What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Rookie Spa Shopper - Sundance Hartford vs Dimension 1 Sojourn  (Read 10383 times)

SpaQuandry

I am so frustrated by this wheeling and dealing and stories about what are the best features --  need some expert advice for my peace of mind!

1)  Plastic vs. acrylic --  the feel of the plastic seems better than the slick acrylic.  Is the up-keep and quality really that much better with plastic or am I getting sold the cheaper product?

2)  The Sundance pumps have higher HP, but we've been told that it's the GPM that really matter and that the Sojourn spa can run all the jets at one time better than other spas

3)  We are looking at the fresh water system - no bromine required.  We like the idea of no chemicals, but is there a catch to this thinking?  Are we getting into a really expensive filter replacement vs. chemicals?

4)  Price?  Yikes!  What is a good price.  Every spa dealer has the deal for summer, soon to expire without a $500 deposit.  What exactly is a good sale price, since we've figured out that no one offers the tubs at retail.  I feel like we are used car shopping with no Kelly Blue Book to help us out !  We want the lights, the stainless jets, the deluxe cover -- what out the door price before tax should we be looking at?

5)  The Sundance Hartford and Dimension 1 Sojourn seem equal in value --  is this an accurate assessment?

Thanks !!

Hot Tub Forum

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Rookie Spa Shopper - Sundance Hartford vs Dimension 1 Sojourn
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 04:20:04 pm »
I am so frustrated by this wheeling and dealing and stories about what are the best features --  need some expert advice for my peace of mind!

1)  Plastic vs. acrylic --  the feel of the plastic seems better than the slick acrylic.  Is the up-keep and quality really that much better with plastic or am I getting sold the cheaper product?

Go with whichever of these two you like better if either stands out aesthetically, there is no issue here.

2)  The Sundance pumps have higher HP, but we've been told that it's the GPM that really matter and that the Sojourn spa can run all the jets at one time better than other spas

Ignore pump horsepower (youcan't fully trust the numbers you're being given anyway) and go with which feels better.

3)  We are looking at the fresh water system - no bromine required.  We like the idea of no chemicals, but is there a catch to this thinking?  Are we getting into a really expensive filter replacement vs. chemicals?

You can run the whatever sanitizing system you want on either one, they are equal.

4)  Price?  Yikes!  What is a good price.  Every spa dealer has the deal for summer, soon to expire without a $500 deposit.  What exactly is a good sale price, since we've figured out that no one offers the tubs at retail.  I feel like we are used car shopping with no Kelly Blue Book to help us out !  We want the lights, the stainless jets, the deluxe cover -- what out the door price before tax should we be looking at?

Can't help you here but keep in mind that whatever price they give you, consider it to be negotiable.

5)  The Sundance Hartford and Dimension 1 Sojourn seem equal in value --  is this an accurate assessment?

They are pertty much on par, go with whichever you truly want more.
Thanks !!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 04:41:02 pm »
Acrylic spas are the most popular type of hot tubs on the market. The acrylic spas are generally more expensive and more difficult to install. They are considered to be portable but are fairly diffcult to move and require a firm surface such as a concrete pad. The main draw back to owning acrylic tubs are the tendency for their surface to crack over time after prolonged exposure to sunlight, their high electricity cost and their over all high price. But it still remains that the acrylic tubs are the best all-around choice for most familieswith over 100 manufactures and countless options and add-ons.
Please feel free to join our facebook fan page where I would be happy to finish answering all of your questions and help you out with your decision making
facebook.premiumhottubs.ca
Vernon Premium Hot Tubs

??? I don't know why but I get the feeling I'm in a infomercial.  ???   :o

Why would you try to redirect someone looking for advise away from this board to your facebook page? Why not just answer the questions here where they were asked?  ??? Very strange.   ::)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 04:48:41 pm by soak-king »
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 05:54:04 pm »
Acrylic spas are the most popular type of hot tubs on the market. The acrylic spas are generally more expensive and more difficult to install. They are considered to be portable but are fairly diffcult to move and require a firm surface such as a concrete pad. The main draw back to owning acrylic tubs are the tendency for their surface to crack over time after prolonged exposure to sunlight, their high electricity cost and their over all high price. But it still remains that the acrylic tubs are the best all-around choice for most families with over 100 manufactures and countless options and add-ons.
Please feel free to join our facebook fan page where I would be happy to finish answering all of your questions and help you out with your decision making
facebook.premiumhottubs.ca
Vernon Premium Hot Tubs

more difficult to install More difficult than what? a warp drive?

are fairly diffcult to move Not if you take the water out first.

tendency for their surface to crack over time after prolonged exposure to sunlight, their high electricity cost and their over all high price 1. Prolonged exposure to sunlight? Put your cover on! 2. Higher electrical cost? Show me the data you have on this. PLEASE. 3. Overall high price? compared to what? A piece of crap that will only last a few years?

Again I'll ask why you are trying to get someone looking for advice to leave this board which is frequented by many who have 10, 15 even 20 yrs experience in aspects from sales to service to let you "help" with making a decision.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 06:00:13 pm by soak-king »
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 06:24:13 pm »

more difficult to install More difficult than what? a warp drive?

are fairly diffcult to move Not if you take the water out first.

Actual Scotty quotes that seem appropriate responses to those BS statements:

"I cannot change the laws of physics! I've got to have thirty minutes."

"Don't you worry, captain. We'll beat those Klingon devils move that spa, even if I have to get out and push!"
220, 221, whatever it takes!

SpaQuandry

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 12:09:35 am »
Thanks very much for your help Mr. Tuo !

I bought my last car without stressing this much  :o

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 08:54:26 pm »
both are very good spas. you cannot go wrong either way. when you are looking at both there are a few differences.
1. in the footwell the Hawthorne has 2 foot jets on the side under the filter box that are adjustable., the Sojourn has 8 flat footjets and are adjustable,
2. Hawthorne has 4 corner seats with headrests. the sojourn has a neckflex jet, adjustable in height up and down with adjustable jets. also a seat with higher jets.
3. sojourn has 1 filter 75 sq .ft the Hawthorne has 2 45 sq ft filters.
4. both have waterfalls.
5. both are ozone ready
6. both can add the 24/7 circulation with ozone,
 both have a lot of similarities, both very good quality tubs, yes i am partial to D1 , but  i would go with the comapny you feel very comfortable with,

i am not sure premiumhottubs was going with the acrylic , plastic thing, both brands use the same acrylic, one difference is the 3 layer bonding the sundance uses for rigidity and to bond the fiberglass to the shell, the sojourn uses a poly spray on the  the backing so no delamination, one thing that d1 has is the ultralife shell, it can be left in the sun with no water in it. its lifetime warranty covers splitting ,cracking, waterloss, it is white it will show the led lighting better,especially with the lfx lighting. i Know that the lifetime thing everyone says is 7 years, i was just down at the factory and they were repairing a shell from a 1996 spa,

but again i just tried to give you some facts on both. again go with the one you like....as long as it is the D1 ;D,
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 08:54:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42