What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: My first time paying for it  (Read 5177 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
My first time paying for it
« on: May 14, 2010, 09:59:57 am »
My Dynasty spa is 7 years old last month.  During the 5 year full warranty everything was covered except the usual things.  During that time I had one service call where the circuit breaker would blow when pump #2 came on.  - Turns out it was the controller board, replaced under warranty by the dealer.  Year 3 my dealer went out of business and my pump 2 went out. Dynasty hired a local guy, the pump was free, but I had to pay $125 trip charge.   Year 5, a flow control sensor stuck, it would prevent pump #1 which does my heating and filtration cycles wouldn't turn on.  Called Dynasty, they again hired a local guy, a different one this time, and Dynasty tech support helped me jumper across the switch to allow the heater to run.  They Fedex'd the sensor directly to me and the local guy contacted me, and once the part came in to me, he came 2 days later. It was winter and I turned my tub up to 104 so that it wouldn't get too cold before I could get out there and jumper the sensor.  He finally came, billed Dynasty directly, no charge to me.

Now in year 7 my pump#2 was having bearing issues.  I hired a guy who sold/serviced my sister in laws Dynasty tub. (She bought hers usedwith no knowledge of which one we owned) The guy did the electrical hook up for it and I thought it looked good. I hired this local guy called "The Spa Doctor" which I suppose is an upgrade from a Spa Tech?  ;D

My pump was getting loud but still working so I turned the filtration cycles down as low as  I could and 4 days later he had the pump replaced - $640 out of my pocked for a new wetend/ motor .   

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

My first time paying for it
« on: May 14, 2010, 09:59:57 am »

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
Re: My first time paying for it
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 12:22:51 pm »
Thats i guess is not so bad since it sounds like you have gotten the enjoyment out of the spa for 7 years so far, but that seems like pretty good sercive Dynasty provided for you.unfortunate that your local dealer is gone,,,keep enjoying the spa,,,
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 12:32:04 pm »
but that seems like pretty good sercive Dynasty provided for you.

I wonder if Dynasty knows about the power Bill wields around this spa forum? Maybe that is why he gets good service! ;D :o ;)
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 02:18:22 pm »
I am one of the few techs I know of who takes motors apart. I would have checked out your motor, and if the windings were still good, which sounds quite possible since you said it was still running, I would have simply put in a new pair of bearings. Clean it up a bit, check the capacitor and so forth - ready to go.

Then you have the option of new o-rings and a new shaft seal in your old pump or simply replacing the wet end with new. It usually comes out to be about $50 more to replace with new, although sometimes the pump is one of those real expensive ones and we just go for rebuilding it. A lot of the plastic pumps I run across simply do not seal back up once they have been run for a long time and then opened up. I guess they warp or shrink or something, and it isn't a problem until you separate the halves and try to reassemble them.

If I had been able to get the pump and motor freshened up, you would have been out about $150 or so, and the thing would run for another 7 to 10 years trouble-free.

Just sayin' ...

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 04:18:52 pm »
I know just what your saying Chas, I figured I got 7 years out of the old motor, hopefully I will get close to that out of a new one.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 10:14:10 pm »
Was the double entendre intended? :D
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 10:42:55 am »
Well, I fully agree that it is sometimes worth every penny to have an all-new motor and all-new pump. And hopefully, it will give you trouble-free service until you trade it in for that new HotSpring spa...

:D
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 02:15:00 pm »
Well, I fully agree that it is sometimes worth every penny to have an all-new motor and all-new pump. And hopefully, it will give you trouble-free service until you trade it in for that new HotSpring spa...

:D

Speaking of which, my sister got the call that their new Vanguard is in, I think they are still waiting for the Nature Stone flooring to be finished. That stuff has  a 50 degree lower limit for installation, and while we have been way above that, her house (250miles NE of me) has had a cool spring so far.   I'll go visit it in July.

Tdbo

• 2007 Sundance Hartford 1994 Vita Spa Ambiance
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 07:54:59 pm »
My Dynasty spa is 7 years old last month.  During the 5 year full warranty everything was covered except the usual things.  During that time I had one service call where the circuit breaker would blow when pump #2 came on.  - Turns out it was the controller board, replaced under warranty by the dealer.  Year 3 my dealer went out of business and my pump 2 went out. Dynasty hired a local guy, the pump was free, but I had to pay $125 trip charge.   Year 5, a flow control sensor stuck, it would prevent pump #1 which does my heating and filtration cycles wouldn't turn on.  Called Dynasty, they again hired a local guy, a different one this time, and Dynasty tech support helped me jumper across the switch to allow the heater to run.  They Fedex'd the sensor directly to me and the local guy contacted me, and once the part came in to me, he came 2 days later. It was winter and I turned my tub up to 104 so that it wouldn't get too cold before I could get out there and jumper the sensor.  He finally came, billed Dynasty directly, no charge to me.

Now in year 7 my pump#2 was having bearing issues.  I hired a guy who sold/serviced my sister in laws Dynasty tub. (She bought hers usedwith no knowledge of which one we owned) The guy did the electrical hook up for it and I thought it looked good. I hired this local guy called "The Spa Doctor" which I suppose is an upgrade from a Spa Tech?  ;D

My pump was getting loud but still working so I turned the filtration cycles down as low as  I could and 4 days later he had the pump replaced - $640 out of my pocked for a new wetend/ motor .   

If the "Spa Doctor" you got was Mike from Gahanna, you got a good guy.  He has worked on my tubs for years and has always done excellent work at a fair price.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 11:20:21 am »

If the "Spa Doctor" you got was Mike from Gahanna, you got a good guy.  He has worked on my tubs for years and has always done excellent work at a fair price.

That's exactly who it was.  That you Mike  ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 11:20:21 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42