What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pre Wire, is this ok?  (Read 9249 times)

jbequer

Re: Pre Wire, is this ok?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 12:09:47 pm »
I know a contractor that said he wired many spa's this way without failing inspections. I have also heard that it depends on the area one lives in. I live in california, has anoyone heard of this being a problem in california?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 12:09:47 pm »

zroger73

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 01:52:51 pm »
I know a contractor that said he wired many spa's this way without failing inspections. I have also heard that it depends on the area one lives in. I live in california, has anoyone heard of this being a problem in california?

You asked a specific question and I was just giving you a specific answer direct from the NEC. It's called National Electrical Code, not California Electrical Code. Lots of individuals and some contractors do things that aren't up to code. Most work, some don't. Some things we think are stupid do have a basis for being included in code - whether it's for safety, performance, troubleshooting, etc. It also depends on how thorough the inspector is and how familiar he is with the things he's supposed to be looking out for. Often, a code inspector may see a perfect conduit run and everything operates and tests properly without knowing the conduit may be filled with pink wire with paper insulation.

As stated already, a properly connected ground wire will provide a proper ground regardless if it's bare, green, black, lavender, mocha, or clear. But, if your code inspector catches it, you'll have to pull a proper-colored ground wire. Also, you may not be concerned about it, but for those that come after you who may be troubleshooting, imagine that an electrician who needs to identify the ground wire halfway through the conduit run. If all the wires are black, there's no way to visually identify the ground wire.

Again, do what you want. I'm just telling you what the rules are.
2008 Hot Spring Sovereign II with Tri-X filters
Ozone, Nature2, and dichlor only

jbequer

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 02:50:44 pm »
I got this fron NEC codes. I guess it is a violation, but it is being done . It's all up to the inspector.

For conductors 6 AWG and smaller, the equipment grounding conductor is identified by green outer finish or green with yellow stripe(s).
(A) Conductors Larger Than 6 AWG. 
Insulated conductors 4 AWG and larger can be permanently reidentified when installed by: 
(1) Stripping the insulation from the length of the exposed conductor
(2) Coloring the exposed insulation or covering green
(3) Marking the exposed insulation or covering with green tape or green adhesive labels

Comment: The “equipment grounding conductor” is commonly and incorrectly referred to as “ground wire” or “green wire”. This conductor bonds together the metal enclosures and raceways to the grounded conductor or grounding electrode conductor at the service. Metallic raceways can be and are often the equipment grounding conductor, see NEC [Section 250.118]. The identification requirements are similar to that of the grounded conductor, and remarking a 6 AWG and smaller conductor with green phase tape is a violation, although it is commonly done. [/color]

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 02:51:17 pm »
has anoyone heard of this being a problem in california?

YES. But it depends on the inspector...if he sees and if he's aware of the code.

Why not just buy 4 separate, different and proper colored wires to begin with??????????
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 02:54:18 pm by Dr. Spa™ »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

jbequer

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 02:52:09 pm »
Sorry here it is again.. Last line.

For conductors 6 AWG and smaller, the equipment grounding conductor is identified by green outer finish or green with yellow stripe(s).
(A) Conductors Larger Than 6 AWG. 
Insulated conductors 4 AWG and larger can be permanently reidentified when installed by: 
(1) Stripping the insulation from the length of the exposed conductor
(2) Coloring the exposed insulation or covering green
(3) Marking the exposed insulation or covering with green tape or green adhesive labels

Comment: The “equipment grounding conductor” is commonly and incorrectly referred to as “ground wire” or “green wire”. This conductor bonds together the metal enclosures and raceways to the grounded conductor or grounding electrode conductor at the service. Metallic raceways can be and are often the equipment grounding conductor, see NEC [Section 250.118]. The identification requirements are similar to that of the grounded conductor, and remarking a 6 AWG and smaller conductor with green phase tape is a violation, although it is commonly done.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 02:53:24 pm »
Go back to the code book, and look SPECIFICALLY at the section regarding pools and spa...it'll probably have some different requirements.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

jbequer

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 02:54:42 pm »
Four colored #6 wires 50 amp is going to run  close to $400.  I can get the same for $136 at Lowes, same wire..

jbequer

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2009, 02:56:30 pm »
I did not see any specification on pool and spa's in the code book?? Specificaly, phasing colors on #6 wire.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 03:37:42 pm by jbequer »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 03:12:53 pm »
Check Article 680 (what year NEC are you looking at?)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 03:16:55 pm by Dr. Spa™ »

jbequer

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 03:28:32 pm »
I still have not read where they say that #6 cannot be phased.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 03:37:23 pm »
Anything under 680.25 (sorry, I don't currently hve a copy of the current code book).

jbequer

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 03:38:50 pm »
That's where i am reading. Nothing on phasing #6 wire..

just ducky

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 09:23:59 pm »
....somewhere I remember in all the paper work for pulling a permit a disclaimer saying something to the effect that inspectors weren't responsible for any job being up to code even if they approved it.

Well...kind of.  It really doesn't matter what's printed on the permit.  The fact is the law has this little disclaimer known as "governmental immunity", which in layman's terms says if a government employee is doing their job to the best of their ability, and not blatantly ignoring their responsibilities, doing anything malicious or intentionally breaking the law, they have immunity from prosecution.  This is tested all the time (can't stop someone from filing a lawsuit), but unless there is evidence of any of those things, the judge will throw it out.

Again guys, as I said before inspectors do make mistakes too.  But if you are sued, the first thing the lawyers will ask is did you get a permit for the work.  If you had an inspection done by your code official, and the work was approved (whether code worthy or not), no judge will find you liable.   That's all I was saying.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 09:23:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42