What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: *** CHAS***hotsprings landmark sub panel hookup?  (Read 5548 times)

kylake

*** CHAS***hotsprings landmark sub panel hookup?
« on: June 25, 2011, 08:36:35 pm »
it calls for a sub panel with 20amp gfi breaker & a 30amp breaker in sub panel.could i just put a 50amp gfi breaker in main panel & use regural breakers in sub panel?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 07:07:21 pm by kylake »

Hot Tub Forum

*** CHAS***hotsprings landmark sub panel hookup?
« on: June 25, 2011, 08:36:35 pm »

Waterbug

Re: hotsprings landmark sub panel hookup?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 10:07:13 pm »
it calls for a sub panel with 20amp gfi breaker & a 30amp breaker in sub panel.could i just put a 50amp gfi breaker in main panel & use regural breakers in sub panel?
  You have something wrong.  ALL wiring to the hot tub must be on a GFI breaker.  Why would there be a 30 Amp breaker in the sub-panel ?  Does your tub only require a 20 amp circuit ?  Is this a 120 VAC or 240 VAC circuit ? What guage wiring are you using and what is horse power of your pump and wattage of your heater ?  If you can't answer these questions, hire an electrician.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 10:15:01 am »
Go here - http://www.hotspring.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/owners-manual/hot-spring_spas_owners_manual_2010.pdf

And see the factory wiring diagram. Your tub DOES indeed need a sub panel with TWO breakers:

One 20A and one 30A. They usually install GFI breakers at the sub panel and a regular breaker to feed the sub from your main panel. That's for a reason: if the heater develops a ground fault, only the breaker feeding it will trip and the tub can continue to circulate water as needed.

From a safety standpoint, I don't see a difference in running the GFI at the panel or in the sub - but that is assuming all requirements of the NEC are complied with.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

kylake

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 01:08:18 pm »
Chas
  So if I put regular 20 amp & 30 amp breaker in sub panel,& 50 amp gfi breaker in main panel in house thats ok.Because we will only have tub in use during warm monthes.During winter it will be drained.So if something happens to heater or pumps it will just trip main breaker in house?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 10:00:47 am »
True - any fault will trip the 50A at the house.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

kylake

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 10:20:20 am »
Chas
  Ok sounds good,so the white 12 awg neutral wire going to the 20a 230v breaker, i would just hook up in sub panel with the 8 awg going to main panel,?since i am not putting the 20amp 230v gfi breaker in sub panel?One last thing what is the 8 awg soild bond wire for?Thanks for all your help you are the best.If i decide to hook up with the gfis in sub you said you sell the sub panel with breakers in it.what is the price for it?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 10:20:20 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42