What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: jacuzzi or hot springs  (Read 10735 times)

abarts

jacuzzi or hot springs
« on: June 07, 2010, 09:53:22 pm »
I am new to the forum and we are considering purchasing a Hot Springs or Jacuzzi. Have been to both dealers, we like certain features of each. One concern is ball bearing jets in hot spring tubs? (is this true) Also how reliable is the roto massage? Thoughts on one or the other being any easier to maintain chemical balance? Looking at the J-365 and the Vanguard. Heater and motor quality better in one or the other? Ozone system standard in HS option on the J-365. Is the ozone system worth it? Also leaning towards chlorine vs bromine. We are going to wet test when we are closer to purchase time this winter. Any advice would be more than welcome.

Hot Tub Forum

jacuzzi or hot springs
« on: June 07, 2010, 09:53:22 pm »

Bill75

• 2006 Grandee owner
Re: jacuzzi or hot springs
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 10:38:44 pm »
We have had a HS Grandee since 2007.  We use it about three or four nights a week, on average, maybe a little more in the winter.  We have not had any problems with the moto massage units (the Grandee has two of them).  So far we have had to replace an auxiliary control panel, and just last week we had a small fitting replaced in the mechanical compartment (both under warranty).  We use the chlorine system and have had no problems. 

From our experience, the most important thing is the wet test.  Pick a tub from a major manufacturer and find one which is the most comfortable.  You will read a lot of opinions on different tubs, but ultimately the wet test is the real thing that matters.  Good luck and enjoy your tub (once you get it).

Bill

Vanguard

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 12:42:55 am »
As far as quality or ease of chemical balance, you will find both are very good quality and the chemical balance really doesn't have much to do with the spa itself.  It's more the water, user and filtration.  Both have good filtration.  I personally like Hot Spring's filtration better because it filters all the water all the time, but the Jacuzzi will filter just fine.  All the "under the hood" components of both brands will give you good life and have good warranties.  I wouldn't make that much of a concern when choosing between the two.

Ozone makes owning a spa easier.  You will want it.  Using chlorine, ozone and the silver ion cartridge makes for very easy water care.  That is the way to go on either spa.

As far as the ball bearing jets, sounds like the Jacuzzi salesperson mentioned they don't have ball bearings.  There is no issue there.  Hot Spring has been around a long time and I assure you, if there was an issue with ball bearing jets, they wouldn't be using them any longer.  It's just not an issue.  And the Moto Massage is a great jet.  I love the Moto Massage.  Again, no issues with that jet.

Both have good warranties with companies that will stand behind them.

It's good to see that you are planning on wet testing.  That is really a key in deciding between the two brands.  What looks good and sounds good, may not work for you.

Both brands are good choices.  You really can't go wrong with either one.  Good luck in your search and keep coming back if you have questions.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 08:48:56 am »
Welcome to the forum.  As am impartial observer to both brands, I would he happier with either company based on what I know and the local dealers reputations in my area.  Go with what you like best and/or whichever gives you the best deal.   Take your time, enjoy the evaluation period and don't be pressured.  Its a buyers market.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 11:25:23 am »
I am new to the forum and we are considering purchasing a Hot Springs or Jacuzzi. Have been to both dealers, we like certain features of each. One concern is ball bearing jets in hot spring tubs? (is this true) Also how reliable is the roto massage? Thoughts on one or the other being any easier to maintain chemical balance? Looking at the J-365 and the Vanguard. Heater and motor quality better in one or the other? Ozone system standard in HS option on the J-365. Is the ozone system worth it? Also leaning towards chlorine vs bromine. We are going to wet test when we are closer to purchase time this winter. Any advice would be more than welcome.

Glad to see you are wet testing, that may steer you in one way or another. Otherwise, I'm a fan of chlorine over bromine also and definitely a fan of a good CD ozonator so you should have Jacuzzi put that in the quote so its apples to apples. The wet test will tell you how much you like the moto massage, they hold up pretty well but in the end they are a very easy swap out if you have to do so after the warranty. The ball bearing jets are fine, one of the dealers may have told you otherwise but that's a non issue. The heater and motors are comparable, not sure why that was even brought up so ignore whatever you may have been told on that one (hopefully that's not something one of the salesman was trying to use to sway you).

Let the wet test be your guide.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 04:09:29 pm »
I would agree with Spatech and Vanguard here, both brands a very good , i sell a spas with jets with bearings , not an issue....wet test them this will tell you alot about both brands , you cannot go wrong with either one....
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

abarts

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 07:47:03 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. Next step is the wet test. One other thing I did not bring up is the pricing. I get the feeling it is like buying a car, the better the negotiator the better the price. Any tips?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 11:08:23 am »
Thanks for all the advice. Next step is the wet test. One other thing I did not bring up is the pricing. I get the feeling it is like buying a car, the better the negotiator the better the price. Any tips?

It depends on how they prie them. Some dealers price them evenly and fairly for all so everyone pretty much gets teh same deal. Others price them higher and its up to you to negotiate. The only way to know is to decide which you like and make a counter offer on teh entier package, firmly and politely and see how they react.

Waterfun

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 05:57:08 pm »
We bought the Vanguard from Hot Springs 3 years ago and I would never buy another one.  Every year it needs warranty service.  The main panel went out within the first 6 months.  The other panel died a few months later.  The moto-massage is nice but the tubing has blown out twice. Now the water feature valve is leaking. All the coatings for the valves have fallen off or broke.  They are a very cheap and thin plastic coating and are not covered in the warranty. 

Hot Springs Spas allows their warranty service people to charge the customer to cover costs of gas and insurance.  This is stated in your contract.  So the service person may charge you with no limitations.  In Arizona, these service people have to be licensed but Hot Springs hires people who are not licensed nor qualified to service the spas. 

We do not have kids nor  do we host spa parties.  We have taken very good care of the spa but it seems to be falling apart.  The warranty they list is miss-leading and as I am being told, not all repairs are covered.  We can't wait to sell this spa. 

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 07:29:06 pm »
Waterfun,
 its too bad to hear you have had problems with your spa, but that does not make this brand a bad brand, they are considered one of the best brands out there. i do not sell this brand, but it is a great company. most manufacturers have in the warranty that the dealer may charge for warranty calls . its called a trip charge, some dealers do it some do not, but if you look at other industries, like appliance industry. they come out to fix your dishwasher that is under warranty , they charge you a trip charge,, you will see it more and more unfortunately..
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

Vanguard

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 09:53:15 pm »
Waterfun,  It is ashame you have had these problems.  Part of your issue sounds more like the dealer than the company.  Hot Spring doesn't hire anyone to do the service.  That is your dealer doing that.  And, if they are not qualified, then I wonder if some of the issues you've had are related to sloppy technicians.

Check you inbox.  I sent you a PM.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

rrgmrg

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 11:08:39 am »
It seems to me that one potential downside to the Vanguard is that it has 5 filters to clean.  How much hassle is that ?  How often do they need to be replaced ?  Thanks

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 03:48:30 pm »
Cleaning 5 filters will be more work than cleaning 1 but I think the benefits outweigh the little extra labor involved. You could always try to get the dealer to upgrade you to the Tri-X filters that can be cleaned in your dishwasher if you can.  ;)

If this looks familiar its because I had just posted it on another thread that asked the same question.
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 04:39:27 pm »
It seems to me that one potential downside to the Vanguard is that it has 5 filters to clean.  How much hassle is that ?  How often do they need to be replaced ?  Thanks

Getting people to actually perform the act of cleaning their filters is the trick. For years I've told people to clean them monthly knowing 25% may be pretty meticulous about their schedule, 50% will falter a bit but that's usually fine and 25% will neglect it to the point where they clean them when water issues arise. Once you're there and in the actual process of cleaning them the extra filters shouldn't be a big deal and in fact these are 5 pretty average sized filters and compared to most others they're really small. If you look at a similar sized Sundance spa it may have one filter but its probably the equivalent of 2½ of the Hot Spring filters.

If you're seriously taking filter cleaning into account to decide which spa to buy I'm hoping that's not an indication that this will feel like a big chore and you'll tend to let its cleaning schedule slip.

rrgmrg

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 09:57:28 am »
Thanks for the reply.  I am the type that will fall into the meticulous category.  Was concerned that clening 5 filters weekly wasn't too big of a chore.  You point about size is a good one.

Randy

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 09:57:28 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42