What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Costco spas  (Read 48464 times)

gordborg

Costco spas
« on: September 21, 2011, 02:55:47 pm »
Hello im a new member was wondering if i could get some advise? At costco they have oc spas and evelution spas. The evol spa im looking at have 55 jets and a single 4hp motor and a 4kw heater the Adirondack at 4900.00. Will a single 4hp motor be strong enough? is the heater and insulation good for cold northern canadian climate? Then there is the OC spa 770LY (2) 2.5hp motors 70 jet 5.5kw at 5800.00. what im looking for is a good hot tub thats made for canadian winter with a lounger and desent jets and hot lol...if there any other suggestions i am open to them thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Costco spas
« on: September 21, 2011, 02:55:47 pm »

sorebikr

Re: Costco spas
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 03:26:43 pm »
Well up and to the left of this page is a link titled "Search".  I suggest you search for "Costco" and settle in to a long afternoon of reading.  Threads such as this one will give you a good indication of what you'll find.

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,10955.0.html

1.  You're buying a relationship with a dealer, not just a tub.
2.  # of jets is irrelevant
3.  Never buy a tub without wet testing it first
4.  There isn't enough competition in the marketplace, so price-comparisons are generally worthless.  Pay what you're comfortable paying and can afford.

d00nut

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 06:28:41 pm »
Hello im a new member was wondering if i could get some advise? At costco they have oc spas and evelution spas. The evol spa im looking at have 55 jets and a single 4hp motor and a 4kw heater the Adirondack at 4900.00. Will a single 4hp motor be strong enough? is the heater and insulation good for cold northern canadian climate? Then there is the OC spa 770LY (2) 2.5hp motors 70 jet 5.5kw at 5800.00. what im looking for is a good hot tub thats made for canadian winter with a lounger and desent jets and hot lol...if there any other suggestions i am open to them thanks.

Energy efficiency wise, those are definitely not the spas for you. 

fangular

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 11:29:29 pm »
I'm fairly new to hot tubs also. I started my search for a tub 5 months ago and the more research I did the more confused I got. I looked at the Costco spas and thought what a great deal and if it cost me a little more to heat what the hay, but then I also thought about set up, service and repair. I visited the dealers in my area ,some 5 or 6 times and thought wow some of the tubs would be double the price of the Costco tubs. Then I was at dealer and they showed me a tub that was in my price range and after alot more consideration I purchased it. Even after buying the tub I was still unsure until tonight. I had my first soak tonight and I am very pleased with my tub. My dealer came out and did a site inspection before I brought the tub, then delivered it and after it was hooked up to the electrial they sent out the service guy for the first start up. The tub I have is the Hydopool SE5 it has a lounger is made for 5 and has 30 jets. I hope this helps. As I said I'm new to this hot tubbing also

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 11:01:17 am »
I'm fairly new to hot tubs also. I started my search for a tub 5 months ago and the more research I did the more confused I got. I looked at the Costco spas and thought what a great deal and if it cost me a little more to heat what the hay, but then I also thought about set up, service and repair. I visited the dealers in my area ,some 5 or 6 times and thought wow some of the tubs would be double the price of the Costco tubs. Then I was at dealer and they showed me a tub that was in my price range and after alot more consideration I purchased it. Even after buying the tub I was still unsure until tonight. I had my first soak tonight and I am very pleased with my tub. My dealer came out and did a site inspection before I brought the tub, then delivered it and after it was hooked up to the electrial they sent out the service guy for the first start up. The tub I have is the Hydopool SE5 it has a lounger is made for 5 and has 30 jets. I hope this helps. As I said I'm new to this hot tubbing also

You're not new anymore; you're a hot tub veteran now.

This is what we've been telling people. We're not saying "Don't buy the Costco or internet spa, buy this $10,000 spa instead". We all know that some people will have a budget and can't just get the top for the line spa. There are good spas out there for most budgets without having to buy based on a picture with an inflated spec sheet and you'll still get a hydrotherapeutic spa that gets delivered and comes with full service.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 11:08:37 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 04:52:15 pm »

What brands have you looked at besides those?  Look at as many as you can. Look for quality of workmanship and material. Then if you can look at a Costco offering compare it. Most people are not blinded by the low price and can see the difference. Thats not to mention the difference in longevity, comfort, noise level and energy effeciency. For the most part you get what you pay for in new hot tubs. A 5 or 6 grand tub is not the same as a 7-8 grand tub. And quite frankly the extra grand or 2 is well worth it in my opinion.
Retired

gordborg

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 09:27:07 am »
well i had a tub before i bought it for 6000.00 at sunray spas a local dealer. i am an electrician so they delivered it i hooked it up  after the first day heater went...during the 2 winter 120 v transformer on the board was malfunctioning because the soilder joins were loose froze the hot tub. all the jets in the 4th year need to be replaced they deteriated. so i have become very handy at fixing these. i am going to purchase the the triumph evelution spa from Costco from what i heard there warrenty and service work is great. and with the new spa alarm i made it wont freeze up again!!! 120db alarm that goes off if power goes out to heating circuit. Now is it a good idea to buy the chemicals on line???? if so any good dealers for Canada?

d00nut

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 02:22:52 pm »
Lemons do happen, but the dealer should have taken care of all that.  I am not at all familiar with Sunray Spas either.  I doubt you would find that they are on anyone's list of high quality spas here... same with evolution.

gordborg

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 06:22:03 pm »
but most members here are from america and sunray is a local canadian company most spas you recomend are not availiable where i live

wrainka

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 06:52:05 pm »
We live in a cold Canadian climate and also looked at Costco spas as they are close to us and seemed more affordable than the spas at dealers we looked at. Where we live we have mostly Beachcomber and Jacuzzi available through dealers. We ended up purchasing a Jacuzzi mostly because of their reputation and the fact that the dealer was within 80 miles of us (fairly close here). We have had several major issues with our Jacuzzi and have never had a problem getting quick service from our dealer.

I won't say don't purchase from Costco but we are quite happy that we didn't with the issues we have gone through - it has been great that our dealer is so close and helpful - which is no less than what we expected. The idea of the larger number of jets and lower price is what first attracted us to the Costco tub but we have since learned that the 30 some quality jets in our Jacuzzi and the few thousand more we paid have been more than worthwhile to us.

gordborg

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 07:01:35 pm »
wow thats great to hear! but i know people in calgary and regina and had some problems with there costco tub and getting fixed was easy and fast also i read if your not happy they will take it back thats the great part of costco Ask a dealer if you dont like it in 6 months if they will take it back? im a electrician and very handy with wires pumps controllers and heaters...if it breaks i can fix it!..lol

d00nut

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 11:49:37 pm »
wow thats great to hear! but i know people in calgary and regina and had some problems with there costco tub and getting fixed was easy and fast also i read if your not happy they will take it back thats the great part of costco Ask a dealer if you dont like it in 6 months if they will take it back? im a electrician and very handy with wires pumps controllers and heaters...if it breaks i can fix it!..lol

If you're set on a Costco spa, there is no changing your mind.  The thing about not being happy about it... that won't necessarily happen with a dealer.  Why?  It is because you can try out the spa for yourself to see if it is what you are looking for.  With Costco, Walmart, Home Depot, or whatever floats your boat... you are basing your opinion and thoughts of a spa off of inflated stats that are designed to be easily marketable.  You have to consider what you are looking for in any product, not just spas.  Whatever is most important to you, whether that be price, quality, features, or service.  Clearly Costco cuts out some of those to make a cheaper product, and if you are fine with that, it very well may be a win-win situation for you. 

As for Costco taking it back, I believe they are going to change that policy because they lose quite a bit of money due to it.  For the same reason they stopped that policy with their TV's and such.  Now there is a thread on another forum talking about take your spa back to Costco... and he is super displeased about it because they will not allow him.  Now I think the guy is being super unreasonable, but it's something to think about.  If you want to read it:  http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?s=81971542b6f151196ab39c533486ec57&showtopic=33548 

gordborg

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 08:30:23 am »
yes thats right i have a six year old he loves hot tubs he dont care about how comfortable the seats are..he likes the jets the bubbles and the warm water and being outside in it when its snowing and cold. im the same way the seats i dont care how comfortable the seats are really how long am i going to sit in it..30 min. this is not like buying a car i dont need crash test reports ...airbags..how it handels on the road..its a tub. and if it were a car i dont need a lexsus to get to the store a kia will do. and i dont perfer dealers they try to talk you up to huge price tubs..and try to scare you off on line shopping and i can see that cause there losing money.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 11:10:58 am »
yes thats right i have a six year old he loves hot tubs he dont care about how comfortable the seats are..he likes the jets the bubbles and the warm water and being outside in it when its snowing and cold. im the same way the seats i dont care how comfortable the seats are really how long am i going to sit in it..30 min. this is not like buying a car i dont need crash test reports ...airbags..how it handels on the road..its a tub. and if it were a car i dont need a lexsus to get to the store a kia will do. and i dont perfer dealers they try to talk you up to huge price tubs..and try to scare you off on line shopping and i can see that cause there losing money.

I'm with you in some ways. I don't need a fancy hot tub or fancy car (my wife actually rips me for driving the car I do because she says its time for a new one but it runs well, gets good MPG and was paid off LONG ago).

Fortunately, while dealers sell premium spas they also have more standard ones that may not have all the fancy bells and whistles but are made to last, are energy efficient and you get delivery and service as well. Its not like you have to choose between a Costco spa and a $10k dealer spa, you can get a very good well priced spa from a dealer and over teh past deaced its been a far better route to go and I don't see why it should change now.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

d00nut

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 12:47:50 pm »

I never try talking up people to a hot tub they don't need.  I take great pride in aiding people to find a hot tub that suits them well.  Sometimes that is a Hot Spring branded spa, sometimes that a small Hot Spot.  Sometimes people need the security that Costco offers.  Just because you feel that dealers are evil, doesn't mean they are.  Bottom line is, I rather have a potential customer not buy from me, and buy a reputable spa from my competition or craigslist, than a Costco Tub.  More often than not, buying a Costco tub would turn off those people to spas forever.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 12:47:50 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42