What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help me decide between HotSpot Relay/Tempo and Bullfrog 362  (Read 8511 times)

msulinski

Help me decide between HotSpot Relay/Tempo and Bullfrog 362
« on: January 16, 2011, 08:51:06 am »
My wife and I are looking to buy our first hot tub.  We have narrowed it down to the Bullfrog 362 or the Hotsprings HotSpot Relay or possibly the Tempo (or the Caldera Palantino or Marino, which seem to be identical to the HotSpots).

We were quoted the following from local dealers:
Relay: $5700
Marino: $5500 (is this tub exactly the same as the Relay?)
Palantino: $6500 (is this tub exactly the same as the Tempo?)
Bullfrog 362: $6800

I have the option to buy a floor model of the Bullfrog, which would save me $300 (does not seem to be much of a discount).

My wife and I like the Bullfrog for the configurability, but for $1000 less, I can get a larger tub (based on gallons, not physical dimensions) in the Relay/Marino.  I doubt I will move the Bullfrog jetpacks around much, but I will have the flexibility to set them up almost any way I want.

We are also considering the Tempo because the lounge seet looks like it has a better jet configuration for hitting the lower back than the Relay, but it is tough to tell from the pictures.  The Tempo is also a good bit larger, but I think the Relay is big enough for our purposes.

Thanks for any help.

Hot Tub Forum

Help me decide between HotSpot Relay/Tempo and Bullfrog 362
« on: January 16, 2011, 08:51:06 am »

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
Re: Help me decide between HotSpot Relay/Tempo and Bullfrog 362
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 11:11:36 am »
The MAIN thing about the Bull frog is the ability to change the way the tub feels.  You can have a deep massage with one pack or a targeted massage with another pack.  Of course, you can also move the packs around as well but (to me) the ability to buy a new pack when it comes out is the real driver.  Many people get "bored" with their tubs within less than a year and at least part of that is that the tub NEVER changes.  The Jets never change, etc.  With the Bull Frog, you have the ability to change things up or even to buy completely new packs to give you what you really want down the road.  Some first time buyers don't REALLY know what types of jets feel the best to them.

IMHO, the bullfrog is FAR superior to the lower line Hot Springs products.  Bullfrog did make (and likely still does make) a line they call the "tadpole" which is more aligned (price-wise) with the HotSpot product line.  HotSprings does make good products and as far as a lower-line goes, the HotSpot isn't bad but you do not get a LOT of the things you typically buy a HotSprings Spa for so make certain you check these both out in person rather than using a website or photograph or you may be dissappointed in the final result.

Since I cautioned on the HotSpot, I will also caution on the Bullfrog... You need to ensure that you get PLENTY of pump for the Bullfrog so buy the largest pump options that they offer for that model.  If the one you are considering was a floor model, it should already be well equipped with the larger pumps.  The reason for this is that some jet packs require a LOT of water to be moved through them and if you have two of those on the same pump, you need one designed to handle it.  Bullfrog's website does an excellent job of showing you what HP pumps you need to support which jetpacks in which locations.

I own a Jacuzzi but had talked to Bullfrog and two other vendors about becoming a dealer for them many years back).  My "real" job became too busy and killed all those fantasy's about playing in hot water the rest of my life...LOL
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

msulinski

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 02:16:35 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  The model we are looking at has dual 3.0 HP pumps.  They also make 4.8 HP pumps.  The salesman said that with the dual 3.0 pumps, we should be fine in terms of pressure.

As for the HotSpot, we would definitely do a wet test before purchasing (we already tested the Bullfrog).

Generally, when ordering a tub, can you request different jet configurations (for the HotSpot and Caldera Vacenza lines)?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 05:49:45 pm »
I don't see anything about Bullfrog that would make them necessarily superior as mentioned earlier and while I give them credit for doing something different in an industry with a lot of copying like most who buy them I would not expect you'll be swapping them out later and spare seatbacks are very costly so you won't be trying new ones later on. They do give you the option to initially set the spa up but you have to decide what that’s worth.

There may be some warranty difference, not sure on that but length of warranty is not an indicator of quality and is not free but is included in the pricing so just factor it in as you see fit just a you factor in the price differences.

I think all those options are viable. Caldera and Hot Springs are both made by the same manufacturer and share some models as you noticed so if you save some money to go that route just go with the better dealer if their prices are the same (and if one is higher but you like that dealer better ask him to meet the price on that same spa with just the different name).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 12:44:56 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  The model we are looking at has dual 3.0 HP pumps.  They also make 4.8 HP pumps.  The salesman said that with the dual 3.0 pumps, we should be fine in terms of pressure.

As for the HotSpot, we would definitely do a wet test before purchasing (we already tested the Bullfrog).

Generally, when ordering a tub, can you request different jet configurations (for the HotSpot and Caldera Vacenza lines)?

When you order a typical tub you have NO FLEXIBILITY with regards to the jets.  HotSprings, Jacuzzi, Dimension One, etc all make them ONE WAY only.  There are some no-name or "low-end" manufacturer's who will "custom build" a tub with the jets you specify.  Unfortunately, what that actually means is that the dealer you buy if from orders a blank shell and then they "customize" it in their back room.  This leads to a lack of quality control and typical results in those types of tubs leaking within a year.  The tech who has built them for ten years does a tub right one week but then the owner is trying to teach his nephew how to build a tub the next week and he doesn't use enough adhesive, etc. 

One of the marketing aspects of the Bullfrog is that a wife could come in a buy her husband a jet pack for his birthday.  It does make for an interesting approach with potential follow-on business but the number of customers who ACTUALLY buy packs after the original sale was something like 5% (pretty low to consider as a business driver).  The 3.0 pumps are pretty decent as they are fairly equivalent to what most "name-brand" manufacturer's typically use in their solutions.   You can use the online website to check which jet packs can be used in which seats based on the pumps you have in your model.  If It were me, I would order one 3.0 and one 4.8HP pump and that way one would be able to use a neck-blaster and another high-output pack off the same pump at the same time but there would not be any reason to spend another $1K that a dealer would likely charge to change the pump on a floor model.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 11:04:15 pm »
I loved the packs especially the ones with the neck jets. The problem for me was a few years ago when I bought mine the BullFrogs were to shallow for me. I have a long torso and had troubles getting under the neck jets. If the tub is now deeper I would consider them but I still love my Jacuzzi. Good luck with your decision and always wet test.  ;)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 11:04:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42