What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Too many options....help  (Read 13441 times)

neacr1

Re: Too many options....help
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 09:20:28 pm »
Sounds crazy because I started out wanting to spend a lot less but I think we have decided to go with the Grandee provided the wet test is comfortable for us. I'm hoping to get one between 10k and 10500.00. I'm not sure about the chemicals though. It has ozone and I'm going to use the silver but the dealer is giving me a starter kit including Silk Balance. They gave me the name of a local reference who let me come look at his Vanguard and he raved about the tub but didn't have much experience with the companies service dept as he has never had to call them. He told me he uses a jug of Silk Balance every three months and it costs 200.00 per jug and he uses shock also. I would like to not use chlorine or Bromine if possible as I would like to avoid the harsher chemicals but have never maintained water before. I could really use an education here as $600.00 a year just for the Silk Balance seems excessive. I think the salt system is available on this model but not sure if that does the trick either. Also, people have mentioned scale and lime chemicals as well as a cleaner used to clean the tubing and pumps before draining. Oh yeah, I gotta control PH too. Seems like caring for the water is more confusing than finding the right tub. I have a friend with a big in-ground pool and what he does doesn't seem that complicated. I'm hoping that there is a simple solution that works with all tubs and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Thanks again for all the help and great advice!!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 09:20:28 pm »

Vanguard

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 09:44:04 pm »
Personally, I prefer just using the Dichlor, ozone and silver method.  You get very little chlorine smell and the water feels perfectly fine.  I've never used Silk Balance, so I can't really speak to it, but at $800/yr, ugh.  I think I'll stick with my simple method.  It has yet to let me down and nobody ever feels like they've been in a chemical bath.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

neacr1

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 07:26:16 am »
Thanks Vanguard,
Can you estimate the cost of that and do you know the difference between the chlorine/bromine and Baquaspa? This company throws in a bottle of Silk balance with the deal so my thought is they can keep it and sweeten the deal by $200 more.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 11:05:00 am »
Thanks Vanguard,
Can you estimate the cost of that and do you know the difference between the chlorine/bromine and Baquaspa? This company throws in a bottle of Silk balance with the deal so my thought is they can keep it and sweeten the deal by $200 more.

Chlorine will probably cost you about $100 or so a year (total guess, I never really added it up). The nice thing about chlorine the way I use it is I always add it AFTER I use the spa; it then sanitizes but dissipates quickly so the next time I go in it has a low chlorine level and I therefore never sit in heavy chlorine, more like the level you'd find in bath water.

I've heard some people say good things about Silk Balance but I didn't realize it was a $600 a year thing, ouch. At that price you could justify getting a chlorine generator that is out now available on Hot Spring but either way I'd personally go with chlorine due to effectiveness and cost. One thing to add, if they are including a bottle of Silk Balance and you decide not to use it I doubt they'll reduce the price by $200, more like they'll reduce it by what that bottle costs them but what the heck, give it a shot and ask for $200 off if you so chose.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Vanguard

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2010, 11:25:42 am »
Ditto what SpaTech said.  The chlorine cost is around $100/year.  I also add the chlorine after I use the spa. 
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

neacr1

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2010, 01:23:55 pm »
Thanks guys for the info on the chemicals. I asked the dealer about the salt system and she quoted $1000.00. She also quoted an '09 new Grandee with full warranty for $9800.00 with piston type lifter, silver cartridge, ceramic filters, 220 box, steps and starter chemicals(not Silk Balance) and written guarantee that they will service my tub in a timely fashion from their store which is about 65-70 miles from me.

Wondering if Baquaspa is comparable to chlorine as I'm told it is less harsh? Also, is the salt system worth 1000.00 and if I get it do I still have to add chemicals? Thanks again to all!!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2010, 02:16:23 pm »
 With Baqua your back to the more money for chem situation, not to mention possibly a few more headaches.  Stick with the cartridge,chlorine and shock don't look back. 

We looked at carrying the silk balance and in the end felt most people long term wouldn't buy it.   

neacr1

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2010, 10:03:29 am »
Looks like we'll be able to wet test the Grandee this afternoon. Any comments on the deal?? $9800 for the tub with full warranty, 220 panel, ceramic filters, silver cartridge, starter chem pack, step, piston type cover lifter, and of course delivery and setup. Sounds like a good deal to me but you guys know better than I do and your input is valued. Also, another dealer with a Grandee told me that the piston type cover lifter was not as good as the one without pistons. He said dealers that try to sell them to you won't tell you that you have to replace the pistons. Of course, he didn't have one to throw in with his deal. Any thoughts on lifters and do you think the salt system is worth $1000??
Thanks again to everyone for the help!! Hopefully we will make our decision this afternoon. demolition of the sunroom has begun and construction of the deck will follow. Keep your fingers crossed.

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2010, 10:53:37 am »
That is a real nice price for that spa with those options!  :)

I haven't seen the Ace system in action so I don't have direct experience with it but all my pool customers who use salt systems say that they are a lot easier to maintain and more forgiving when they are busy and don't add chems on schedule.
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

neacr1

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2010, 06:16:37 pm »
Great tub but I float in all the corner seats. Salesperson suggested weighted belts and booster seats. Pretty frustrated.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2010, 07:40:01 pm »
Great tub but I float in all the corner seats. Salesperson suggested weighted belts and booster seats. Pretty frustrated.

Usaully floating is an issue with lounges, not regular seats. Try another and see if it happens again. Ive seen piston assisted cover lifters and used them for years. The pistons don't fail too often IMO and are easily changed out if they do.

neacr1

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2010, 09:23:52 pm »
Going to wet test a Caldera Niagara Wed. Seems like a nice tub, hopefully I don't float out of the seats. Seems like the Grandee seats lay back pretty far and that may be the reason for floating. Oh Well. The Niagara is $9500.00 out the door including tax, steps, lifter, and starter chem pack. It has the spa frog system, anyone familiar with this, would it be possible to just use the basic cheap chemicals and not the frog?? Do I need to or should stick with it.

Also, the Cantabria may be available for between $10,000 and $11,000 without optional equipment, but would include cover, lifter, and chemicals. Any thoughts?? Seems like a great tub.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2010, 11:09:36 am »
Going to wet test a Caldera Niagara Wed. Seems like a nice tub, hopefully I don't float out of the seats. Seems like the Grandee seats lay back pretty far and that may be the reason for floating. Oh Well. The Niagara is $9500.00 out the door including tax, steps, lifter, and starter chem pack. It has the spa frog system, anyone familiar with this, would it be possible to just use the basic cheap chemicals and not the frog?? Do I need to or should stick with it.

Also, the Cantabria may be available for between $10,000 and $11,000 without optional equipment, but would include cover, lifter, and chemicals. Any thoughts?? Seems like a great tub.

1) You are not required in any way to try the Frog system but if its there I'd give it a try and if its not for you just switch or just use whatever you want to start with.

2) The cantabria is much bigger so you'll have to decide if you're looking for something that big but the price seems good.

neacr1

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2010, 08:34:48 am »
Can anyone tell me the differences between Bromine and chlorine and are the costs the same?? Also, what are the test strips for? I've never cared for water before and I'm sure I'll get somewhat of an education from the dealer I end up using but I would like to know enough that I don't fall for some sales hype. Seems like the chlorine is the cheapest but it also seems like there are other thing to be concerned with like PH and such. Are there other chemicals needed besides the chlorine? Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 08:58:40 am by neacr1 »

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2010, 12:11:36 pm »
I'm not a water expert but I do know this. You need to balance your water to get the best results from whatever sanitizer you decide to use. If your spa has an ozonator you might choose to use a chlorine free shock each day you use the spa and then use actual chlorine each week or every other week depending on how often you are using the spa.

If your spa does not have an ozonator then you might want to use Bromine because it does not burn off as fast as chlorine in warm water.
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2010, 12:11:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42