What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Wiring  (Read 6935 times)

bikz

Wiring
« on: October 27, 2010, 10:58:54 am »
Does anyone have a link where a guy can buy #6 thwn wire by the foot(at a reasonable price). Both of my Big Box stores sell #6 by the foot, but don't have all colors. I've searched the net and to date have found one site that sells by the foot, but they're pricing it like it's gold....not copper. Edit: I need 125' of each color.

If reasonably possible I will stay within code by running the correct color wiring, but I refuse to buy 4 each 500' spools. When one spool with color coding tape on each end(non code compliant)will do the job.

bl/or/gr/br/sl/vi - a color code of days gone bye.
bikz

« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 07:59:17 am by bikz »
There are three kinds of men. Those who learn by reading. Those who learn by observation. And, those who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Hot Tub Forum

Wiring
« on: October 27, 2010, 10:58:54 am »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Wiring
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 11:14:20 am »
You only need three colors...White, Green and Black (or Red).
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

bikz

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 11:22:35 am »
You only need three colors...White, Green and Black (or Red).

Thanks, but. Per my "city code" both hots must be of a different color. Black/Blue Black/Red etc..

There are three kinds of men. Those who learn by reading. Those who learn by observation. And, those who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 03:09:21 pm »
Can you simply wrap colored tape around the ends of the wires (generally acceptable)?

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

abarts

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 10:45:44 pm »
last week I bought #6- 3wire with ground in a 125ft coil for $208.00 at Home Depot (romex ran in the attic).

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 12:07:49 am »
Romex typically has a ground wire that's one size smaller, a code violation, and is uninsulated, also a code violation.

bikz

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 07:47:42 am »
last week I bought #6- 3wire with ground in a 125ft coil for $208.00 at Home Depot (romex ran in the attic).

I failed to mention I'm in need of thwn wire.  Wish I could use romex. Thanks for the info.

Will Rogers

bikz

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 08:15:42 am »
Can you simply wrap colored tape around the ends of the wires (generally acceptable)?

NEC's position?... anything smaller than #4ga CANNOT be remarked. There are exceptions for multiwire cables, but not for THHN/THWN.

And when it comes to residential use it's a rule that's set in stone.

Researching it(taping) may be acceptable in some non residential uses, but even that's on a case by case basis.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 08:22:05 am by bikz »

Will Rogers

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 11:33:18 am »
You got a code number, and year of NEC on this?

bikz

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 12:20:02 pm »
You got a code number, and year of NEC on this?

"You got a code number, and year of NEC on this?"
Doc, I do not.

I'm parroting my local inspector.

Will Rogers

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 12:30:19 pm »
I hate to be the one to inform you, but inspectors, are not always right (not that this is necessarily the case here). I would ask for the NEC code number (AND year*) and look it up yourself.

* Reason for the year is that municipalities are frequently behind the current NEC. One city I know of is currently using NEC codes that are 15 years old.

as an FYI, most building inspectors are ex contractors that went out of business.

bikz

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 05:11:54 pm »
Does anyone have a link where a guy can buy #6 thwn wire by the foot(at a reasonable price). Both of my Big Box stores sell #6 by the foot, but don't have all colors. I've searched the net and to date have found one site that sells by the foot, but they're pricing it like it's gold....not copper. Edit: I need 125' of each color.

If reasonably possible I will stay within code by running the correct color wiring, but I refuse to buy 4 each 500' spools. When one spool with color coding tape on each end(non code compliant)will do the job.

bl/or/gr/br/sl/vi - a color code of days gone bye.
bikz

This part of the project is done. Pulled new: 4ea #6 thwn red/blk/wh/grn.
The fun part was pulling the old (illegal - but unused) cable. It was NM-B #6 x 125' with 3 sweeps in 3/4" schedule forty. Knew it was a long shot but, decided to put the odds in my favor. Using a lantern funnel, poured equal amounts of wesson oil in both ends of the conduit(one quart) followed by hot water until the conduit was full(left it overnight). Worked Great. After pulling the NM cable, back flushed the conduit with 'water pressure' then added simple green to break down the remaining oil and wa la. Done. Used cable pull lube on the NEW thwn and it pulled just fine. Lucky!!?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 08:32:20 am by bikz »

Will Rogers

Vanguard

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 08:31:59 pm »
For us non-techies, what is thwn wire?
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

BNMac

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 08:56:39 pm »
THHN is rated for dry locations, THWN is rated for wet locations.

Doing a quick search on the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy renders thus:

http://www.southwire.com/products/THHNTHWNTWN75T90OEM.htm
THHN/THWN/TWN75/T90

* 600 Volts
    * Copper Conductor
    * Thermoplastic Insulation/Nylon Sheath Heat, Moisture, Gasoline, and Oil Resistant1
    * Sizes 8 AWG and Larger Rated THWN-2 All Stranded Sizes Rated MTW and THWN
    * Sizes 14 Through 6 AWG Rated AWM (105°C) Sizes 14 Through 1 AWG Rated VW-1
    * Size 1/0 AWG and Larger Listed for CT Use Black Size 2 AWG and Larger Listed Sunlight-Resistant

Applications
Southwire Type THHN or THWN-2* conductors are primarily used in conduit and cable trays for services, feeders, and branch circuits in commercial or industrial applications as specified in the National Electrical Code. When used as Type THHN, conductor is suitable for use in dry locations at temperatures not to exceed 90°C. When used as Type THWN-2*, conductor is suitable for use in wet or dry locations at temperatures not to exceed 90°C or not to exceed 75°C when exposed to oil or coolant. # When used as Type MTW, conductor is suitable for use in wet locations or when exposed to oil or coolant at temperatures not to exceed 60°C or dry locations at temperatures not to exceed 90°C (with ampacity limited to that for 75°C conductor temperature per NFPA 79). Conductor temperatures not to exceed 105°C in dry locations when rated AWM and used as appliance wiring material. Voltage for all applications is 600 volts.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 08:56:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42