What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: sand in my tub  (Read 9667 times)

kspeters

sand in my tub
« on: September 19, 2011, 04:01:57 pm »
This is my first post. I bought my hot tub a month ago and it is in a outdoor setting. My question is how do I keep sand out of my hot tub?  ???

Hot Tub Forum

sand in my tub
« on: September 19, 2011, 04:01:57 pm »

Waterbug

Re: sand in my tub
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 08:40:32 pm »
  Google "Hot tub vacuum" .  There are a whole lot of products out there that are inexpensive and remove small debree from your tub.  Some use a siphon action off of one of your jets, some use a mechanical suction wand and others use suction from the skimmer or drain. 
   Of course, the best solution is to never get sand in the tub to begin with.  I feel your pain.  I live on a lake and my entire yard is sand.  I finished the entire ground floor of our home with ceramic tile, because I knew that sand would be an issue with hardwood or wall to wall carpet.  (and I don't even have kids at home).

tomsem

• 2010 Caldera Niagra
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 01:23:08 am »
This is the one I have.......it works great.

http://www.rhtubs.com/store/padarise-spa-vacuum.htm

sorebikr

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 09:45:20 am »
This is my first post. I bought my hot tub a month ago and it is in a outdoor setting. My question is how do I keep sand out of my hot tub?  ???

I think this would be your best preventative option:

You don't need something so fancy.  But a slatted wooden platform to stand on, and a garden hose should take care of things nicely.  Unless its winter time.  In which case...uh...wear slippers/shoes out to the tub. 

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 11:20:45 am »
I prefer motivation to keep the sand out. However, don't use this device while in the tub.

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

kspeters

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 01:26:10 pm »
Thank you for all the suggestions. I will try one of the vacuums! I wish I could believe that I wouldn't get any more sand in it ever but that's not realistic.  ;)

tex912

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 09:26:40 pm »
I would start by renting a compactor. Run the compactor over the sand, than cover with concrete and finish with a trowel. ;D  Or my favorite alternative is wear flip flops out to the tub but remove before getting in.

Waterbug

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 08:00:36 pm »
  This is a little OT but I was recently visiting a fishing tackle store and purchased a small (8" dia.) minnow/butterfly net, for $3.  It has a very fine nylon mesh and a 3 foot bamboo pole.  It is ideal for retrieving small debree from the bottom of the tub. (not sand though).  I keep it handy everytime that I clean the skimmer or remove the filter.  Something always ends up floating in the tub, when the filter is removed.

fdegree

• 2007 Sundance Optima
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 10:52:32 pm »
I hope I can explain this adequately.

The only thing I use to remove sand from the tub is a 3/4" piece of PVC pipe, about 3' - 4' long.

1.  I place my hand over one end of the pipe to seal it before lowering the other end down into the water.
2.  I place the other end in the water as close as possible to the sand/debris on the bottom.
3.  I remove my hand from the top..water, sand, debris rush up into the pipe.
4.  I place my hand back over the top of the pipe to seal it before removing the pipe from the water.
5.  After the pipe has been removed from the water I point the other end away from the tub and remove my hand...water, sand, debris falls out.
6.  Repeat until the bottom of the tub is clean.

Very simple and inexpensive.

I wish I could say this was an original idea, but I actually saw it posted by someone else a few years ago.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 11:30:20 am by fdegree »

Waterbug

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 09:15:24 am »
  Some of the vacuums work on the same concept.  They just have a larger section of tube, near the bottom, which increases the amount of suction/capacity.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 12:14:15 pm »
I had a huge problem with particulates in my pool this spring when I opened. They would collect on the bottom of the pool and instead of running them through my pool filter, I made a hose siphon and sucked them out on to the lawn. I also use the same method for my tub when I am draining the tub  lose siphon with my pool hose..

So on my spigot I have a split that allows me to hook up two hoses. Each has a valve. I put the tub hose into my water and the other on the lawn.  Open both valves, turn on the spigot allowing the water to flow through both hoses and then shut the spigot off..the hose on the lawn will make a nice strong siphon..then just suck all the sand out.  It works very fast and you really don't lose much water. when you are done, flush the hose in the tub and just add a little water. I think this is easy, but it may seem like a pain for you..maybe just do it when there is a lot of sand.  ;)

I actually ended up with those little granules from new shingles in my tub..friends didn't even think to wipe their feet off...this worked to pull them out just fine.

Support your dealer so they can support you!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 06:25:16 pm »
Bonni - that is brilliant. I have tried to find ways to start a siphon easily, and without putting the end of the garden hose in your mouth...But this it great.

Now - to improve on the idea, I bought a bunch of Garden Hose adapters. PVC fittings which glue onto the end of a section of PVC pipe - I like 3/4" and around 3 or 4 feet long is handy. I got female garden hose adapters - around $3 at a home center - and I make them up ten at a time (we sell them in our store for all the folks who live by the beach). We sell them for $5, and once people try them they always tell me they would have paid ten times that.

The things also hold the hose in the spa when you go to refill after a water change. Very handy, and they keep the water from splashing as the tub fills.

Here's a shot of the adapter, readily available on line or in stores.

You can also buy them with a male adapter, in case you are using a scrap section of hose with a female fitting on it. In your case, you want the female.

You'll love how you can get into the corners and such without fighting the flexibility of the hose anymore - give it a go.

In my yard, I don't have a low spot to put the hose close by, so I have a short section of hose just long enough to reach the ground and keep the water from coming out right on my toes. I think it's about 6' long, but it's just a shorty hose I had on hand.

I also make units out of vinyl tubing and pipe - these are 1/2" and take a bit less water out of the tub. They are perfect for sand, especially if you don't want as much water coming out of the tub, or if you like fancier tools.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 06:25:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42