What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Springs Sovereign ?'s  (Read 18385 times)

davebks

Hot Springs Sovereign ?'s
« on: March 16, 2010, 05:03:37 pm »
Good afternoon,
I am moving into a new place and a coworker of mine has a hot tub she offered to sell me.  It sounds like a great price! but I dont really know anything about hot tubs except I want one.
It is a Hot Springs, Sovereign, 110V hot tub.  
Thoughts?? Any ideas on a 110v vs a 220V. I cant really afford much  more then she is asking and my alternative is to toss the bath tub and get a jacuzzi tub.

She recently bought a new pump, has tons of chemicals shell throw in too.

If you can help with any info I would really appreciate it.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 01:17:16 pm by davebks »

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Springs Sovereign ?'s
« on: March 16, 2010, 05:03:37 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: 110 v hot springs Sovereign
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 05:15:40 pm »
Good afternoon,
I am moving into a new place and a coworker of mine has a hot tub she offered to sell me.  It sounds like a great price! but I dont really know anything about hot tubs except I want one.
It is a Hot Springs, Sovereign, 110V hot tub. 
Thoughts?? Any ideas on a 110v vs a 220V. I cant really afford much  more then she is asking and my alternative is to toss the bath tub and get a jacuzzi tub.

She recently bought a new pump, has tons of chemicals shell throw in too.

If you can help with any info I would really appreciate it.
Thanks!

We'd need to know 3 things;

1)  Is this in full operation at her place or is it sitting there empty and you have to hope it'll run fine when you get it,

2) what year spa,

3) how much is she asking?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

davebks

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 05:41:39 pm »
Here's what I know so far,(shes out of the office or I could ask)...
She mentioned its from the late 90's early 2000 I think.
I believe its empty.
She wants $400.

I know she just got a new pump for it, which is basically what I am paying for. this is a close coworker of mine who has assured me that everything works great. I do trust her and will definitely check it out in person before committing.  She has a ton of chemicals as well that she can give me. I know she is selling it because her kids are gone and they just don't use it as much anymore.

When I know more I can tell you more.  I am just deciding if it's worth it. Especially over a jetted bath vs a new spa vs this one...?
Thanks!
Oh, I was told that you can convert it from a 110V to a 220V. Can you confirm that??

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 10:44:03 am »

Oh, I was told that you can convert it from a 110V to a 220V. Can you confirm that??

I was thinking that is possible, but there are far more HS experts out there than me, I'm sure someone will speak up. Worse case, get the serial number and stop in to your local HS store and talk about the tub, even though your buying private, they will be good to know for future service and chemicals, they may provide some good insight and perhaps they have a service record of the tub if they did the work.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Vanguard

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 11:41:04 am »
It can be converted to 220.  The main advantage is that you can run the heater while you have the jets on.  Many folks think they'll get an energy savings, but that isn't the case here.

The other thing to consider:  If you stay 110, you'll need to make sure the outlet you use is a dedicated outlet.  You can't have anything else on the circuit.  Some folks don't want to worry about that, so they go ahead with the conversion and have the tub hardwired.

Assuming the tub is in working condition and has no leaks, $400 would be a great deal for you.  Check it out to make sure everything is working, look at the cover, which can cost more than $400 to replace.  You'll probably want to buy new filters, but that shouldn't cost you too much.

Good luck and keep coming back if you have more questions.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Flyonthewall

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 05:42:09 pm »
i picked up my 97 hss used, and it has been a tank.  imo it would be well worth 400.  besides new filters also hook it up, fill it up, and then run a jet line cleaner thru it like flush or swirl-away.

davebks

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 01:16:49 pm »
Hi all,
Thanks for much for the info so far.
She looked up some numbers on the tub and here is what I know-
Hot Springs Sovereign, I 301693 (IE90)
Motor mod. K48kpa105 (HP1)
Volts 115/230.
She said its a mid 90's tub, pump is brand new. Not digital readout, dials.
Anyone know what that means for me?  
She is going to fill it for me so we can make sure it runs just fine and has no leaks.
Any opinion on 115/230?  Sounds like the 230 can get the temp up quicker but do you just end up paying more in bills to keep that line up and running? Is there really a big difference?
I don't really know which is better overall for long term care/use/heating/maintenance/cost, etc.

Thanks again!!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 01:40:51 pm by davebks »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 01:51:00 pm »
Hi all,
Thanks for much for the info so far.
She looked up some numbers on the tub and here is what I know-
Hot Springs Sovereign, I 301693 (IE90)
Motor mod. K48kpa105 (HP1)
Volts 115/230.
She said its a mid 90's tub, pump is brand new. Not digital readout, dials.
Anyone know what that means for me?  
She is going to fill it for me so we can make sure it runs just fine and has no leaks.
Any opinion on 115/230?  Sounds like the 230 can get the temp up quicker but do you just end up paying more in bills to keep that line up and running? Is there really a big difference?
I don't really know which is better overall for long term care/use/heating/maintenance/cost, etc.

Thanks again!!

1) Cost of operation does not really vary much at all between running 220v or 100v.
2) 220 is more preferable especially in cold climaets but 110v works ok
3) I'm not sure mid 90s Hot Springs are convertible in the first place. Someone else asked that question lately and I'm pretty sure the answer was that not until the late 90s was this possible. You can call the manufacturer with the serial number for a better answer.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Peteyboy

• 1991 HotSpring Classic - Tech since 1987
Re: Hot Springs Sovereign ?'s
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 02:31:29 pm »
By the serial number that is a 3rd quarter 1990 spa. It CANNOT be converted to 230V.

I have a 1991 Classic, so those spas can last a long time.
spas are electrical devices and can be dangerous to repair - please use this advice at your own risk

davebks

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 02:36:15 pm »
I called the company and they said it definitely can be converted. That's why it says 115/230.  I just need to get a sub-panel and have it installed by an electrician.
Have any of you done that?

---update, I called a company here in town and they said the subpanel runs about $250, then I need to have an electrician hook it up. Sounds easy enough.

Overall it sounds like a good deal. I just need to see it in action at her place to make sure everything runs smoothly/
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 03:13:34 pm by davebks »

Vanguard

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 06:11:05 pm »
Be sure you get the panel from a Hot Spring dealer.  You can't just get the type they use at any place.  I think $250 sounds a bit high.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Flyonthewall

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 07:14:47 pm »
i don't think so.  a 1990 model has either a specific 110 v or 220v heater element.  without changing the heater you can't change the voltage (and i don't know if you could change the heater.  110v is fine anyways.)  .  if you posed the question based on thinking it was mid 90's they would be right (based on info given to them).

davebks

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 04:26:50 pm »
So its looking good to make this happen. She is filling it and we'll see it once its up and running.
I was taking a look around my yard for a good location. To the side of my yard I have an area that is just rocky, not big rocks, but rocks. Kind of like a dog run. Can I just set that sucker on top of those rocks?
My deck is falling apart and not that sturdy so I would not trust a tub on there.

Peteyboy

• 1991 HotSpring Classic - Tech since 1987
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 12:04:51 pm »
If the serial number is I301693 it CAN NOT be converted to 230V. The pump may be convertible but as Fly said the heater is a 115V heater. In 1990 you either bought HotSpring as 115V or 230V.
Call Watkins Mfg at 800-999-4688.
I would use stepping stones as a base. Make it very level and tamp down the ground very well.
spas are electrical devices and can be dangerous to repair - please use this advice at your own risk

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 09:31:01 am »
That tub is not convertible.

Also - the pump has a service factor of 1.65, which means that even though the motor is rated at 1 HP, you multiply the two numbers together and it actually will produce 1.65HP.

It is a good tub, should be well worth the various costs involved in getting it into your life.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 09:31:01 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42