What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Purchased used Hot Springs-need help  (Read 1896 times)

dandee

Purchased used Hot Springs-need help
« on: August 10, 2010, 07:48:02 am »
Great info here but have a couple questions.  We were on the tub hunt.  Had wet tested Marquis, Everyday, Sundance, Ecco and Jacuzzi.  We ran across a 2001 Hot Springs Sovereign in very good condition.  We wet tested it and purchased it.  Have it moved to our patio and awaiting electric on Thursday.  It doesn't have all the lights and sirens we have seen in others but should be a good way to enter the wet world.  I have decided to start out using the Vermonter method.  This model has a clean cycle that I understand I will use it for daily dichlor.  My question is about the weekly shock.  When I do the shock how long do I let the tub run?  Will I use the clean cycle or should I turn on the jets and let it run longer?  How long after the the shock will it be before we can enter the tub?  Also, seller gave me a total of 7 filters.  3 have very wide pleats and 4 have very close pleats.  I'm not sure which are really for this tub or if they are both fine to use.  Lastly it came with some test strips, are these ok to use or do I really need a test kit?   Any info about this or anything else to get a rookie in the water would be greatly appreciated. Dan

Hot Tub Forum

Purchased used Hot Springs-need help
« on: August 10, 2010, 07:48:02 am »

BNMac

Re: Purchased used Hot Springs-need help
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 12:57:34 pm »
Regarding shock:  I use non-chlorine as I'm using Bromine.  However, following the directions which are probably similar to chlorine shock:
o With jets running on high with full air intake, add shock in the amount per instructions.  (non-chlor shock is 2 oz, or 1/4 cup)
o Run jets at least 15 minutes.  NO ONE in the spa during this time!
o Leave cover open for 2 hours to allow the shock to gas off.

The shock uses oxygen in the water to burn off the dead components after your sanitizer (chlorine/bromine/O3) has killed the little buggars.  This is the reason the jets need to be running with as much air induction as possible.  Filters can only filter so much of it out where the shock actually removes it.

We find that if the water has any greenish color and cloudiness, doing frequent shocks helps to clear it up.  We shock once a week at a minimum anyway, and once the water has been around a while (this is a closed system, after all), shocking more frequently helps clear things up. 

We also have the dark blue liquid titled "Spa Klear" but it seems all it does is add more junk to the water. 
Experts here on the board will, no doubt, suggest the proper application of Spa Klear where as a rank noob... ('nuf said)  B^)

BNMac.

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Purchased used Hot Springs-need help
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 12:57:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42