What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need some guidance  (Read 7889 times)

Bulldogsrule

Need some guidance
« on: April 09, 2011, 05:11:06 pm »
All – First off thank you in advance, I’ve been reading through the archieves for a couple of weeks. When I first came in I was planning on going the online deal route, because my primary driver is value. That being said quality is a core part of value and it seems the online places could easily leave one with a bad product and on one to service.

That being said I’m looking in the 5k-7k market and have been viewing both new and used models. The dealers locally have Viking, pdc, marquis, coleman and a few others. Right now my options are as follows. I’d really appreciate any thoughts on price point / value.

Marquis Everyday 650 – quoted at       7k (seems a little high and only has 2 year warrenty)
Sundance Optima 880 (used) 5 years old    6k (top of the line with all options except TV)
Jacuzzi J480 (used) 5 years old          4.5k (I have not seen this one, but reviews are positive)
Limelight Flare Hotsprings (used) 2 years old –    4k (Also seems a little high when new is only couple grand more)

I really want to make sure I get a good tub that won’t need 1k in maintenance every year. Would rather pay a little more up front. But really want to stay under 7k..

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Need some guidance
« on: April 09, 2011, 05:11:06 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Need some guidance
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 06:02:17 pm »
 Out of all those you listed the J-480 at 4500.00 would be a great deal.  Is it from a private owner or dealer?   I also agree with the you on the limelight price wise.    The Optima would be better at 4500.00 like the J-480 as well.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 11:33:39 pm »
For that kind of money, I would not buy used.  Buy new and get warranty.  Part of the value equation.  Peace of mind.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Bulldogsrule

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 11:57:05 pm »
So is there a price for any of those that would make it really worth the deal? The prices I posted for used ones are the asking price. I'm sure I can negotiate.

Also is there a specfic model that may make sense new? I did find a Hot Springs dealer 45 minutes away and I'm making an appointment to visit. There's also a Jacuzzi dealer but from what I've read I think they will be nout of my proce range.

Bulldogsrule

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 10:26:38 pm »
Couple more questions :)

1) A local dealer that I visited today (and was nice, very comfortable with) mentioned (and I dug a little more) that he would not recommend Marquis Spa's because they use to be a dealer and stopped selling them due to all the maintenance issues that were happening. He said when they moved their manufacturing from the east coast or Oregon and dropped the pacific from their name it went downhill. Normally I would think it was just posturing, but he went on to recommend hot springs, Caldera, Maax and a couple other dealers that were close buy with competitors products. He sold Sundance and seemed very knowledgeable. Marquis was high on my list, has something changed?

2) An Artesian Dealer offered a floor model Antigua fully loaded except no stereo delivered with cover lifter and steps for 8100. Is that a good price?

Thanks

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 11:19:41 am »
Sundance Optima 880 (used) 5 years old    6k (top of the line with all options except TV)
Jacuzzi J480 (used) 5 years old          4.5k (I have not seen this one, but reviews are positive)
Limelight Flare Hotsprings (used) 2 years old –    4k (Also seems a little high when new is only couple grand more)

As far as used tubs go, CONDITION IS KING but as a general rule this is what I like to by: after 1 year subtract 40% of the original price, 10% for the second year and about 5% for every year therafter but the reality is that age takes a back seat to condition as the spa ages. This of course is assuming these deals are from owners. You'd pay more from a dealer but you'll also typically get a 90 day warranty and a better level of confidence that they've checked it out.

Having said that, I'd look for the 5 year old spas to sell for about 35% of their original price and the 2 year old spa about 50%. Not knowing exact prices, I'd say the Optima is very high and the other two are a little high but don't forget that these should be considered highly negotiable.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 01:23:40 pm »
 Never did answer if these are from a dealer or private seller??   To the op, If you like the Marquis you would be fine with it, I don't know of any changes they have gone through from a quality standpoint.   

A loaded Antiqua at 8100.00 seems high to me. 

Bulldogsrule

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 02:22:25 pm »
So these are all private sellers, there's only 1 dealer around here that seems to sell used. Now I will admit there seems to be a rather large private used market (I'm outside of DC), but there seems to be a ton of brands that wouldn't be ranked as quality. I have no desire to throw away 2k...

I am visiting a Jacuzzi dealer later this week / weekend. I had a chat with the dealer who said the J-345 is priced at 8k, delivered no options... Now I'm sure this is just starting since I have not set foot in the place and she has no clue if I'm serious or not.

The other option was an '09 HS Sovereign (new) for 8,500 delivered...

Wonder if the prices are higher because I'm on the east coast? I did stop by a dealer with a D1 sign out front, but all they had were PDC. The PDC's were cheap, but haven't seen much on that brand.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 03:01:44 pm »
So these are all private sellers, there's only 1 dealer around here that seems to sell used. Now I will admit there seems to be a rather large private used market (I'm outside of DC), but there seems to be a ton of brands that wouldn't be ranked as quality. I have no desire to throw away 2k...

I am visiting a Jacuzzi dealer later this week / weekend. I had a chat with the dealer who said the J-345 is priced at 8k, delivered no options... Now I'm sure this is just starting since I have not set foot in the place and she has no clue if I'm serious or not.

The other option was an '09 HS Sovereign (new) for 8,500 delivered...

Wonder if the prices are higher because I'm on the east coast? I did stop by a dealer with a D1 sign out front, but all they had were PDC. The PDC's were cheap, but haven't seen much on that brand.

Prices do vary by region. Cost of doing business is certainly a factor and leasing store front space in the DC area can't be cheap. Jacuzzi and Hot Spring are two of the best options available. Its hard to say how much room they've left for negotiating, all dealers do it different. Some price them where they need to sell them at a fair price and leave a small amount of wiggle room (there is always some) while others play the game of setting it high and testing your negotiating skills. Be direct yet polite and let them know you have other options and work in the total package rather than talk about add ons after (lifter, steps, extra chems...). I'd expect you can improve the initial prices some.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

ajpslp

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 08:53:28 am »
I just recieved my JAcuzzi J375 spa (got it 2 weeks ago) and all i can say is ahhhhhh. Awesome jets and relaxing .. The dealers one in jersey and one in long island, ny had very different prices. Started at around $12,500 for tub delivery setup , no radio just tub..  one place went to $11,500 and the other dealer went to $10,000 flat with delivery etc.  They threw in the ozonator, chemical start up - stairs , lifter and covermate III cover ... so there is some wiggle room with a $10-12k purchase..

Bulldogsrule

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 11:44:36 pm »
Thats awesome to hear... I am impatiently trying to do 'due diligance' in the selection process. Start the Wet tests Saturday \ Sunday. Hot Springs, Sundance, Artisian, Jacuzzi and Marquis are on the list. The Caldera \ Maax dealer I was not a fan of so crossing them off the list (plus they only had 1 tub to wet test). No D1 nearby. The only other dealer is Viking and I haven't seen anything on them...

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 12:14:15 pm »
some of those prices for the used seem high,,, but as you are looking at the new spas, you have a good list of them to look at,, On the MArquis the comment that they used to be the dealer and had lots of maintenance issues is hard to believe,,, they are a good company i sold them for another dealer for many years,,,i do not agree with that,,,,whats funny is they use alot of the same compenants on the spas listed if they were having problems others would be also.But the Viking will not be in the same category as the rest of this list, But as your looking part of the basis of your purchase, comfort, dealer, service after the sale,,, are very important....
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

Bulldogsrule

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 09:49:49 pm »
Hey all, just saw this on tv... http://www.MegaSpaSale.com/index.php. Is it safe to assume this is all bad quality? No mention of any brands...

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 08:12:20 am »
Hey all, just saw this on tv... http://www.MegaSpaSale.com/index.php. Is it safe to assume this is all bad quality? No mention of any brands...

Master Spa's....garbage!
Retired

Water Boy

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 10:54:11 am »
This is not Master. Just a slim shady copy cat. Hawkeye Spas and Barefoot spas out of VA. Same traveling scam though. They came to our area last year, and I thought it was Master until I went. Their commercials are a little cheesier than Master. They use all the same slimey tactics as Master does though. To the OP, I would stay as far away as you can from that!
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 10:54:11 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42