What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Jacuzzi vs Clearwater  (Read 7611 times)

fritzp

Jacuzzi vs Clearwater
« on: April 29, 2011, 03:47:58 pm »
We are looking at buying our first hot tub and are down to between the Jacuzzi J280 and the Clearwater XS93NL Signature.  Reading this and other forums it is evident that the consensus is that Jacuzzi is considered to be the better brand and which I am leaning to.  I say leaning because I have a couple of concerns that maybe someone could help clarify.  The biggest is that we are in the Seattle area in which everything is perpetually wet Nov-Apr.  With the Jacuzzi frame being wood and the Clearwater using no wood, I am concerned of the Jacuzzi frame rotting.  The tub will be sitting on a concrete slab.
I believe the Jacuzzi comes w/ an ABS pan, but still am concerned on trapped moisture ultimately rotting the frame.  Anyone have experiences, either rotting or not rotting wood frames out here in this area?  Is it a huge concern?  Any other mitigating steps I can take to alleviate any rotting issue – like putting the tub on a 2x4 PT frame….

Other questions:
Clearwater has a 24/7 circ. pump while the J280 is optional – what is the advantage of a small circ pump vs using the larger jets to periodically move the water through the system?

Clearwater boasts less energy consumption / month.  Is this a reality or skewed data statistics?  Which tub will cost more to run/month in my environment assuming same usage?

Clearwater has an ozone generating system while J280 is optional – read mixed results on the need, but ultimately it comes down to whether the cost of maintenance/chemicals are drastically reduced w/ the ozone system.

Quoted for the J280, $7500 (includes tax); Signature, $7500+tax (9%).

Thanks for your attention.

Hot Tub Forum

Jacuzzi vs Clearwater
« on: April 29, 2011, 03:47:58 pm »

NikiR

Re: Jacuzzi vs Clearwater
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 04:55:57 pm »
hi fritzp,

Welcome to the forum. hopefully some of the people on here that sell the tubs, etc. can help you with your questions about rotting. I'm not sure.
We purchased a clearwater spa at the end of Feburary 2011. We love it. We bought the St. Andrew signature series(last years model) it is a 7ft with the salt system. we're from Canada. the circ pump from the research we did and talking to the different dealers is the better way to go, less noise. the water is always moving so less chance of it getting dirty(i believe) could be wrong.
So far with energy consumption it seems to be on par with what we thought and the info we were given(although hard to say when we don't have a different tub right next to it hooked up to a different power bill).

I hope this helps a little.
I also know that the clearwaters are made in your state.

good luck and like a bunch of the pros on here will tell you wet test if possible and definately sit in them. Some look better on the floor than they are comfortable. and its ultimitely you and whom ever else is using it on a regular basis that needs to be comfortable and happy.

:)

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 04:59:29 pm »
 First off welcome to the forum.  

I am located in Bellingham so feel free to call me if you wish.  360)739-6903  To answer a few questions first have you wet tested to see which you like best before all the BS starts about who's spa does what.  

As far as the bases I do like the ABS base which is on the Jacuzzi 300 series and above have.  The rotting wise I have yet to see it happen in my 12 years, will it happen suppose so but it is treated wood and will take a long while to get to the rotting stage.    Circ pump wise it is an option on the 200 series and we sell it with every unit regardless and just include it in the price, 24 hr filtration and quiet is the key!  Is it needed not necessarily but I like it, as most would probably agree.   If your thinking ozone add the circ pump, only make sense.   Chemical wise it does help of course, depending on the number of people using the spa.     I like the proclear system with a product called replenish it's a shock,sanitizer and clairifier all in one.    Price wise it looks good.   Should add energy wise both should be the same, the Jacuzzi is full foam the clearwater is not.  Both have good stories as to foam or no foam, I like full foam.  But really both should cost the same to operate.

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 04:42:48 pm »
Both are very good brands , just two different ways of the build, I would not be swayed by the wood rotting, tubs have been made that way since day one and still do, I have seen tubs leak for years ans years and the structure in pretty good shape,,, yes they eventually will fail, I agree with Jim, 24 hour circ pump is the way to go... it runs quiet in the evening, it injects ozone 24/7 and heater works off the circ pump not the jet pumps.. Both spas will be fine over there. The Clearwater is my 2nd line my main is D1, and the same as Jim says he makes the 24/7 circ standard as do we on our @ home series... both energy efficient, Find which fits you better , and the dealer you are working with is also huge..
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 02:57:56 pm »
Do they build decks in Seattle out of metal or wood?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

fritzp

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 02:53:45 pm »
Finally getting back. For some reason, for awhile, the thread didn't allow me to reply.
We decided on the Jacuzzi.  Should be coming in the next few weeks.  Thanks for feedback.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 03:03:04 pm »
Do they build decks in Seattle out of metal or wood?

For me this was an option. When my deck posts rotted out, I replaced them with metal. 4" diameter, 1" thick steel pipes, pounded down to bedrock (no concrete required). Should last quite a bit longer than the last wooden ones. Been told 100 years or so.

Sorry, just couldn't resist  ;D
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 03:03:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42