What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Marqui Bromine only?  (Read 3899 times)

abarts

Marqui Bromine only?
« on: October 11, 2010, 08:59:48 pm »
Visited a Marquis dealer today. They said that Marquis are Bromine only, that if I used Clorine it would void the Warranty, said the chlorine is hard on the glue joints. This is the first I have heard of this. The salesman didn,t seem real up on his tubs. Is this a good tub and bad dealer or bad tub bad dealer? Also thoughts on  Coast Spas? First look today. The dealer seems to really know his product and was very helpful answereng questions. Will wet test soon.

Hot Tub Forum

Marqui Bromine only?
« on: October 11, 2010, 08:59:48 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Marqui Bromine only?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 09:50:59 pm »
I can only speak about my tub..I have an Epic and Marquis has always been wonderful. I bought my tub in '05 and three years later the shell started to have fine hair line cracks called crazing..they replaced the tub with no questions asked and since the model had been upgraded, I got an upgraded tub as a replacement. So I will say that in my experience, Marquis has been excellent.

I use bromine in the spa Frog, but I can not imagine that you would void a warranty using chlorine ...I have a feeling your sales guy was either so new that he doesn't know anything about spa chemistry or he was trying to sell you on the Bromine Frog idea and got things really messed up. The Spa Frog is wonderful if you aren't going to be using your tub every day. Actually, I cleaned my water over a month ago and opened the tub for the first time yesterday to test the water and turn the temp up and it was crystal clear..and running in economy mode.  Maybe go back to that dealer when another sales person is there and see if you get the same story..

Support your dealer so they can support you!

abarts

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 10:08:42 pm »
did yours have the in-line sanitation system using mineral and bromine?

Uzona

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 02:22:24 am »
Ask to see the warranty and have them point out the verbiage that states the use of Chlorine would void the warranty.   I also believe the sales person was wanting to sell you on the benefits spa of the system.

I have a Marquis that uses the inline mineral and bromine system.  I don't recall such verbiage in my warranty, but maybe they've changed the warranty in the past few years.  In any event, I've used mineral cartridges, and left the out the bromine cartridges in favor of powdered chlorine with no ill effects.  I just added the Chlorine into the body of the tub when the jets are on.

Perhaps he was confused because you can't mix Chlorine and Bromine at the same time.  If you want to switch from Bromine to Chlorine you have to drain the tub and start with fresh water. 

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 12:46:47 pm »
Visited a Marquis dealer today. They said that Marquis are Bromine only, that if I used Clorine it would void the Warranty, said the chlorine is hard on the glue joints. This is the first I have heard of this. The salesman didn,t seem real up on his tubs. Is this a good tub and bad dealer or bad tub bad dealer? Also thoughts on  Coast Spas? First look today. The dealer seems to really know his product and was very helpful answereng questions. Will wet test soon.

Really? Usually bromine "pucks" contain about 28% chlorine. What you should not use are pool chlorine pucks but using spa chlroine ganules is fine and it makes me scratch my head a bit that this dealer would say this type of thing but I guess you could call Marquis to get some real feedback.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 08:47:52 pm »
That is not going to void the warranty, i think you may want to shop around and see what other dealers do and how they talk about the spas, were are you located ? Marquis is a good brand,. if you use chlorine just don't use the spa frog, but i would check with others top brands in your area to see if the salesman know what they are talking about and how they educate you. I would like at D1, Hot Springs, Sundance, Jacuzzi, to name a few, Coast i think is adecent brand there is a delaer in our town that just started to sell them in the last 4 months, so they do not have a long enough track record, the same dealer has sold 5 different brands in the last 2 years. they are fancy, not sure i like the spa with the negative edge, ....but the Marquis salesman either does not know his product he is selling or he is using the spa frog as a crutch to sell against another brand that does not use the frog, but can get the frog as a floater, We sell spas all the time , We push Chlorine, i have never heard of a glue joint failing from chlorine, our local Marquis guy uses that line all the time,,,unfortunately it is just a salesman and not also an educator for spas......hope this helps......
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 09:05:25 pm »
And now that I think about it..my dealer used chlorine in his Marquis tubs on the sales floor. I am thinking that the sales person was seriously confused about the chemicals. So if you didn't ask here, you might have believed him.  :-\
Support your dealer so they can support you!

abarts

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 10:39:59 am »
thanks for all the info. I am in Albuquerque NM. He is the only Marqui dealer and I feel like I was talking to someone who did not really know his product. A real shame. Also he had only 4 tubs on the floor, one was wet and when I asked if he would let me wet test a specific model his response was it was too difficult to shuffle tubs around. Sad.

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 08:53:50 pm »
Thats to bad to hear they will not shuffle the spas. we shuffle all the time, we shuffled 3 spas this week to move them to fill them for the customer to wetest the one he wants. It also sounds like he could care less to earn your business. Unfortunately i would have to look else were....good luck
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 12:06:51 am »

Simply sounds like an uneducated Spa sales guy.  While it IS true that the use of the type of Chlorine intended for pools cannot be used in ANY spa (tri instead of di-chlorine), using the spa type should not pose any type of problem and I would be willing to be a shilling that they will not be able to find any such statement in the warranty book.

As to the content of chlorine in bromine, that is true.  ALL bromine has the di-Chlorine as it's base.  The reason you can not go from Bromine to Chlorine is due to the fact that if there is ANY bromine left in the spa water, it will react with the pure di-chlorine you put in the tubs converting it quickly to bromine.  The converse is also true.  If you have a pure di-chlorine tub and put bromine into it...you will have just converted your di-chlor only tub into a Bromine-only tub until you drain it the next time.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 12:06:51 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42