well pull any water out of the jets and filter area that you can.

8)

regarding the part in bold...not sure about California but if you do that procedure in MN or other northern areas you'll be one unhappy camper come spring time when you fill it up

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 07:23:22 am »
Yes, I should have mentioned two things: I am in Southern California (the place God intended us ALL to live..  8) ) and I was talking about an emergency drain for a power outage or whatever, not a deep-freeze 'weatherization' of a tub about to sit for months of ice cold weather. The shop vac is a must in that case, and your local dealer may have more info about anti-freeze and such.

My best recommendation is to have a pro look at this tub in question, and get the full picture. Then fix it, fill it, and keep it hot all year around!

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 07:23:22 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42