What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Fixing Ice Damaged Plumbing  (Read 2904 times)

JulieMor

• IBEW Member since 1974
Fixing Ice Damaged Plumbing
« on: May 12, 2011, 11:12:49 am »
I have a 1993 Hot Springs Grandee.  A failed heater resulted in some ice damage.  We opened it up yesterday and found several leaks.  Some were at glue joints but one was a severe crack in the 1-1/2" flex pipe.  Either the pipe will have to be replaced or some heavy duty patch will have to be applied.

With so little play in the flex I'm wondering if we will be able to cut away the damaged section and put in a new piece.  I don't think we can get enough movement in the flex to get it back far enough to clear the coupling end.  Is there a split coupling available?

As for the other leaks, the two we have found so far are at "T" joints and, like most of the piping, are firmly locked in place, even after removing the sprayed in foam.  So I'm wondering if a leak solution like Fix-A-Leak would work.  The ads say it fills holes as large as 1/8", far more that the leaks at the fittings.  That could also take care of any leaks we don't know about yet.

If we can get the leaks fixed we want to replace the foam insulation.  Would that spray foam sold at most home centers work?  I know we would use a lot but I can't find any other options.

Thanks,
Julie

Hot Tub Forum

Fixing Ice Damaged Plumbing
« on: May 12, 2011, 11:12:49 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Fixing Ice Damaged Plumbing
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 11:57:11 am »
The kind of coupling you need is common enough. Check with the dealer but bring a picture in so they can see your situation.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Fixing Ice Damaged Plumbing
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 11:57:11 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42