What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Maax vs. Hotsprings- specifically, opinions on Maax 480/482  (Read 34444 times)

Gassy

I am new to the forum, new to spa purchasing, and my wife & I were set on the HS Vanguard until I checked out the local Maax dealer.  The features on the Maax 482 seem superior to the HS Vanguard, it is infinitely more comfortable, but not finding as much researchable info on the net about Maax, I would greatly value the opinions of those of you familiar with this brand.  Thanks in advance...

Hot Tub Forum

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Maax vs. Hotsprings- specifically, opinions on Maax 480/482
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 10:20:23 pm »
I am new to the forum, new to spa purchasing, and my wife & I were set on the HS Vanguard until I checked out the local Maax dealer.  The features on the Maax 482 seem superior to the HS Vanguard, it is infinitely more comfortable, but not finding as much researchable info on the net about Maax, I would greatly value the opinions of those of you familiar with this brand.  Thanks in advance...

The HS Vangaurd is in a different league than the Maxx.
Retired

Gassy

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 04:23:33 am »
What exactly do you mean? I think you will find plenty of people who place them in a similar league, and in fact, there are distinct advantages to both, so some elaboration would be very helpful.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 07:42:38 am »
What exactly do you mean? I think you will find plenty of people who place them in a similar league, and in fact, there are distinct advantages to both, so some elaboration would be very helpful.

My experience with Maxx has them noisier, higher energy consumers with not as clean a fit and finish and no long stand reputation for building and backing a quality product comparably to the Hot Springs line. But I am sure my experience won't convince you. But that's OK it's nothing more than my experience.
Retired

Gassy

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 03:10:26 pm »
Thanks, Tman.  That helps.  The price on the Maax seems high for what it is, especially lacking the HotSprings reputation.  As an aside, have you ever seen the injected foam core of a hot tub attacked by carpenter ants as I was told can happen by the Maax salesman?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 04:18:55 pm »
Thanks, Tman.  That helps.  The price on the Maax seems high for what it is, especially lacking the HotSprings reputation.  As an aside, have you ever seen the injected foam core of a hot tub attacked by carpenter ants as I was told can happen by the Maax salesman?

He's trying to steer you away from full foam insulation with an ant story as if thats what you can expect? OK, that can happen but its far from typical and not a reason to avoid Hot Springs. I wouldn't give it any thought nor would i tell you to avoid that salesman, its just salemanship. My opinion is similar to Roger's but no one is trying to tell you what to buy, only giving the opinions you asked for. Take you time, wet test and make the decision you're comfortable with.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 04:53:36 pm »
its funny how some salesman paint such a bad scenario on a hot tub, i hear it all the time see it happen, yes carpenter ants were seen in full foam tubs, specifically those of the 8os and 90s full foam with no abs pan on the bottom, I have seen that and i have pics on a 1996 tub that was not on a concrete or paver base not sealed on the bottom the foam was right there. this thing was full of them when we were removing the spa for a new one.. you very rarely see that happen on a full foam spa that is in the upper tier of spa...most of them have a fully enclosed abs pan, D1, Sundance, Jacuzzi, Marquis, Hot Springs,,,, so that is not even an issue anymore,  If that is what the salesman has to talk about , he is missing the boat here.   When you were in the store did they show their poster of the energy efficiencies, it shows the Maax 780 being the lowest,,,then the D1 Chairman, well on that they are off by 3.00 on the average,, also they also have some others wrong as well, they hav SUndance Altamar, it is  a smaller spa then the Arct5ic, D1, so they are not even comparing apples to apples...Maax is a good spa, but would i put them in the top...no,, i would put D1, Hot SPrings, Sundance, Jacuzzi, Marquis in the top tier.....
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

Gassy

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 10:26:19 pm »
Again, thank you to the experienced folk of this forum for your replies.  Seeing the Maax was like popping into a car showroom and being dazzled by the flashy sports car and smooth talking salesman.  Fortunately, I'm not an impulse buyer.  I'm back to considering the HS Envoy or Vanguard.  Running up against very rigid pricing from my local HS dealer... I know the markup on these things is around 30-40%, and we're in a slow economy.  Haven't pushed it to the wall yet.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 08:19:17 am »

Yes I have seen ants borrow in and live in foam. I've seen ightening strike a spa also. And I've seen trees fall on spa's. Over the years I have seen just about anything you can think of happen to tubs. But having a salesman tell me ants will get in foam tubs!! Glad you didn't fall for it. Good luck. Did you know because of the way Maxx designs there tubs they have a tendency to hurt your eyes after 4-5 years when the sun reflects off the shell. You don't want that, Our tubs will never hurt your eyes!
Retired

jared65

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 02:12:20 pm »
We’ve had our Maax Spa for 5 years now and love it! We weren’t really familiar with the brand either but learned about it at a local hot tub show. Maax has actually been around since the 60’s, and is the number one hydrotherapy hot tub.

All of the Maax tubs have around 50 jets that are targeted to areas of the body that can be sites of muscle tension. They also have a brand new line of Urban Series hot tubs that have all of the hydrotherapy elements, but are built for modern backyard design. You can get custom panels made to match your backyard and you can add rocks or greenery in the sill.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:21:15 pm by Forum Admin »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 02:23:53 pm »
We’ve had our Maax Spa for 5 years now and love it! We weren’t really familiar with the brand either but learned about it at a local hot tub show. Maax has actually been around since the 60’s, and is the number one hydrotherapy hot tub.

All of the Maax tubs have around 50 jets that are targeted to areas of the body that can be sites of muscle tension. They also have a brand new line of Urban Series hot tubs that have all of the hydrotherapy elements, but are built for modern backyard design. You can get custom panels made to match your backyard and you can add rocks or greenery in the sill.

every single brand of spa at a "home-show" "has been around for 60 years and is the best spa on the planet".......according to the sales guy selling it anyway  ;D 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 05:30:02 pm »

So they caught up to the other brands who have been doing the same thing for years now. If this isn't a slick sales pitch I don't know what is.
Retired

rin-spa-aic

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 11:43:15 am »
Gassy you can check out this thread, it may be helpful:
http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,16022.0.html

We've been very happy with the Maax since we bought it. I would not consider it noisy at all.

Final purchase decision based on a few things:
Wife gave it thumbs up due to the quality of sales guy at the show, features, and perceived bang for the buck in the size we needed.
I gave it thumbs up due to build quality, competitive warranty, and lack of negative feedback during research phase for both the tub and local dealer.

Hot Spring / Hot Spot looked like good tubs and we considered the sister brand Caldera.
Basically the local HS dealer is terrible so they weren't in the running, but would certainly considered the Caldera which was from a different more reputable dealer.

Comfort is an important factor.  Prior to shopping test I had some ideas about what I wanted. Getting in the tubs made a big impact.
Another big factor is the dealer and your comfort/confidence in them.

TomWaterPure

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 01:43:43 pm »
Having been a manufacturer, distributor and dealer in the hot tub and pool industry I have seen it all. Many dealers make false claims (especially sales people). The best thing to do is educate yourself, there's plenty of information online. Many of the spas on the market use the same components, pumps, jets, control boards, etc. The shells are also often only a design difference as many use the same acrylic sheets and vacuum mold them. My advice go online and see reviews on the manufacturers, do they stand behind their products, duration of warranty, pumps, control panels, heaters, etc.

I noticed someone  mentioned full foam spas ... I am not fan of full foam, after warranty has expired typcially is the time frame you may get your first leak. Good luck finding one ... some times your lucky and its a jet leak or you go right too it. We have had instances where it took 12 to 14 hours of digging out foam ... remember, water flows along the path of least resistance ... not straight down in full foam spas ... at shop times of $80.00 per hour do the math, this does not include parts or replacing the foam thats been removed .... a leak could cost you $1,5000 + This does not happen with spas that use thermo-lock systems.

Thermo-lock spas typcially have a couple of inches sprayed on the shell and removable foam side panels ...  This makes it much easier to work on in case of leaks and as far as energy consumption it's a toss up ... Pumps, heaters, hot water running through plumbed pipes. put out heat ... and the hot air is trapped around the shell transferring heat to it.

Remember to educate yourself, also go with a reputable dealer and manufacturer when you buy.

Hope this helps a little ... 

TomWaterPure

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 12:27:48 pm »
Maax had a side panel off one of their spas at the home-show...and I managed to track down their insulation supplier

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Materials-Insulation-Sheathings/Foam-Board/Energy-Star/h_d1/R-100320356/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&productId=100320356&storeId=10051#.UTDkYlecuZQ

top quality stuff, lol

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 12:27:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42