What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cost/hassle of repairing leaks in full-foam insulation?  (Read 40812 times)

Summitman

Re: Cost/hassle of repairing leaks in full-foam insulation?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 08:14:48 am »
You are correct that some of the main mfg's rely on foam to support the hose and keep them from developing leaks long term.  But, what if you are one of those alleged unlucky ones that does develop a leak.  I also agree that taking the proper measures when the tub is being built is the best route to go.  Arctic for instance uses an upgraded hosing and fitting system that prevents leaks long term.  They do happen, and they arent any more frequent than a full foam tub, but you can get to them easily and fix.

Just my .02 cents

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 08:14:48 am »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 08:42:25 am »
Do I hear the whinny of a beaten horse?... ::)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Summitman

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 10:00:36 am »

Nope just sharing my .02 cents like everyone else...

Water Boy

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 10:09:50 am »

Whiny?? ;) Two pages is hardly a beaten horse. Hell this is the most replies this forum has received in over a year and a half. You mods should love this. ::)

In regards to the Arctic's and TP spas, many people will say that they leak easier because they don't have the foam support backing on the plumbing like FF spas do. This may be true of lots of cheaper TP spas. But, Arctic does use foam in certain specific areas where they will take about 2-3" of foam or more under hoses near the floor for support. Also, hoses near the top will also be supported near the top with foam backing near the shell. So, even though Arctic does use  perimeter insulation, there is still adequate support of the plumbing throughout. That's the beauty of owning an Arctic. You have the energy efficiency of a FF spa, and the ease of serviceability of a TP spa. The best of both worlds all in one spa!! ;) ;)
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 10:38:07 am »
I guess my point is that it is migrating toward the full foam discussion that has been rehashed so many times. The question, I believed, was just to clear up how difficult a repair would be in full foamed vs. thermopane (no manufacturers named).The info is good and YES it's great to see the forum activity increasing, but now we are talking specifics and your last post has made it into a sales pitch for Arctic..that is my personal opinion and does not reflect the opinion of the moderators of this forum  ;D  ;D ;) time for a beer..or two ::)

gordholio99

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 10:45:50 am »
Hey all:

I'm the original poster, and to me (and likely to any other relative newbies looking for answers before they set out $8000 or more), this is far from a beaten horse. And yes, this is one of the busier threads in some time. So...thanks again to all who've replied here.

It seems to me from my rookie perspective (and waaay too much research!) that "partially" foamed spas make a lot of sense. Beer Man, I don't know if you're an Arctic salesperson (your post is quite glowing), but from all my research thus far, it does seem like Arctic handles the insulation question sensibly. Generally, I've found that even those who tend to favor the full foam approach for its insulative qualities (and plumbing line support) admit that the Arctic approach is pretty good. Foam in the keys spots to aid with support and to improve insulation - but not so much that it would take hours to reach an internal leak - and added "thermal pane" insulation around the perimeter.

Water Boy

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 11:57:52 am »
I guess my point is that it is migrating toward the full foam discussion that has been rehashed so many times. The question, I believed, was just to clear up how difficult a repair would be in full foamed vs. thermopane (no manufacturers named).The info is good and YES it's great to see the forum activity increasing, but now we are talking specifics and your last post has made it into a sales pitch for Arctic..that is my personal opinion and does not reflect the opinion of the moderators of this forum  ;D  ;D ;) time for a beer..or two ::)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 12:01:08 pm »
 ;D ;D ;)

gordholio99

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 12:02:09 pm »
That guy ROCKS! I gotta buy my hot tub from him.

Water Boy

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 12:05:48 pm »
Hey all:

I'm the original poster, and to me (and likely to any other relative newbies looking for answers before they set out $8000 or more), this is far from a beaten horse. And yes, this is one of the busier threads in some time. So...thanks again to all who've replied here.

It seems to me from my rookie perspective (and waaay too much research!) that "partially" foamed spas make a lot of sense. Beer Man, I don't know if you're an Arctic salesperson (your post is quite glowing), but from all my research thus far, it does seem like Arctic handles the insulation question sensibly. Generally, I've found that even those who tend to favor the full foam approach for its insulative qualities (and plumbing line support) admit that the Arctic approach is pretty good. Foam in the keys spots to aid with support and to improve insulation - but not so much that it would take hours to reach an internal leak - and added "thermal pane" insulation around the perimeter.

Hi Gordholio,

Glad to hear that this forum is helping you. I agree, I thought this was far from a deadhorse as well. I was just having a little fun with Boni. Yes, I am an Arctic salesman, as most on here I think know already, so that is why I was having a little fun with it. I didn't think I had any more of a sales tone in my post then the Watkins boys that come on here. Just saying..., but if I offended anyone in anyway, well I,m sorry. ;D But, in all seriousness, most people say that you need to go with FF to have it for insulation purposes, but I can tell you for a fact that the Arctic's insulate as good as if not better than FF spas.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 12:07:20 pm by Beer Man »

Hot Tub Guru

• Heavenly Times Hot Tubs & Billiards
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 01:11:48 pm »
Another advantage of Arctic Spas insulation is upgradeability.  A few years ago Arctic came out with the Onzen system.   This a salt water care system which works fantastic. 

Whenever a new product is introduced for an Arctic spa an email is sent out explaining what the widget does and what it will cost to install on the customers existing hot tub.  About 15% of those customers who received an email about our newest option decided to get it installed on their spa.  Now 15% isn't a huge number but those customers don't have to buy a whole new spa to get the newest widget. 

Adding jets after a customer has a spa in their backyard is another common upgrade.  We have added one jet, we have added 30 jets along with an additional pump.

Again just another Arctic Advantage!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 02:24:05 pm »
I have ESP...haha Beerman, you aren't offending anyone..we are all friends here ;)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010, 03:25:35 pm »

A picture I did up a couple of years ago that's on our website...not directed at anyone.  I just saw the original car salesman and it reminded me that I had it.

See ya'll later!

Term
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 03:27:36 pm by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

gordholio99

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2010, 10:19:24 pm »
Arctic guys: I've started a new topic re: Arctic. I hope a few of you Arctic salefolks/customers can reply. 

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2010, 10:31:26 pm »
ESP, I tell you..I HAVE ESP

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2010, 10:31:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42