What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance Electrical Install Through Bottom  (Read 6788 times)

Oliva V

Sundance Electrical Install Through Bottom
« on: March 07, 2010, 02:00:41 pm »
I have bought a 2010 Optima and will be installing it on a paver patio. I would like to bring the electrical service up through the bottom of the cabinet as opposed to one of the side ports that come with the unit.

The electrician says he does it all the time, the dealer does not like the idea. What do I need to consider before I attempt this type of installation. I know I have to drill a hole in the bottom of the cabinet so I am concerned about the location for two reasons. 1) lining the hole up with the conduit coming out of the patio and 2) making sure that the hole location in the cabinet is in a good place to clear all internal components. I also need to know what type of drill and bit I will need to make the hole in the cabinet. I am being told that I need a 2” hole for the 1” conduit.
Please share your experience.
Thank you

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance Electrical Install Through Bottom
« on: March 07, 2010, 02:00:41 pm »

dax

• '07 Sundance Cameo
Re: Sundance Electrical Install Through Bottom
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 08:40:45 pm »
I have a 2007 Cameo (sitting on patio pavers) and installed the electric service through the bottom of the cabinet as you desire.  My dealer had no problem with me doing so.  Only thing is that the dealer required me to drill the hole in the cabinet.  Don't recall how big the hole was, but the bigger it is the easier it is to line it up to the conduit.  You can fill in the gap with a spray foam sealer.  The delivery guys did assist me with lining up the cabinet hole to the conduit.

For where to drill the hole, decide how you want your tub situated and where you want it located.  I went to the dealer and he removed the panels from his demo tub and allowed me to make measurements.  For the Cameo, it was best to bring up the conduit on the side opposite the water fall.  I imagine it would be the same for the Optima, but I don't know that for sure.  So you should make your own measurements.  Really wasn't all that difficult.  Good luck!

Oliva V

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 01:36:38 pm »
Thank you for the reply. I will get over to the dealer and make some measurements. The idea of spraying in expanding foam is a great one. I had wanted to keep bugs and animals out of the cabinet.
Thanks again

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 07:24:57 pm »
 You should be fine going through the btm like mentioned, some dealers just don't want to deal with it. As long as you measure and give yourself a fudge factor of say 4/5 inches spa wise in any direction you should be fine, if its a tight spot and you don't have much room for error make sure the measurements are right on. 

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 12:37:59 pm »
For a nice clean look...IMO....coming up through the bottom is the way to go!

;)

Oliva V

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 07:27:46 pm »
I have plently of room to move the tub around before anyone would notice that it is out of place.

I was planning on using door hole saw to drill a 2" hole. Does anyone have a better way to drill though the bottom?

Thanks everybody for your help.

dax

• '07 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 12:16:28 pm »
I recall borrowing a paddle bit to drill the hole in my tub.  Don't remember how large, but I'm guessing it had to be 2" or so.

Hottubber1

• hottubbing under the stars...
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 02:49:33 pm »
If you haven't drilled the hole yet, follow these guidelines;

Map out the area where the spa sits. In your case it is 7'5" x 7'5" w/8" radius. If the pavers are already down, use chalk.
Determine what side the equipment will be on then go to your dealer and have them open the cabinet to expose the equipment side. Measure to the left of the control box where there is a rather large area to drill from without hitting any components. Take those dimensions home and lay out where your conduit will come up. All of the Sundance models are set up the similar way.
When the dealer delivers the spa, have them leave it on wheels, drill the hole through the bottom from inside, so you don't hit anything then have them place the spa down over the power cord as you pull it through. It should fit like a glove.

I used 2.5" hole saw for mine and it came out great. Good luck... ;)

Hottubber1 8)

Oliva V

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 07:29:35 pm »
Thank you everyone. It turns out that the electrical code in our township requires the connection be made through the side.

Thanks again for your help.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 09:22:48 am »
Thank you everyone. It turns out that the electrical code in our township requires the connection be made through the side.

Thanks again for your help.

That is a first, I'm sure your correct, but haven't heard that one before.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 09:22:48 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42