What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Double Moto not working--UPDATE  (Read 11373 times)

kervis

• runnergirl
Double Moto not working--UPDATE
« on: September 20, 2009, 12:28:45 pm »
Not too long ago, I realized that my double moto-massage was not moto-ing.  Water comes out, but it doesn't go up and down.  I am draining the tub now and was hoping someone would reply immediately! and tell me how to fix it without breaking anything else.  No, I am not handy.  Thanks!

Thanks for your replies.  I took your advice, paid the $40 and watched the tech install it.  Indeed, one of the hoses had a hole in it in the end closest to where it attaches and I'm sure where the force is greatest when it is in motion.  I was surprised to see how simple of a contraption it was.  Should any of my motos fail again, I would not hesitate to try and replace it myself.  Apparently it is common for them to fail after 5 years or so. Happy ending for me! 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 01:40:14 pm by kervis »
2005 HS Vanguard

Hot Tub Forum

Double Moto not working--UPDATE
« on: September 20, 2009, 12:28:45 pm »

kervis

• runnergirl
Re: Double Moto not working--help please!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 01:38:12 pm »
Ok, I have popped off the decorative screw covers--it was so nice and easy.  I have unscrewed the 2 top ones and am waiting for the water to drain down some more.  I am unable to unscrew the bottom screw--lots of sealant or something came out all over the place-yuck.  I also just read my Hot Tub Manual--it was of no help for those do-it-yourself repairs, darn it.

We'll see how it goes here, and I can call and see if my dealer is in today.  Maybe they can talk me through it on the phone.

Please reply if you are able!  Thanks.
2005 HS Vanguard

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 03:12:50 pm »
Well, there was a skinny hose thing in the  middle of the contraption.  i took it apart, and of course, could not get it back together correctly....Oh well.  It wasn't working anyway, so nothing lost there.

I'm filling the tub now, so too late to call the dealer.  Even though the gas prices have dropped since it used to be $4 a gallon, they have kept their $50 trip charge.  I'm going to have a nice list before I call them. 

It would be nice if they kept a data base of people in my neighborhood that had a tub.  That way, we could all share in the cost and the van would only have to make one trip out, circle the 'hood and head 10 miles back to the store.

2005 HS Vanguard

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 06:07:02 pm »
Those moto massage jets sure look nice, was wondering how this would go.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 08:14:38 pm »
I finally called the dealer as my tub was filling.  He told me that the part (whole moto thingy) was covered under my 5-yr. warranty!  Wahoo!!  He was a bit surprised that it only lasted 3 years.

For a $40 trip fee, they will replace it for me.  I could also bring the part in and they would give me the new part and I could install it myself. 

Since I need some chemicals anyway, I think I'll head in and ask them to show me how to do it.  If it's easy enough I may just give it a try myself.   :)
2005 HS Vanguard

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 08:47:01 pm »
If it were me, I would probably call and them and ask them to bring my chemicals and pay the $40.00 for the repair. If you run into any problems, you will end up having them come anyway. It would be such a relief for you to know it will be properly repaired rather than worry about how to do it yourself..That's just me, but for $40, I think the peace of mind might be worth it. My dealer has always been more than happy to bring my chemicals along whenever he has had to do anything to my tub.
Good luck  ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 11:05:11 am »
Let us know how it goes for you.  If I was in the market today, I would definitely be wet testing one of a couple of HS spas with the moto massage.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Renee

• '07 Jacuzzi J-365 in Nebraska
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 11:25:04 am »
If it were me, I would probably call and them and ask them to bring my chemicals and pay the $40.00 for the repair. If you run into any problems, you will end up having them come anyway. It would be such a relief for you to know it will be properly repaired rather than worry about how to do it yourself..That's just me, but for $40, I think the peace of mind might be worth it. My dealer has always been more than happy to bring my chemicals along whenever he has had to do anything to my tub.
Good luck  ;)

I agree with Bonibelle.  You can watch to see how the tech fixes it, and will know for sure how to do it yourself next time (take notes!)
I remember asking about those breaking down when we were looking at HS tubs.   But it sounded like a simple fix if/when they stopped working.
Good luck!

Spiderman

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 08:06:54 pm »
The #1 cause (at least in my experience) for the Moto not going up and down is simply dirty filters and/or the main diverter valve or comfort control valves not seated or open all the way. 
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 11:29:56 am »
The #1 cause (at least in my experience) for the Moto not going up and down is simply dirty filters and/or the main diverter valve or comfort control valves not seated or open all the way. 

Meaning just not enough water pressure to make it operate?

96SC

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 11:56:18 am »
We had the same problem once in our Vanguard, turned out that someone had turned the 'diverter' for the Moto to off.  A twist of the wrist and things were fine.  Someone may have turned your main diverter also.  i didn't see where those were double checked.  After all your calls and $40 I hope that wasn't it.
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 11:57:21 am »
So Kervis, did you get things straightened out? Was the repair as easy as you expected? I have to really give you credit for wanting to repair it yourself. Let us know the outcome.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

kervis

• runnergirl
Re: Double Moto not working--UPDATE
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 06:21:45 pm »
Well, thought I'd try something new and modify my original post with the update.  That part worked, I just don't think it got moved to the top of the list since I didn't hit "reply".  Make sure to read my very first post as well as this one.

One thing that the tech did ask me was, "Have you had your pH extremely low for 2 weeks or more?"  I didn't ask him why, only because I have the opposite problem!  Apparently we Minnesotans have high pH/alk.
Perhaps it would eat away at the hose?

I do keep my filters nice and clean and that item was in my manual I think, so I had checked the filters and the valves.

So, all things considered, the $40 was well-spent and my back is happy too!!
2005 HS Vanguard

Peteyboy

• 1991 HotSpring Classic - Tech since 1987
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 09:10:22 am »
Just a quick reply to the pH problem. High pH will cause a calcium build up which can affect the moto jet, mess with other jets, pump seals, heaters, and the circulation pump. Low pH is worse in that it is acidic water and can corrode parts quicker.
spas are electrical devices and can be dangerous to repair - please use this advice at your own risk

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 09:10:22 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42