What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First Hot Tub Decisions  (Read 12497 times)

Mike Lambert

Re: First Hot Tub Decisions
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 07:35:22 am »
After some wet tests this weekend I'm leaning towards the Caldera.  The only real problem I had was trying to figure out the diverters and which one worked what seats but I would imagine over time this wouldn't be much of a problem.  We wet tested the Niagara but they have a floor model of the Geneva that we really liked.  Unfortunetly my wife like the Dynasty better.  Not sure what to do now.  We have ruled out the Artic, not because its not a great tub, just because of the price compared to the others.  We have already expanded our budget as we have been looking and just can't go any more.  I was also wrong with the Dynasty, it is $7700.

I kind of ruled out Jacuzzi because the dealer doesn't do their own service work and they "don't really wet test".  They only had a 480 to test and didn't really sound that thrilled with us doing it.  That hot tub doesn't have any of the same features or jet layouts of the 355 that we were considering so I'm not sure it's worth it.  When i asked them if they can fill the 355 on the floor, I just felt like I was bothering them and figured it's not worth it.  It's too bad, I really like the Jacuzzi, but wanted to wet test before we spent all that money.

Leisureguy, I'm from Manitowoc.  Why do you ask?

As for the Dynasty, the wet test wasn't bad.  Jets seemed powerful, the layout was nice, the controls were nice.  I'm not sure about the lack of a circ pump with ozone, or the overall quality of the tub but like I said my wife really liked it.  One thing I was concerned about was the speakers were on the raised ridge along the back of the tub and I was wondering how the cover fit in that area and if it really seals all that well because of it.  The sales guy said its not a problem, but I'm not sure.  Does anyone have one of these tubs with the speakers?  How does the cover fit?  Is this a problem?

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.
Mike

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 07:35:22 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 09:19:16 am »

As for the Dynasty, the wet test wasn't bad.  Jets seemed powerful, the layout was nice, the controls were nice.  I'm not sure about the lack of a circ pump with ozone, or the overall quality of the tub but like I said my wife really liked it.  One thing I was concerned about was the speakers were on the raised ridge along the back of the tub and I was wondering how the cover fit in that area and if it really seals all that well because of it.  The sales guy said its not a problem, but I'm not sure.  Does anyone have one of these tubs with the speakers?  How does the cover fit?  Is this a problem?

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.
Mike

I can't speak for the cover, it will add to the replacement cost of future covers. Since your limited in your budget have you thought about dropping the stereo and going for more tub?  Many people find they don't use the stereo as much as they thought and I am one of those, we prefer peace and quiet most of the time, or we prefer to hear our conversation and frequently at night we are without suits so we don't want to draw attention to ourselves.  The true power of the jets is a big plus in my opinion for the Dynasty and it was our big selling point for us 7 years ago and would be a factor in future decisions. Forgetting whatever any manufacture claims for horsepower ratings, my effective mass

As for the lack of a circ pump and ozone, ozone can be added by the dealer, and maybe dropping the stereo might make that an even wash :).  As for the circ pump. It may be a good thing to have, but not having it doesn't make a tub junk.  I've been very successful in keeping my water clean for 3-4 months at a time without one.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Mike Lambert

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 12:36:58 pm »
The Dynasty had the ozone included in the price of $7700, that also includes the stereo.  Without the stereo it would be $7000.  Since I could put my own in for much less than that, I'm thinking no stereo option would best if we do get the Dynasty. 

I definetly don't think any of these tubs are junk.  At this point I'm thinking no matter which one I get, I will have a great tub that will last many years.  I tend to over anaylze all big purchases and since this is more of luxury than others (cars, home) it makes it that much harder.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 01:22:46 pm »
We wet tested the Niagara but they have a floor model of the Geneva that we really liked.  Unfortunetly my wife like the Dynasty better.  Not sure what to do now.  

I'd concentrate on dealer confidence (how long in business, how long with this brand, how long have they serviced spas and this brand, will he be there for you after the sale, what approach they take in trying to make the sale, etc.), what kind of package deal you can get, manufacturer warranty and confidence they'll back it, wet test results, aesthetics, etc.

My thought is I'd get the Caldera between those two but being married I know ignoring my wife on a purchase like this could have lasting effects lol.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 01:28:09 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 01:47:08 pm »

My thought is I'd get the Caldera between those two but being married I know ignoring my wife on a purchase like this could have lasting effects lol.

Amen! I just bought a 55" Samsung LED TV with internet capability.  I wanted the Sony and my wife wanted the Samsung.  Love the Samsung, accept they advertised it as having a Netflix application to stream directly to the TV. Turns out they only had the license for their Blue Ray player, not the TV. The application may never work.  I can surf youtube videos from my set and stream movies from another provider, but as a Netflix owner, I'm a little ticked over that.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Mike Lambert

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 02:50:54 pm »
It's nice to know that I'm not the only one having these issues.  Maybe I can sweet talk her into wanting the Caldera.  ;D

spasearcher

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 04:20:34 pm »
That's a real shame that the Jacuzzi dealer wasn't willing to let you wet test different models - I don't blame you from walking away from them - I would too! Just goes to show you how important it is to have a good product AND a good dealer to assist you. In my case the Jacuzzi dealer/tubs were the BEST out of them all (for us) and they filled a J-470 for me to try since I wasn't sure about the 480 or 470. The west test made my decision easy afterward (they even were pouring me cold bottled water to drink while I was in the tubs LOL - now that's service). That being said I'm sure you'll find a tub you are happy with in the end - good luck!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 05:08:46 pm »
 That Jacuzzi dealer was an idiot plain and simple! 

Mike Lambert

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 05:53:27 pm »
I do wish the Jacuzzi dealer would have been better.  Honestly we were days away from putting money down on one until we visited some of the other dealers and saw what they had.  I still might call and ask one last time if they can fill a different tub and see what happens, just so I know I'm doing the right thing by excluding them.  Who knows.

Mike Lambert

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 11:43:52 am »
So after looking at everything again we are just about ready to go ahead with the Caldera Geneva.  I was quoted $8200 which includes the cover, lifter, steps, ozone, startup chemicals, delivery, and GFCI panel.  This is a floor model so he said I'm getting it for less than normal.  Would you say this is a fair price?  Looking through my notes I'm pretty sure its a 2009 but I'm not sure.  I'll have to double check.

Comments?

Vanguard

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 11:54:11 am »
That is a great price on a Geneva.  Even if it is an '09.  There were really not any changes from '09 to '10 so they are the same spa.

Congrats on the purchase!!
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 12:13:14 pm »
I think you made a great choice, Caldera is a good brand, enjoy your new hot tub, nice to see your process of your purchase,
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

Hot Tub Guru

• Heavenly Times Hot Tubs & Billiards
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2010, 01:28:17 pm »
Welcome to "Spatopia"!!!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2010, 01:53:39 pm »
So after looking at everything again we are just about ready to go ahead with the Caldera Geneva.  I was quoted $8200 which includes the cover, lifter, steps, ozone, startup chemicals, delivery, and GFCI panel.  This is a floor model so he said I'm getting it for less than normal.  Would you say this is a fair price?  Looking through my notes I'm pretty sure its a 2009 but I'm not sure.  I'll have to double check.

Comments?

Congrats and IMO you did well for that spa at that price. Personally I'd rather pay $8200 for a 2009 floor model than probably about $1000 more for a 2010 version where nothing appreciably changed.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

spasearcher

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2010, 01:34:57 am »
Good brand and great price  ;D. I also got a "floor model" when purchasing my Jacuzzi spa and got a bit better price. Plus you don't have to wait a month for the dealer to order you one, which is nice too! Hope the install goes well - congrats!  :D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2010, 01:34:57 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42