What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Neighbors using your hottub?  (Read 7539 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Neighbors using your hottub?
« on: July 23, 2011, 09:41:48 pm »
Anyone ever had problems with neighbors sneaking dips in your hottub? We have relatively new neighbors, the overly friendly type. A couple of times I thought it was my approaching senility. I am usually lazy and only secure the cover latch closest to the back door.  One days when foul weather is approaching I may secure all 4 latches, but never only the one away from the door.  Two weeks ago I changed the water, and last weekend we were out of town for the weekend and this week we have foam in our tub with the jets on.  I haven't had foam in the tub in 5 years.  (Suits rarely in tub)

I guess I'm going to have to try and find those keys to the cover locks.  I think I might put up signs about tresspassers will be shot.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

Neighbors using your hottub?
« on: July 23, 2011, 09:41:48 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Neighbors using your hottub?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 01:06:46 am »
Probably no key required. Anything that will fit in the slot will turn it.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

SurgTec

• Up to my neck in hot water!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 08:10:27 am »
A trespassers will be shot sign, perhaps?  Incredible what some people think they can 'get away' with!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 11:18:43 am »
I guess that since they think they are your new best friends, they won't consider themselves trespassers. Maybe the next time you go away, you can ask them to keep an eye on the tub since you just poured all sorts of nasty chemicals in to keep it from getting contaminated while you are away and you hope no one tries to use it..Bill, you are so tech saavy, you could hook up a camera and see what is going on. I know anyone can probably unlock the tub, but I still lock mine..I think if they tried to jimmy it open, you would see the marks on the clips..they are only plastic. 
Support your dealer so they can support you!

NurseN2000

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 02:11:03 pm »
I guess that since they think they are your new best friends, they won't consider themselves trespassers. Maybe the next time you go away, you can ask them to keep an eye on the tub since you just poured all sorts of nasty chemicals in to keep it from getting contaminated while you are away and you hope no one tries to use it..Bill, you are so tech saavy, you could hook up a camera and see what is going on. I know anyone can probably unlock the tub, but I still lock mine..I think if they tried to jimmy it open, you would see the marks on the clips..they are only plastic. 

lol I like this idea, I can't believe the nerve of some people.  Can you imagine if something happened to them while in your tub and they tried to blame you for it?? 

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 03:22:42 pm »
I'd screw with them first. Next time you're going out for the night I'd find a way to let it be known to them by seeing them in the yard and conveniently stopping to say hi and tell them you're out till late that night. But I'd use the oppurtunity to drain the spa as a welcome to them to tiptoe over to an empty hot tub. Then I'd start locking it out.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Waterbug

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 11:23:04 pm »
  If you're only gone for the day or evening, killing power at the main breaker would dampen the fun a little bit.  If you'll be gone for several days, chlorinate the hell out of it before you leave. (Gotta prevent nasty bugs while you're gone :)   )

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 07:08:25 am »
  If you're only gone for the day or evening, killing power at the main breaker would dampen the fun a little bit.  If you'll be gone for several days, chlorinate the hell out of it before you leave. (Gotta prevent nasty bugs while you're gone :)   )

Two good options, at least for this time of the year.  I will probably super chlorinate the tub the next weekend we go away, but I did put up a couple of signs yesterday after dumping the water and refilling yesterday.

The neighbor is a bit of a young kid, and a first time home owner. He seems way to comfortable with walking in other people's yards and anxious to become involved in their affairs.  The illegals across the street broke their redwood privacy fence by playing soccer against it.  After a month they replaced one plank with an untreated plank.  This neighbor actually bought redwood stain, painted it and gave them the rest of the stain. I'm glad to not have to look at the fence, but I thought that was bold.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

colo_artist

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 10:26:01 am »
Anyone ever had problems with neighbors sneaking dips in your hottub? We have relatively new neighbors, the overly friendly type. A couple of times I thought it was my approaching senility. I am usually lazy and only secure the cover latch closest to the back door.  One days when foul weather is approaching I may secure all 4 latches, but never only the one away from the door.  Two weeks ago I changed the water, and last weekend we were out of town for the weekend and this week we have foam in our tub with the jets on.  I haven't had foam in the tub in 5 years.  (Suits rarely in tub)

I guess I'm going to have to try and find those keys to the cover locks.  I think I might put up signs about tresspassers will be shot.

You could turn the temperature down...save energy and discourage unwanted guests.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 01:38:41 pm »

You could turn the temperature down...save energy and discourage unwanted guests.

This time of year, as it was 2 weeks ago, that wouldn't work to well.  I had the tub at 101 and with the heat we have been having and the good cover I have, it would probably remain 100-101 all weekend. worst case it might get to 98 or so, and with the jets that might still feel good one some of our hot humid nights.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 02:43:05 pm »
I'm thinking a micro switch (on about a 30 second delay) and about 2000 watts of halogen lighting.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 02:44:24 pm »
How about security camera aimed at the tub when your away?  ;D When you get back you can invite them over to watch a movie with you. (them in your tub!)  :D
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

d00nut

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 03:06:25 pm »
When you clean your filters with acid, be sure to dispose of the acid on their lawn.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 03:06:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42