What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Calspa ozone obsolete?  (Read 10201 times)

smokeandsoak

Calspa ozone obsolete?
« on: February 25, 2011, 01:03:48 am »
My spa came with ozone and the the owners manual references replacing an ozone generator cartridge regular as part of maintenance.  When I went to the dealer to get these ozone cartridges, they said it was "obsolete" and I needed a whole new ozone system which would cost something to the tune of $130.00.  Then he said some cartridges were failing was the reason even though Ive never had a problem with one.  So I went and did a google search and found these cartridges new for sale on EBAY for $48.  Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?  Are there any Calspa dealers on here?

Hot Tub Forum

Calspa ozone obsolete?
« on: February 25, 2011, 01:03:48 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Calspa ozone obsolete?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 06:57:28 am »
On the bright side, that $130 doesn't sound too bad, was that installed?  But on the other hand, my ozone probably quit working 5 years ago, and I haven't worried about it.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

castletonia

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 12:58:56 pm »
As far as I can tell, your dealer is correct.  I tried to order a replacement Cal Quest 2000 ozone for a customer about 2 months ago.  The part number was no longer valid and the replacement part number got me a balboa ozone instead.  Not sure about the defect statement.

$48 is about right for the cartridge but you need to make sure that the ozone is still working and its not just the cartridge that is bad.  Cal's part number for the replacement cartridge is still a valid part number but if I try to order one it says backordered which tells me they still have cartridges.

smokeandsoak

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 09:25:54 pm »
On the bright side, that $130 doesn't sound too bad, was that installed?  But on the other hand, my ozone probably quit working 5 years ago, and I haven't worried about it.

The $130 was just for the parts so I would have to do the work myself.  I am mechanically inclined, but who knows what modifications are required?  I asked the dealer and he had no advice on that, so I take that to mean they have not replaced one.

On the other hand the cartridge looks and sounds very easy to replace.  I am not sure if the ozone is working or not, but the owners manual said to replace this cartridge and I havent in three year plus of use so I thought it should be done.  Guy who delivered and started up the spa for me said to do it every 2-3 years.  Is it not important?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 09:28:34 pm by smokeandsoak »

castletonia

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 10:11:13 pm »
Corona Discharge (cd) ozones typically need to be replaced every few years.  With the Cal Quest 2000 ozone, the chip is easy to replace.  Installing a different ozone is not that difficult except you would probably have to mount it somewhere else as it wouldn't use the same brackets.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 10:11:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42