What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: alternative to chlorine and bromine please help?  (Read 2761 times)

fitcrazy

alternative to chlorine and bromine please help?
« on: October 24, 2010, 05:10:13 pm »
Hi guys, we have had our hot tub for the last month, love it! Having read up on dangers of using chlorine and bromine im keen to change to something else. Can anyone suggest an alternative so we dont have to use chemicals? maybe someone already has this and can give me some more info and tell me where we can purchase one (hoping its not too expensive??)
Many thanks for your help. Be interesting to see how many of you if any use an alternative to chlorine or bromine.

Hot Tub Forum

alternative to chlorine and bromine please help?
« on: October 24, 2010, 05:10:13 pm »

chem geek

Re: alternative to chlorine and bromine please help?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 01:19:12 am »
If you want to use an EPA-approved disinfectant that is not halogen-based (i.e. not chlorine or bromine), then there are two choices: Nature2 with MPS (and occasional Dichlor) or Baquacil/biguanide/PHMB.  Nothing else (other than chlorine or bromine) will kill bacteria quickly enough to pass EPA DIS/TSS-12 which is what is required to be called a disinfectant for pools or spas and to make claims of killing bacteria.

Metal ions alone do not kill quickly and copper ions at pool/spa concentrations do not even control bacterial growth for the fecal bacteria Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus aureus and Enterococcus faecium (and probably Enterococcus faecalis as well).  These bacteria live in the G.I. tract and have resistance to low levels of copper ions since blood serum normally has 0.8 to 1.1 ppm copper ions (details about metal ion systems are in this post).  Enzyme products may help break up biofilms, but it is not clear how quickly they kill bacteria and whether they kill faster than bacteria can reproduce.

In practice, the risk of illness is low in residential pools and spas because, unlike commercial/public pools and spas, you don't have the situation where one person can infect dozens if not hundreds or more (in pools).  Nevertheless, don't fool yourself into thinking that these alternative systems are as sanitary as using an EPA-approved disinfectant.  It's a spectrum of risk, but the risk with the EPA-approved disinfectants is far lower.

Richard
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 01:22:21 am by chem geek »

Hot Tub Forum

Re: alternative to chlorine and bromine please help?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 01:19:12 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42