What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Leisure Concepts Covermate III Cover lifter - cylinder freezing/cracking issues?  (Read 9929 times)

gwendland

I am ordering a Sundance Optima.  The deal includes a cover lifter.  I was considering having the covermate III installed but the dealer recommended the covermate I that is designed for Sundance.  The dealer informed me that several years ago, they installed covermate IIIs but the lifter was collecting water in the gas cylinder from the warm air/mist from the spa.  The water would freeze and crack the cylinder housing.  To many  customers were complaining and this is not an item covered by the warranty.  This was a nuisance and additional expense for his customers.  He returned to using and recommending the covermate I designed for Sundance.  He has not had any service complaints on the covermate I. 

On the one hand, I think the covermate III would make lifting the cover a lot easier for my wife, but I don't want to have to replace the lifter in the middle of winter because of some freezing issue.  This dealer hasn't installed any covermate IIIs recently...so....is this freezing water/cracking cylinder issue one that still plagues this product or has this problem been addressed and resolved?  I would be interested in hearing from anyone in cold regions who has a covermate III cover lifter on their spa about ANY issue with the covermate III.  In case you're wondering, I will not be charged more if I elect the covermate III.

Thanks in advance for any advice/information you can provide.  BTW, I've read most of the comments on previous threads dealing with cover lifters.  Some tubbers had issues with the covermate III, but my recollection is that most problems stemmed from people/wind forcing the cover down without releasing the cylinder lock.

Kudos to this forum.

Hot Tub Forum

firemedic

I'll let you know in a few months  :P  I have one installed on my J470, but I'M just going into my first winter.  I have never heard of this problem, I'll ask my dealer about it next time I get my water tested. 

Water Boy

We've installed quite a few of those over the years, and I have never heard of that problem. That’s sounds strange. Maybe it was a problem some years ago, and they fixed it. The only thing I have seen happen several times on the CM3's is what you had already heard. People will have the coverlifter in the locked position, and forget and try to force it shut with it locked, which in turn will usually brake the bracket.

They now use plastic brackets, and when they try to shut it when its locked, that’s what always breaks. But, they used to use a metal bracket, and when people tried to shut them with the metal brackets in the locked position, then I would see some of the pistons break. But not from freezing. Never seen that. I guess the moral of the story is if you do get the CM3, make sure everyone that is using the spa knows all about the locking device and how to work it.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
we use the covermate 3 up here in Northwest, have not had any crack or freeze up, only problems are when people forget they are locked and pull up on strap and rip that. but i have more customers going to the covermate ez or the ez lift. it actually opens very easy  and does not stick up as high , tends to knock block views...
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

gwendland

Thank you all for your remarks (and quick response).  I am visiting this dealer tomorrow to actually operate the covermate 1 on one of the floor models and get a sense of how difficult this lifter might be for my wife.  Given the remarks of the responders, I'm leaning toward my original choice...the covermate III.  I like the fact that it does make lifting the cover fairly effortless and that it does not require as much space to operate.

However, one of the nice features of the covermate I designed for Sundance is the bracketing is actually much more streamlined than the usually covermate I version and therefore has a much nicer profile (less intrusive visually).  Based on the statement by ejf, though, I also want to test the ez lift, if I can find one on a tub.

I truly believe the dealer raised this issue simply as a service to me...providing "full disclosure" of his experiences with broken covermate III lifters in the past...to make me aware of potential problems.  However, the cynical side of me also thinks 1) even though it's no additional cost to me, it is still cheaper for him, and 2) it is a disclaimer in the event I have problems in the future. 

IF I get the CMIII, I'll let you know if I have any problems with it.  My spa should be up and running in about four weeks...just in time for winter tubbing.  ;D

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
I installed a cover butler, can't remember the manufacturer, after trying it out at a Royal dealer. It's simple, but well made, no hydraulics, but my wife can easily put our cover off and on (92x92 4) with no problems. She likes it better than the previous covermate knock offs we have had.  I'm glad you brought it up, every fall and spring I go over the lifter and check screw tightness.  On any lifter loose hardware can cause excessive wear on the cover and lifter.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

gwendland

Thanks, wmccall.  I will check out the cover butler as well.

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
i still like the covermate ez, leisure concepte is in our backyard so they are close to us to get, have not had any experience with ther coverbutler, but i like the ezlift versus the covermate 1, the covermate 1 attaches to the side , if you just go throught the panel and not any support over time with the weight , can break it out. and after you fold up the cover you have to lift up,on the ezlift the lifter mounts low near the base, so when you fold the cover in half then you slide the cover towrd to the back so less lifting.

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
Though theoretically possible, this has not been a major reported issue.  In fact, of the hundreds of these Covermate 3's we've sold over the last 3 or 4 years I only recall a handful of shock failure reports and we may have had one that froze like this.  Shocks are potentially wearable parts and may need to be replaced during the life of the lift, but it really doesn't happen very often.

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
Shaamus,
 i would agree with you, i have not had really any problems with the covermate 3 i think i have replaced 2 to 3 shocks in the last 10 years, but my customers are prefereing the covermate ez...

gwendland

Thanks everyone for your input.  I checked them all out and although there is a potential for some hydraulic problems with the covermate III, I decided to go with it.  I did find it essentially effortless to use, which is good for my wife, and I also liked that it does not require as much space to operate as the other lifters.  Hopefully I will have no problems to report.

Kindest regards to all.

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
Congrats on your hot tub purchase.  The Sundance Optima is a great tub and that Covermate 3 really is a nice lift.  Hope you enjoy them.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
To chime in a little late, we sell a lot of repair parts for Covermate lifts, and I've NEVER heard of having to replace a shock due to damage from freezing.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

gwendland

Dr. Spa...Thanks for the encouraging note on the covermate III.  I have already ordered the covermate III cover lifter, but your input on this matter has provided additional reassurance that I made the right choice for us. 

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
congrats on the tub good choice , enjoy it....

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42