What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Can I negotiate with a local family owned spa dealership?  (Read 4832 times)

NurseN2000

Can I negotiate with a local family owned spa dealership?
« on: June 05, 2011, 11:31:35 pm »
They seem pretty set on their price, in fact one of the things I liked when dealing with them is that they didn't start acting like used car salespeople and say things like "I'll tell you what I can do for you...".  They gave lots of information, were very nice, and in talking with the "chemical guy" (who came over to see how I liked the tub I was wet testing), found out that his parents are the owners and his grandparents started the company 24 years ago...and he will one day be the owner  :).  I guess what I'm getting at is, can a family owned business like that have room to move on price like the larger, chain stores always seem to do?  I think(?) the Sundance Optima (or Cameo) I'm looking at is reasonably priced at $8999, but it's still a lot of money and pushes the upper limits of my budget.

Anyone else ever try negotiating with a family owned (they own 2 stores in my area) dealership?

Hot Tub Forum

Can I negotiate with a local family owned spa dealership?
« on: June 05, 2011, 11:31:35 pm »

castletonia

Re: Can I negotiate with a local family owned spa dealership?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 01:03:08 am »
You can always try to negotiate.  Whether or not they move on price depends on how they price their spas.  Dealers can essentially mark their spas whatever they want.  Some mark them at the price they must sell for and therefore will not negotiate.  Others may have thousands to move because they inflate the msrp.  While I am not a Sundance dealer and don't have any locally to compare that price, it seems to be a pretty good price.  What is included in the price?

footie

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 05:48:25 am »
They seem pretty set on their price, in fact one of the things I liked when dealing with them is that they didn't start acting like used car salespeople and say things like "I'll tell you what I can do for you...".  They gave lots of information, were very nice, and in talking with the "chemical guy" (who came over to see how I liked the tub I was wet testing), found out that his parents are the owners and his grandparents started the company 24 years ago...and he will one day be the owner  :).  I guess what I'm getting at is, can a family owned business like that have room to move on price like the larger, chain stores always seem to do?  I think(?) the Sundance Optima (or Cameo) I'm looking at is reasonably priced at $8999, but it's still a lot of money and pushes the upper limits of my budget.

Anyone else ever try negotiating with a family owned (they own 2 stores in my area) dealership?

There is two ways at looking at this. 1 is to see if their price is already as kean as other store slightly further afield and 2 is it worth paying a little more for the fact that they have been in business for 24yrs and are family run.

I think you need to do a bit of reseach to see how competitive their price already is and if they aren't that far away on price whether it's worthwhile sticking with them because of their personal touch and experience.

DON'T BUY INTO THE PRICE, BUY INTO THE DEALER

NurseN2000

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 06:23:37 am »
The stated price includes steps, cover, lifter, chemicals (they even toss in some aromatherapy beads lol) from what I can remember.  I have been to all the local dealers and tested (dry and wet) pretty much every tub I have been interested in so I can't remember if there is anything else, but that's the basics of what is included.  I really did like this dealership a lot, I didn't feel like someone was trying to make their quota by selling me a tub...rather it was like they were going to give me all the information, tell me the reasons they believe in Sundance, and let the tub sell itself.  I found of all the tubs I tested, the cameo was the most comfortable for me to sit in.  I'm glad I went back to wet test it, I had almost written them off because I was wooed by the hotsprings fountain and lights on the envoy.  But the hotsprings pushed me out of the seats so much and the wrist jets must have been made for someone with gianormous arms, because I had to lean way forward to reach them at all.  I also really fell in love with the waterfall on the sundance, you can remove a piece and let the water trickle in for a visual + sound experience.  I will be wet testing an Optima tomorrow, just so I can decide between the Cameo with the lounger & cooldown seat vs the Optima with the footwell jets (lose one set of wrist jets & the cooldown seat).  They were perfectly happy to drain their Cameo and fill the Optima for me, and I really liked that too, this dealer is very pleasant to work with, so I'm really confident that it will remain a good working relationship after purchase, they assured me that they would always help me and that Sundance would be there to back them up as well.  I'm so glad I came to these boards and learned about "wet testing" and what a difference the dealer can make!  I will definately call around to other dealerships to verify the price on their Cameo/Optima's, but I do think the price is fair...I just read on the forums how people seemed to be negotiating on price, so while I am willing to pay the stated price, I want to make sure I am getting the best price as well.

Thanks for the info!!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 07:16:58 am »

DON'T BUY INTO THE PRICE, BUY INTO THE DEALER

I would modify this statement just slightly.  Don't buy into JUST the price, Also consider the dealer.   If you can get a better price somewhere else, give this dealer a chance to match it and keep your business, otherwise this sounds like a reasonable price for a good spa. (I haven't been pricing in a while.)  At least we know your not getting ripped off.

I bought my spa in 2003 from a family business with a 10+ year history and a year later the owner sold the company to this son and a friend. A year later they were gone.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 11:24:09 am »
That is a great price, especially with the accessories thrown in.

NurseN2000

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 09:45:36 pm »
So I took footie's suggestion and called the Sundance dealer in the next city over, boy was I shocked when they quoted me >$12,000 for the same Optima/Cameo model!!!  Of course, I'm sure that would leave room to "slash" the price, if i wanted to drive close to 2 hours to look at them...No thanks!!!  I feel pretty happy with the original price and dealer, so I think my mind is made up.  Thanks for all the suggestions/info!! Now I just need to decide...Cameo or Optima???!!!  :D

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 11:27:14 pm »
The $8,999 is one of the more aggressive prices for those models these days.  Many on here have paid over $10K for an Optima and/or Cameo.  So if it were me, I would not even bother trying to get it any lower because you KNOW you already have a great price.

I did something similar with a motorcycle I recently bought.  Learned that the dealer was willing to sell it as cheap (or cheaper) than ANY other dealer I had found on ANY website or lower than anyone else in any of the forums had been able to get it for.  Pair that with a great pair of brothers that own the business in the same town I have a beach condo at and it became a "no-brainer".

As far as the lounger/no lounger goes...I got a lounger in my Jacuzzi that would have been VERY similar to a Cameo.  However, my particular tub ALSO has foot jets like the Optima so I got the best of both worlds
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 11:35:34 pm by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

footie

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 02:15:48 am »
So I took footie's suggestion and called the Sundance dealer in the next city over, boy was I shocked when they quoted me >$12,000 for the same Optima/Cameo model!!!  Of course, I'm sure that would leave room to "slash" the price, if i wanted to drive close to 2 hours to look at them...No thanks!!!  I feel pretty happy with the original price and dealer, so I think my mind is made up.  Thanks for all the suggestions/info!! Now I just need to decide...Cameo or Optima???!!!  :D

Well at least you now know that they aren't trying to stiff you, quite the opposite in fact. Listen, I don't know these guys from Adam but if you get a good feeling about them and the price is right then go for it, I bought my first ever tub last year and I'm loving it, Sundance is a very good brand so I'm sure if any issue arise between the manufacturer and dealer you'll be looked after.

sstrahan7@msn.com

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 04:25:37 am »
I bought a cameo a little over a month ago and we really like it. We love the lounger too, it is probably the favorite seat. The cameo also has some good foot jets. The price sounds great to me (I paid $9,500+tax), and the fact that they don't negotiate to much show's they have some integrity. It means everybody will get a fair price, you don't have to worry about them selling it to you for more than the next guy just because you don't negotiate as well.

NurseN2000

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 10:15:36 pm »
Well I went in today, tested the Optima...I think I'm going to go with the Optima!  I loved the foot jets in the center, they are awesome!  They have actually been in business for 39 years, I was mistaken.  I think the price is fair, for sure, and they are not pushy salespeople.  I am just about ready to pull the trigger, just want to think about it a little while longer to be sure...any more opinions on lounger vs no lounger???

footie

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 04:30:47 am »
Well I went in today, tested the Optima...I think I'm going to go with the Optima!  I loved the foot jets in the center, they are awesome!  They have actually been in business for 39 years, I was mistaken.  I think the price is fair, for sure, and they are not pushy salespeople.  I am just about ready to pull the trigger, just want to think about it a little while longer to be sure...any more opinions on lounger vs no lounger???

A lounger is only good if you don't float out of it (this can and does happen with some), the only disadvantage is they take up valuable space that is generally decreases foot space for everyone else, only really an issue if tub is fully occupied. If you and your family like the lounger in the Optima then pull the trigger.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 07:02:43 am »
So I took footie's suggestion and called the Sundance dealer in the next city over, boy was I shocked when they quoted me >$12,000 for the same Optima/Cameo model!!!

You will never get a low price in the first call over the phone, thats the "if your dumb enough to pay it" price offer. After you visit them and get offered $10k you will think your really making a great deal  ;)  That said, it does sound like a great price from the dealer you prefer.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 12:40:26 pm »
yeh getting that unit under 10 i think is very good, and the Sundance is a very good spa..dealer has been around a long time,, hard to beat...
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

Jet Sitter

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 03:43:09 pm »
NurseN2000 - I am not a fan of lounges in spas but there are those who love them.  My wife and I tend to move to different seats and like the variety.  Be absolutely certain that the lounge works well for you if you decide to buy the Cameo.

On the other hand, I am a fan of foot jets.  Some work better than others.  I think the Optima is a great tub.

It seems that you found a solid dealer and good price.  Looking ahead a little to the time that you will drain and re-fill the tub, it is always nice to have a spare filter (set of filters) so that you can get the tub up and running ASAP while the removed filter soaks overnight.  Perhaps you can ask the dealer to throw in a set of filters to close the deal.  They will cost him less than the price you would pay to buy them so it is not a huge consolation on his part.  On the other hand if he says no, it should not be a deal breaker for you.

Also - look into your options for replacing Sumdance filters.  Many choose not to go with the more costly (disposable?) option and go with the standard filter.  I am not a Sundance owner so others can give you better advice on this.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 03:43:09 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42