What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First time buyer, questions I should ask and opinions on my top two so far?  (Read 12404 times)

htownguy

Thanks guys I appreciate all the input.  Wet test is the goal next weekend, going to hit up both locations.  I understand Prodigy should be compared to the 300 series, but their prices were much higher, and just going on cost of Prodigy vs 300s I'd already just say prodigy, but since the deal on the 280 is so good I want to compare.  That and it'll be good to have something to reference against and to get a bargaining chip in the price haggling whichever way I go ;)

Thanks again to everyone and reading the other threads on wiring and such have been really helpful, I'm so glad I ran into this forum!

Hot Tub Forum

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Good to see you're taking the wet test, very wise. Make sure they have it at a temp you'll be comfortable with; I'd default to something like 100º if you have no preference (too hot or too cold will take away from the experience). It's always best to wet test both the same day unless distance or other factors make that uncontrollable.

When you get pricing, make sure they list everything you get so you can properly compare (steps, lifter, electrical subpanel, chems, etc.) and ask for a copy of the warranty so you can compare those as well (300 series and Hot Spring should be similar, 200 series may be a little lighter). It also won't hurt to let each of them know your decision is pending a wet test elsewhere. That may spur them to give you their best deal if they haven't already.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member

I don't go for the "this pump is bigger so more powerful jets". Jacuzzi has a different philosophy for their jets than HotSpring. At least that's what we were taught by the rep

Since the jets in the 200 series are the same as say 60/70 percent of the spas out there, including Tiger River (I believe) and not like those in the 300/400 series.  Jacuzzi's  philosophy kinda goes out the window regarding jets IMO  wouldn't you say?  While the 300 and 400 jets are better IMO than the 200 jets I sell the 200 for what it is rather than what is not, which its not a 300/400 series. Much like you probably pitch the differences from the HS line vs the Tiger River or Limelite spa one would hope?

And yes I also hate the my pump is bigger than your pump pitch when comparing similar spas with the same amount of pumps but a higher h,power, say a 2.5hp vs a 6hp pump And yes in that case the types of jets certainly would make a difference.  But in the case of the Prodigy compared to the  J-280 my opinion changes only because you are comparing an apple to a grape when it comes to size of the spa # of jets and # of pumps. I know the jets/filtration are better in the prodigy but for what the J-280 offers price wise its not comparable. Not that price always matters.    All in all like mentioned, it is up to what the person likes and what his needs are. 

Yes the other stuff is debatable - that is why I put IMO on my post. Any other HotSpring guys want to chime in - debating is a good thing. I would think it would be hard to debate the structural stability of a HotSpring. I could tell some good stories on some mishaps where I was glad we were dealing with HotSpring.

I would agree with that as well it would also be hard to debate the structural stability of a Jacuzzi,Sundance,Marquis,BeachComber,Arctic,Artesian,D1 and lets throw in a Caldera,Tiger River and Limelite as well.  Sorry if I left someone out!

Just my opinion of course.  ;D

htown guy your on the right track with a wet test, both are great spas you wouldn't go wrong with either one. 

Peteyboy

• 1991 HotSpring Classic - Tech since 1987

I don't go for the "this pump is bigger so more powerful jets". Jacuzzi has a different philosophy for their jets than HotSpring. At least that's what we were taught by the rep

Since the jets in the 200 series are the same as say 60/70 percent of the spas out there, including Tiger River (I believe) and not like those in the 300/400 series.  Jacuzzi's  philosophy kinda goes out the window regarding jets IMO  wouldn't you say?  While the 300 and 400 jets are better IMO than the 200 jets I sell the 200 for what it is rather than what is not, which its not a 300/400 series. Much like you probably pitch the differences from the HS line vs the Tiger River or Limelite spa one would hope?

And yes I also hate the my pump is bigger than your pump pitch when comparing similar spas with the same amount of pumps but a higher h,power, say a 2.5hp vs a 6hp pump And yes in that case the types of jets certainly would make a difference.  But in the case of the Prodigy compared to the  J-280 my opinion changes only because you are comparing an apple to a grape when it comes to size of the spa # of jets and # of pumps. I know the jets/filtration are better in the prodigy but for what the J-280 offers price wise its not comparable. Not that price always matters.    All in all like mentioned, it is up to what the person likes and what his needs are. 

Yes the other stuff is debatable - that is why I put IMO on my post. Any other HotSpring guys want to chime in - debating is a good thing. I would think it would be hard to debate the structural stability of a HotSpring. I could tell some good stories on some mishaps where I was glad we were dealing with HotSpring.

I would agree with that as well it would also be hard to debate the structural stability of a Jacuzzi,Sundance,Marquis,BeachComber,Arctic,Artesian,D1 and lets throw in a Caldera,Tiger River and Limelite as well.  Sorry if I left someone out!

htown guy your on the right track with a wet test, both are great spas you wouldn't go wrong with either one. 

I agree with some of what you say. You are right on the jets, the 200 series can't compare to the 300 or 400 series, thank you for the correction. I must disagree with the structural integrity issue. IMO I would put HotSpring above the others that I have been delivering for many years, Jacuzzi,  Sundance & Caldera. We have carried those brands and they are the ones I have personal experience with. Would you go up to a Sundance, Jacuzzi or Caldera and kick the side hard? This is how I show customers how strong HotSpring Spas are.
I am still not sure but believe HotSpring is the only one of at least that bunch that allows you to shim.

I love the fact that Sundance & Jacuzzi are together - IMO the Sundance control box was a major improvement for Jacuzzi and has put Jacuzzi near the top in reliability.

To the original poster htownguy - sorry I got into this long debate - the Jacuzzi is definitely a great spa. You won't go wrong with either choice.
spas are electrical devices and can be dangerous to repair - please use this advice at your own risk

htownguy

All good, I appreciate hearing anything about both sides since this is such a major purchase, most expensive thing I've ever bought besides the house, my car and one very long weekend in Vegas :)

Wet testing both will be the final decider, the other stuff seems pretty minimal besides the bottom line total cost, will post once I've done some driving to the dealers

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member

I agree with some of what you say. You are right on the jets, the 200 series can't compare to the 300 or 400 series, thank you for the correction. I must disagree with the structural integrity issue. IMO I would put HotSpring above the others that I have been delivering for many years, Jacuzzi,  Sundance & Caldera. We have carried those brands and they are the ones I have personal experience with. Would you go up to a Sundance, Jacuzzi or Caldera and kick the side hard? This is how I show customers how strong HotSpring Spas are.
I am still not sure but believe HotSpring is the only one of at least that bunch that allows you to shim.

I love the fact that Sundance & Jacuzzi are together - IMO the Sundance control box was a major improvement for Jacuzzi and has put Jacuzzi near the top in reliability.

To the original poster htownguy - sorry I got into this long debate - the Jacuzzi is definitely a great spa. You won't go wrong with either choice.

Well I suppose if the customer wanted to kick his spa now and then that would be fine, I could kick a Jacuzzi pretty dang hard and it would probably be fine.  But, kicking a spa doesn't exactly prove the structural stability of a spa.  It just proves you can kick it and hopefully not damage it.  I think you have been lucky in this regard not actually damaging the spa skirt.

Bout the only time I ever wanted to kick my spa would have been after watching a recent SeaHawks game >:(    :'(  

As far as shimming, I have shimmed many a Jacuzzi with out any issues, if its done right, then it shouldn't be an issue.  And I would be willing to guess  if a HS owner shimmed his spa with say just a 4x4 on one end with no support underneath and there was an issue I doubt even H,Springs wouldn't cover that, if they in fact knew how it was shimmed. Could be wrong?

Anyway we can go on and on the site could use a little action, anyone else care to chime in??

Peteyboy

I'm sticking to my guns on the structure issue. I wouldn't kick a Jacuzzi and to say "if a customer wanted to kick their spa" is kind of ridiculous - I think you know what my point was. I've dropped spas off trailers on the road, dropped stacks of 3 spas, etc and never had a problem with any of them. I've NEVER hurt a HotSpring kicking it and to me it does show how well they are built.
The 4x4 statement is also kind of ridiculous. We shim the spa the correct way per the instructions that HotSpring includes - Jacuzzi doesn't because they don't want them shimmed (there is a reason).

Bottom line they are both excellent spas, are different in many ways and we all have our opinions.

I very much enjoyed this - I can tell we are both passionate about the brands we carry.

I think if anyone wants to continue this another thread should be started. I feel bad that I kind of hijacked this thread and I apologize to the thread starter.
spas are electrical devices and can be dangerous to repair - please use this advice at your own risk

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
I think if anyone wants to continue this another thread should be started. I feel bad that I kind of hijacked this thread and I apologize to the thread starter.

That was my favorite part of the past couple posts; probably time to take it off line or in another thread cause I think the ping pong ball will keep going back and forth.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Water Boy

I've dropped spas off trailers on the road, dropped stacks of 3 spas, etc and never had a problem with any of them.  :o :o

Holy Cow. How many spas have you dropped Petey? Sounds like it has happened several times before. Is that normal?
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
I've dropped spas off trailers on the road, dropped stacks of 3 spas, etc and never had a problem with any of them.  :o :o

Holy Cow. How many spas have you dropped Petey? Sounds like it has happened several times before. Is that normal?

Surprised he still has a job, no matter what brand.  Or he just never said anything?  ;)

I'm done.

Peteyboy

I was having one of those days. This is what happens when you get old.

While my response was politically correct it was uncalled for and I apologize.

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42