What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: damage to rubber headrests?  (Read 16678 times)

just ducky

damage to rubber headrests?
« on: April 11, 2010, 02:19:58 pm »
This is a weird one.  I've owned my tub a year, and have done regular weekly maintenance throughout that time, which includes use of defender, renew, and when necessary a chlorine shock.   I did my typical maintenance this weekend, and the next day I noticed that two of the corner headrests have a couple spots where it looks like the bottom (water) side of rubber edge have blistered a bit.  I felt them and it's like an air-filled wrinkled blister about the size of a dime.  The other two corners have nothing?  I tested the water, and everything checks out fine.  Now I know the manufacturers info warns about damage to rubber elements due to over-chlorinating, and leaving the cover closed when you add di-chlor.  But as I typically have done for the last year, the cover was off when I did everything.  I have no clue what I did differently this time versus any other time in the past year?  And why only two of the headrests?  The water level is the same distance from all of the headrests?  Any thoughts about what could cause minor damage like this to rubber items so I can avoid doing it again?

Hot Tub Forum

damage to rubber headrests?
« on: April 11, 2010, 02:19:58 pm »

Vanguard

Re: damage to rubber headrests?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 08:46:22 pm »
It could be the headrests themselves.  If they had some kind of small hole in them, water can get into them and damage them.  I'd doubt you did anything specifically to damage them.  Headrests don't last a very long time. 
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 05:00:44 pm »
It could be the headrests themselves.  If they had some kind of small hole in them, water can get into them and damage them.  I'd doubt you did anything specifically to damage them.  Headrests don't last a very long time. 

I started noticing degradation to mine after 4 years, and now at 7 am seriously considering replacing them. :)
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

just ducky

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 08:07:11 pm »
Hmmm...never even thought about it being the headrest themselves?  The headrests are oval shape, and along the bottom of the curve, on each side there is this small damage.  Kind of like where dimples appear on a face at the outiside edges.  And the weirdest part about it is it's only on two of the four headrests?  I just assumed they made headrests to withstand the  obvious...heat, water and chems.  But if they're actually made cheaply to begin with, then I guess that could be it. 

clover

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 03:02:33 pm »
Chemical "gas off" could be the problem.  Ph out of wack will do it.  What is happening to the underside of your cover?  Is it wrinkling, or "waffling?

It would be a disappointment to buy new pillow and have the same occur.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

just ducky

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 03:46:36 pm »
Nothing at all happening to the underside of the cover.  If it were consistent, I'd suspect chems or something.  But it's only on two of the four, and they're all the same distance from the water.  I really don't get it, but the good news is it hasn't gotten any worse since I first noticed it.

just ducky

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 08:22:36 pm »
pulling up this old post of mine about damage to the "pillows" for an update...I just found out in talking with my dealer that headrests of this type are notorious for not lasting.  The tub is about 1 1/2 years old, and it happens to be a Jacuzzi 345, with two-part oval pillows.  The inner part that the light shines through looks fine, but it's the outer (back) part that is softer rubber and they are all going bad.  My chems have been well balanced, so I didn't think I caused it.  The dealer said it's the combination of ozonator and chemicals that's causing it, and he said it's a problem with other manufacturers as well.  He claims that most hot tub manufacturers are moving away from rubber pillows because of this problem.  I found some replacements, but they're around $20 per  :o   I'm wondering if there are any permanent fixes for this, like a harder rubber replacement, so that I don't have to get new ones every year or two?  I've searched on-line, but have only found the original parts.  Any thoughts from the experts?

brian_tr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 02:05:40 pm »
I just pulled mine out of my Cameo. Trying to live without. The only seat it really bothers me is the lounge.  These things are to expense to replace every few years. 

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 07:36:51 pm »
pulling up this old post of mine about damage to the "pillows" for an update...I just found out in talking with my dealer that headrests of this type are notorious for not lasting.  The tub is about 1 1/2 years old, and it happens to be a Jacuzzi 345, with two-part oval pillows.  The inner part that the light shines through looks fine, but it's the outer (back) part that is softer rubber and they are all going bad.  My chems have been well balanced, so I didn't think I caused it.  The dealer said it's the combination of ozonator and chemicals that's causing it, and he said it's a problem with other manufacturers as well.  He claims that most hot tub manufacturers are moving away from rubber pillows because of this problem.  I found some replacements, but they're around $20 per  :o   I'm wondering if there are any permanent fixes for this, like a harder rubber replacement, so that I don't have to get new ones every year or two?  I've searched on-line, but have only found the original parts.  Any thoughts from the experts?

I have a 2003 J-370 and also had no issues until about a year and a half ago when I notice mine also starting to deteriorate.  I expect that as others have pointed out that something chemically got "out of whack" over a short period and caused the sudden event (nothing for five years and the...all four in the same month).  There are Jacuzzi dealers on here and I did get a price for replacement but it wasn't for only the cushion but also to replace both the mounting and the cushion itself (around $150 for the eight pieces so you are correct in that it is not cheap).  I have yet to buy them as other priorities seem to be happening & my boys don't ever use the cushions as they would rather splash and play, the only person it is impacting is me and I am fine resting my head on the shell itself.  I'll probably still buy the replacement parts and simply keep them in a drawer for the day I decide to sell it.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

just ducky

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 07:20:52 pm »

I'd do some searching on-line before you buy any, because I found several sites that have the various headrest parts individually, so you can buy just what you need.  I got several on-line prices, then talked with my local Jacuzzi dealer, who matched the lowest on-line price, and I saved shipping  ;)

I have a 2003 J-370 and also had no issues until about a year and a half ago when I notice mine also starting to deteriorate.  I expect that as others have pointed out that something chemically got "out of whack" over a short period and caused the sudden event (nothing for five years and the...all four in the same month).  There are Jacuzzi dealers on here and I did get a price for replacement but it wasn't for only the cushion but also to replace both the mounting and the cushion itself (around $150 for the eight pieces so you are correct in that it is not cheap).  I have yet to buy them as other priorities seem to be happening & my boys don't ever use the cushions as they would rather splash and play, the only person it is impacting is me and I am fine resting my head on the shell itself.  I'll probably still buy the replacement parts and simply keep them in a drawer for the day I decide to sell it.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 07:20:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42