What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ouch  (Read 3618 times)

drprwnap

Ouch
« on: May 07, 2011, 08:11:15 pm »
Well after 5.5 years of hot tub bilss in my Marquis Epic, I got stung today. Long story but I'll try to shorten it up. Cover went bad and after looking around I decided to order one from my dealer. Price was competitive and I was happy to give him the order. On Wednesday night went out to soak. No power to the spa. Oh well. Reset the breaker, everything started but I noticed that "240" never read on the display. Okay, leave it run overnight and check it in the morning. Next day it was 2 degrees colder that the night before. Shut it down and called. Tech came out today and found my circuit board was fried. Bummer. Replace the board, install the cover. Everything okay, right? Wrong. Went out to check the spa about an hour after the tech left and the breaker was tripped again. REAL BUMMER. Called and they told me my heater was bad. Will be out tomorrow. Here's the worst part: new cover, board, service call (understand with the price of gas), labor-
$1100.00!!!  >:(
I was  ready for $500 for the cover (with the service call & tax) but wasn't ready for  $1300-$1500!! I'm not mad at my dealer but almost $600 for a circuit board? REALLY???? I just though that after spending over $8000 for the spa, that I wouldn't have an $800-$1,000 repair bill (subtracting the cover) in 5 years. I guess I'm just not really happy with Marquis right now.
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

Hot Tub Forum

Ouch
« on: May 07, 2011, 08:11:15 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Ouch
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 09:47:14 pm »
Wow..I sure don't blame you for being upset.  Your tub would be just 6 months out of warranty (right)..that really stinks. :-\ 
Support your dealer so they can support you!

drprwnap

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 08:27:22 am »
Wow..I sure don't blame you for being upset.  Your tub would be just 6 months out of warranty (right)..that really stinks. :-\ 

You're correct-6 months out of warranty. Just my luck. The cover I was expecting to replace after 5 years, that wasn't the problem. But in the age of computers - $600 for a circuit board ??? I don't know how it got fried but if the heater failure caused it, why isn't there some kind of protective circuit to prevent that?
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 02:51:54 pm »
The reason consumer electronics have become so competitive is mass production.

The spa industry is tiny.  Apple probably uses more circuit boards in a day than the spa industry uses in a year.  Don't look for hot tub electronics to be going down in price.

On top of that, Marquis is a relatively small manufacturer.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 02:51:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42