What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Why do manufacturers use such expensive heaters?  (Read 2289 times)

fatcabjimmy

Why do manufacturers use such expensive heaters?
« on: October 25, 2009, 05:05:02 pm »
I'm new to this forum, but Dr. Spa and others have been very helpful with my Son's spa problem. After reading many of the forum entries I've noticed that a lot of the problems are related to heaters, and that they are very expensive. I have an old (spelled ANTIQUE) spa I bought about 20 years ago, and the heater quit working after a short time. It has a brass cast tube through which the water circulates, and has a heater element screwed into the end of the tube. When I contacted a dealer they gave me what seemed to be a rediculous price for a simple heat element, and the one I removed looked exactly like a standard domestic water heater element, so I went to the local appliance repair shop and bought a 4000 watt water heater element. It cost me about $8, and fit and operated exactly like the original. I think the only difference was probably that the spa elements must be coated to be more corrosion resistant, but for the difference in price I can replace elements once a year and still be far ahead financially! Anyone know why they use the expensive units they do now, and would there be a market for one like I have, as a cheap replacement for the expensive units?

Hot Tub Forum

Why do manufacturers use such expensive heaters?
« on: October 25, 2009, 05:05:02 pm »

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
Re: Why do manufacturers use such expensive heaters?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 05:10:36 pm »
So we can drive gas guzzling trucks and ride high HP motorcycles ;D

Seriously, standard hot water heaters will not last long in a spa. The alloy the sheath is made is a lot of the cost. Properly cared for spa heaters will last many, many years. Hot water heaters you will lucky to get 6 months.

I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

fatcabjimmy

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 06:18:50 pm »
Thanks for the reply Gary.  I see your point, but it still hurts when you have to spend that money in a big chunk, even if it has been a few years since you replaced the heater before. I have averaged about a year, and sometimes two years per element, and they take about 10 minutes to change. I don't have to drain the tub to change it. I don't have to either drive 30 miles to the nearest tub dealer to buy one, or order it and wait for days and pay shipping on top of the retail cost of the heater. I just drive ten blocks and pay about 12 or 14 dollars (current price) and my tub is back up for another year or two.
  I guess I'm just an old penny pincher, but it works for me. :-)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 08:49:58 am »
So what did the spa element cost?  (I'm on year 6)
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

fatcabjimmy

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 01:33:42 pm »
OK  I SURRENDER  :-[
  I guess in the long run they aren't really THAT expensive.  It just seemed that way at first impression, but logically the dollars per year are about the same over the long term, and the power draw would probably be about the same over time. As I said, it's just that initial outlay that makes them seem expensive.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 01:33:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42