What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Spring Indoor/Outdoor Heater Problems - I #@#%^&*! Give Up!  (Read 4458 times)

Comotoes

Hot Spring Indoor/Outdoor Heater Problems - I #@#%^&*! Give Up!
« on: January 06, 2011, 01:17:12 pm »
Oh, yeah - it's a mid-'80's 115V with S/N MIA that I've owned for 10 years without much trouble.

Okay, so the thing stops heating out of the blue and I do the usual troubleshooting. I think I found the pump not flowing well so took it apart to find a little crud (and, now, ice) but all was otherwise well.  Reassembled and tested only to find cold water flowing out the port to the tub. Was making the amature mistake of testing for power to the pump and heater by placing my Wiggy across the leads to the ground spade and popping the GFI but eventually got it straight - 115 to both. 

Got the heater apart, cleaned out some crud but otherwise it looks good and resists at about 8 ohms.  Plug it in and it gets hot to the touch.  Aaagggh!  Now what?  What am I missing?  Possible bad overtemp kick-out?  Naaaaah ... don't hear a relay and the reset was never tripped. 

Just thinking in print at this poing so I'll shut up. SOS!!!

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Spring Indoor/Outdoor Heater Problems - I #@#%^&*! Give Up!
« on: January 06, 2011, 01:17:12 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Hot Spring Indoor/Outdoor Heater Problems - I #@#%^&*! Give Up!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 07:07:54 pm »
 This really makes no sense at all to me  ???

RobertB

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 06:25:28 pm »
Your 115v heater does not make cold water "HOT" or even warm. It makes cold water a little less cold. So if you fill your tub with cold water, it will take many cycles past the heater before the water feels warm. So for a while at least the water coming out of the port will still feel pretty cold.

It sounds like your heating element is working(based on your readings). 115v heaters take a long time to heat the water. It appears you may not have given it enough time to heat the water.

Good Luck
RobertB

Comotoes

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 11:10:28 am »
Well, when it was heating, you could put your hand over the port (underwater) and feel hotter water coming from the heater when it is on.  That's the wife's favorite spot to warm up in cold weather.

Here's a question - I'm told that the heater element should have more than 8 ohms resistance but now I measured that of a new one to be just 10 ohms and have my doubts that is significant.  Comments?

Still going to pull the panel and take a look-see at relay contacts, etc.

Comotoes

Re: Hot Spring Indoor/Outdoor Heater Problems - RESOLVED!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 01:16:43 pm »
Heater relay completely toasted - see photo.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 02:13:07 pm »
Heater relay completely toasted - see photo.

Welcome to the forum by the way.  My degree in electronics is 30 years old, but if your going to replace the relay, I would go ahead and replace the element anyway   I've never measured one of those, but 10 ohms to 8 ohms is a 20% change and more current through that relay.  I would also think however a heating element ages, I doubt it gets more efficient.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 02:13:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42