What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Maxxus cover  (Read 7030 times)

greggle781

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Maxxus cover
« on: November 05, 2009, 03:09:53 pm »
Was just looking at some old posts regarding covers. I have a 2006 Sundance Maxxus that the cover needs to be replaced on. The cover is water logged and weighs a ton. I saw a post that told me to get a hold of Doc and get a cover from him. Doc,  would you be kind enough to reply so I can perhaps get one from your company? I have a three piece cover now that I see everyone complains about. I spoke with my dealer and he says the new Maxxus comes with a bi fold cover and I could use a Covermate III lifter. That seems like what I want except they want $700.00 for cover and $300.00 forCovermate III. I could buy a car cheaper!!!!!   Help. 

Hot Tub Forum

Maxxus cover
« on: November 05, 2009, 03:09:53 pm »

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
Re: Maxxus cover
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 06:10:35 pm »
I think Dr. Spa sells covers for about 50% of that cost...
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

txwillie

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 09:31:43 am »
I replaced my Maxxus cover this spring. It was hail damaged, but also starting to get heavy and show some wear. I think I was quoted ~ $600 for a factory replacement plus $125 shipping. The dealer said he had a guy that makes them for him and could save me ~$200. I did it and regret it.

First, the foam is 1# density vs. 2# for the factory Ideal cover. I knew this going in. I get the new cover, wow, it is light. (1 vs 2# density). Overall construction looks descent except for the pouch for the stereo remote that was velcro attached and looked like a monkey made it. I threw that out.

We were in a huge drought this summer, so almost no rain for months. When it did rain, the next time I opened the cover, the front section was full of water. It seeps in somehow, I'm sure due to poor design and construction.

Let me tell you, the cover is not light any more. It is ~ 5-6 months old and is totally water logged. I'll have to replace it soon. Have yet to talk to the dealer, but he pretty much just facilitated things. He probably got a 15% cut or so. I doubt I will get anything back from the fabricator.

My experience may just be a fluke, but next time I'm getting the cover from the factory. I basically threw away the $$ for this cover.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 10:16:31 am by txwillie »

greggle781

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 10:12:17 am »
Thanks for the reply. That's basically my fear. I see the aftermarket cover manufacturers require a template for them to make a cover. How weird is that. Sundance has made the same model Maxus for 5 years now. Everyone needs to make a template. Pathetic. And to boot they lure you in with a cheap price but then get marine grade material add this, thicker foam add this. I'm told Sundance went to a bi-fold cover from the dreaded tri-fold cover. The dealer wants $699.00 for the bi and $449.00 for the tri. I hate the tri. then of course the new Bi-fold wont work with my present lifter so add $300.00 more for a new CoverlifterIII. So a thousand dollars for a new set up. My old one isn't even four years old yet and weighs a thousand pounds from being water logged. Have a five year warranty, nope not covered. All 4 head rests rotted away, nope not covered. I just want a good cover without getting man handled. Really frustrated.

AAAAAAA

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 10:55:42 pm »
I hear you, but I wouldn't be afraid of getting some crap product from DOC or shammus. Those guys will get you a better then "stock" cover for sure. With the stock covers we don't know the foam density or rap thickness etc etc....

I have the tri fold as well and hate it.. it was heavy and damaged after the first 2 years..... It's important to follow a few tips such as don't use armoral and always leave your cover open when you do a shock treatement. Wish I knew that before.

However, I did not know that sundance now had a bifold that works with a lifter... That definitely intrigues me as the maxxus cover has that weird shape that can't be easily transited to aftermarket spa cover makers like that round end and the butt cheek end.

One would think it would be an easy call to the manufacturers to get the necessary cover dimensions and voila... I don't know why it's not like that.

txwillie

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 08:50:20 pm »
I paid I think about $100 for the guy to come out and template the thing. It has some "squares and arcs" vs the smooth radii of the original. I emailed with someone fron rhtubs and after all the hassle of me templating the thing, they were about $100 less then factory spec NIC shipping. AKA more expensive. Factory dude. Only way. The other guys sell for less because they provide less.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 08:50:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42