What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: beachcomber 725 or 550?  (Read 11318 times)

drblythe

beachcomber 725 or 550?
« on: August 07, 2011, 08:56:09 pm »
I appreciate all of you who are so generous with your advice on this forum!  This is my first post but I hope to not waste your time. 

I have spent hours reading previous posts and we are down to deciding between these 2 Beachcomber models.  We looked at Sundance spas but the pillows are a dealbreaker for me.  Yuck!  We wet-tested a 725 yesterday and the size is perfect for our family of 3 but it lacks an effective foot/leg massage and we need this for my tall husband's bad ankle.  We want a lounger and the 725 lounger just works in that my feet reach the end (barely) so I'm not blown away.  The 740 lounger looks longer so it wouldn't work for me.  The 550 seems like it has the right size lounger and the unidirectional foot jets but we are concerned that it might be underpowered.  I think there's an option to get extra HP, or "turbo", whatever that is, but my salesman says the 550 "has enough power for anybody".  I understand we can't operate all the jets at the same time but that's okay, I think.  It's interesting to me that the salesman suggests that spending the extra money for the 700 series isn't really worth it and that the 500 series is the best value and all anybody really needs.  I believe it's a good quality tub and the customer support seems excellent.  We don't mind paying the extra for the 700 series if it's worth it but question whether buying the 2 pumps instead of one is money well spent.   

****Our main question is this: if we pretend that money's no object, would people in the know rather have a Beachcomber 725 or 550?  We just want to buy the perfect tub for us and take care of it.

Other questions:  is it worth an extra $350 Canadian to get it ozone-ready?  Or should we choose the option of the Cleartech system?  Is paying extra for the power guard cover upgrade worth it?  Should we get the turbo option?  We think we want the smooth "bathtub" opal finish.   

We have been quoted $8550 Canadian for the 550 Hybrid and Lift n'Store Plus cover remover, including delivery and set-up but not including tax.

A million thanks to anyone who cares to respond!  I have waited a long time for one of these!                   

Hot Tub Forum

beachcomber 725 or 550?
« on: August 07, 2011, 08:56:09 pm »

hudler

Re: beachcomber 725 or 550?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 10:12:07 pm »
Hi I am in Saskatchewan and just got my first hot tub after many years of reading and research. We did look at beachcomber including the 550 model. I ended up picking up a smoking deal on a Jacuzzi 470. We have had it running for a couple days and it is incredable! We have some experience with my sisters 300 series beachcomber and the Jacuzzi is in a different league. You should really wet test the tubs you are considering to see if the upgrade is worth it. We like the power of the two pumps, you guys might also. I looked at a 740? I think for around 9400 we did not test it out though. Beachcomber was on our list of tubs to buy, but after the Jacuzzi experience, only a couple of days old, we couldn't be happier.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 07:03:03 am »
The 740 lounger looks longer so it wouldn't work for me. 

My only advise is don't rule out a tub because of the looks. I am assuming since its longer, you think you will float out of it.  Wet test if before you rule it out.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drblythe

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 08:29:54 pm »
Thanks very much to both of you for taking the time to advise me!  I'll look at the Jacuzzi 470 - it does look great.  I heard from the local Sundance rep that both Sundance and Jacuzzi are assembled in Chino, CA, and the parts are made in Mexico.  I don't know if that's true but it's not a strong selling point.  Beachcombers are made 100 miles from here so I'd like to support local business if their product is good and I haven't heard anything bad yet. 

I dismissed the Beachcomber 740 because it seemed too big overall and therefore uneconomical but I have just been persuaded to look at it again. I think I assumed incorrectly that a relatively big tub would be significantly more expensive to operate than a smaller one.  Isn't it more the brand (and therefore the insulation) that determines how efficient and economical a tub is?  For that reason it's presumably money well-spent to get the best possible cover - true?

d00nut

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 10:32:02 pm »
The pillows are a dealbreaker?  That's the first time I've heard that...

Jacuzzi and Sundance are now made in Mexico, but continued the ISO 9001 certification, so quality-wise they are as high as you can get.

From what I can tell, I believe Beachcombers are made in BC, so I have no idea what they got going on in Vista, CA (headquarters?)  I noticed their right across from the Hot Spring Factory.

drblythe

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 11:09:57 pm »
Thanks.  Am I really the only one who thinks those pillows being wet all the time will attract mildew and scum and bacteria?  And I'm not a germophobe.  Surely they have to be replaced regularly, don't they? 

I shouldn't assume that a product made in BC, where I live, is better than a product made in Mexico - that is biased of me, for sure.  I do believe in supporting local jobs, though.  I don't know why Beachcomber has offices in California but I believe they are made in BC.  My search has narrowed to Beachcomber 740 and 540, the size of which seems more intimate and big enough for my family of 3.  I'd love opinions on whether the 740 is worth the extra cost and space, or not.  Thanks!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 11:18:06 am »
Thanks.  Am I really the only one who thinks those pillows being wet all the time will attract mildew and scum and bacteria?  And I'm not a germophobe.  Surely they have to be replaced regularly, don't they? 

I'm guessing the Beachcomber guy tried to scare you on pillows. BC doesn't have pillows on their spas so they will tell you that you shouldn’t want them. I just went to their site and sure enough found where their all-knowing founder says “Customers have told me that one of the biggest problems with this method of construction is that these synthetic pillows stain, absorb bacteria, smell and become unsanitary and will have to be thrown away.” Big problem lol? Funny, people don’t tell me that and I don’t see people saying that on this website over the past few years. BC also doesn’t (or didn’t) have ozone and will tell people that you don't want that either. They make a good spa but I find those scare tactics overblown silliness. For a long time Marquis also didn't have pillows and would tell people they didn't want them (now they have them and say it’s different because of the new type materials used even though those materials have been used in the industry for about a decade).

Pillows in the 90s sucked, fell apart over time and maybe there was some mildew issues with those things. The pillows nowadays are made from material like they use to make Crocs. They don't fall apart and they won't mildew or turn green (unless you totally neglect your spa and the entire thing turns green) and they are cleanable just like those ugly-ass Crocs are (needless to say I don’t wear them but I won’t tell people they shouldn’t either lol).

I'm not trying to sell you on pillows any more than a car guy should try to praise a car based on a cup holder. I’m just trying to say pillows should not be looked at as an issue to deal with IMO ro be much of a thought during a spa search.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

drblythe

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 08:46:34 pm »
Thanks - that's very helpful and I appreciate your reply.  Actually it was  the Sundance rep who told me the pillows deteriorate and that most people replace them every 3 years or so and showed me how to pop them out.  A customer in the store at the time agreed with him.  Now that I know pillows aren't a big deal (and anyway they're cheap and easy to replace) my horizons have been broadened and I'll go wet-test the Sundance.  Would you think the two brands are about equal quality and dependability?  The prices seem comparable.  If we ignore questionable marketing, am I correct that Beachcomber tubs are good quality?  Unless we travel off-island our choices are Beachcomber, Arctic (no local rep, they're 100 miles away), Hydropool, Maxx, Sundance and Jacuzzi (and Coast).  I just want to buy a quality tub that is likely to be problem-free for a while.  Thanks again.

d00nut

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 09:17:19 pm »
Of all the brands mentioned, I'd say look heavily at Jacuzzi, Sundance, and Artic.  Jacuzzi is my personal favorite of the three, but I'm heavily biased.  Sundance is of the same breed as Jacuzzi.  I always have heard pretty good reviews on Artic, but have had no experience with them.  Maax are a Meh spa to me.  I had a dealer down the street from me that had them and I would classify them as a mid to low level spa.

hudler

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 10:45:28 pm »
Beachcomber is a very good tub, it MIGHT lack some of the massage that the higher end tubs have (I have only been in a lower end beachcomber and a higher end Jacuzzi so not a fair comparison) and some bells and whistles, but solid reliable tub. Go wet test a 700 series beachcomber and a 300 series Jacuzzi and see what you think, they should be close in price also. Both would be good choices! I am not too familiar with the other tubs. Relax and have fun! One thing I really like on the 400 series Jacuzzi is the remote, you can see the temp and do multiple adjustments from your house and in 30 below weather that will be nice. You can probably get that option on beachcomber and other tubs too. Not sure where you are in Canada, but might be a nice option!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 10:45:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42