What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Deciding on the proper size tub  (Read 6736 times)

Theojt

Deciding on the proper size tub
« on: March 15, 2010, 03:14:26 pm »
Noob selecting my first spa. Me and my S.O. live with two growing (teenage) boys in our house. My sister/bro-in law live next door and my two nieces are same age as the two boys. They all hang out together (plus a couple of neighborhood friends) Other family members parents, (sister, brother, spouses, kids) live 10 minutes away.

Other than wet testing, the big consideration right now is "how many people will concurrently use the tub, on average"?

I am looking at the HS Envoy (5 person) and the Vista (6 person). I figure 4 of us on a regular basis. But I wonder if it might be more.

What has your experience been? Do teenagers use spas much (not considering "spa parties") or far less? Do your family members tend to visit more often once you got your tubs?

Price difference isn't that great, just concerned about estimating usage so I don't get the Envoy and then wish I'd have gotten the slightly larger Vista. Conversely, I don't want to go with a Vista only to find that it's just me and the S.O. most of the time.

Thanks,
Jeff

Hot Tub Forum

Deciding on the proper size tub
« on: March 15, 2010, 03:14:26 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Deciding on the proper size tub
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 03:41:57 pm »
Given all you have said, I think you would find the Vanguard or Grandee better choices.  I believe the open seating is far better for families and groups.

Dan
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 04:54:26 pm »
Given all you have said, I think you would find the Vanguard or Grandee better choices.  I believe the open seating is far better for families and groups.

Dan

He took the words right out of my mouth. The lounge takes up quite a bit of real estate and won't work for everyone. When I bought mine it was my wife and I plus our 3 sons and I knew enough to get a large, open seated spa and always recommend the same to families. Unless you're getting a much bigger spa than your needs (and that doesn't seem to be your case) where the lounge can go unused without a problem I'd go without a lounge.

Otherwise, when in doubt go bigger. Far more people regret that they didn't go bigger than those who wish they'd gone smaller because only two people use it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 06:37:44 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 05:20:21 pm »
Given all you have said, I think you would find the Vanguard or Grandee better choices.  I believe the open seating is far better for families and groups.

Dan

+1
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

Theojt

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 07:33:55 pm »
Thanks.  I had looked at the Grandee but was enticed by the lounge.  Maybe I need to revisit the decision.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 08:38:39 am »
Welcome to the forum,

I'm impressed you thought of this right away. This is something many people don't think about in much detail before a purchase. I had dreams of hosting hot tub parties, but in 7 years my 6 person tub has had 6 people in it once.  That said, I'm still glad now that I have a larger tub.  We are empty nesters now and 95% of the time its two people in the tub, usually my wife and I.  On some occasions my daughter and her fiance visits and we may have 4 people.

In my larger tub I can move around where ever I want, and can position myself in front of any of the jets to get to about any sore spot.  Having a larger tub also ends the lounger or no lounger debate.  The lounger is our least used seat, but on rare occasions when I go out alone I love to use it.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 08:40:15 am »

Dan

I'm also a fan of open seating.  While we technically have a 6 person tub,  There are probably 10 combinations of seats in ours when we don't have 6 in it.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

thearm

• EMERALD CLASSIC all the way!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 08:14:29 pm »
Welcome to the forum,

In my larger tub I can move around where ever I want, and can position myself in front of any of the jets to get to about any sore spot.  Having a larger tub also ends the lounger or no lounger debate.  The lounger is our least used seat, but on rare occasions when I go out alone I love to use it.

I agree with Bill. Bought a larger tub with lounge and most of the time it's only me and the wife. Love having the lounge when I need it. Can't ever remember someone wishing they had bought a smaller tub. Also believe most people expect to do a lot more entertaining in the hot tub than actually happens.

hudler

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 10:32:39 am »
What about operating costs? Larger tubs equal more pumps etc. Does going from a 5 to eight person tub substantially push up operating cost? Just wondering.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 10:40:03 am »
What about operating costs? Larger tubs equal more pumps etc. Does going from a 5 to eight person tub substantially push up operating cost? Just wondering.

To be honest, I don't know, I don't watch the electric bill as I love to tub too much to want to know the damage :)

Jet Sitter

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 01:03:47 pm »

You can get an idea of this by visiting the web site of a manufacturer who posts the approximate operating costs.  Remember that most do not do this because there are so many variables involved - use patterns, climate, local electricity cost etc.  However, one can make assumptions about all of these factors and if consistently applied across all models in the line you can get an idea of relative costs between spas.  You can compare to your local elec rates, weather and anticipated use and start to get an idea of what to expect.  Just remember, you can't really compare the figures between different manufacturers.  I know that other mfg used to provide this info or may have it in the showroom, but the only one I can think of that has it on line is D1.  Visit their website and see how a little one pump model compares to a larger two pump model.  As I recall the analysis doesn't really reflect the use of a circ pump vs low speed pump for filtration so the numbers may slightly exagerate the cost difference.

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 07:28:20 pm »

Actually an 8 person spa won't run you much more than a 5 person of the same brand spa built the same way. You're obviously heating up more water from the start and it'll cost a little more to maintain the extra water but it is NOT even close to being proportional. Its not like a 500 gallon spa will cost double what a 250 gallon spa will run you.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Theojt

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 12:35:18 am »
So I guess if initial price uplift isn't huge and the operating cost difference isn't huge, it'll come down to comfort/wet test only and personal preference.  Maybe I just over-analyzed a bit.

At least now I know I have thoroughy considered this aspect and gotten some thoughtful responses - thanks!

hudler

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 09:29:08 am »
Very good info on operating costs, I was curious about this and you guys pointed me in the right direction, Thanks alot!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 09:29:08 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42